Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much should I get paid an hour?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Windowwarrior

Hi, was just wondering how much I should get paid an hour using eater fed pole . Cash in hand . 8 to 9 hours a day sometimes 10 Usually it's just houses we do but sometimes could be businesses or schools . Mainly houses though . Thanks

If it's cash in hand then way more than minimum wage as you get no holiday pay, job security, sick pay, etc plus you are not paying national insurance so will be not earning any gov pension. You will be paying no tax so no provable income if you want a loan or mortgage.

Unless it's very very well paid then look for something else that employed, cash in hand is so iffy, I would try and find alternative work asap.

However much you want to earn if self employed

If employed, you shouldn't be earning cash in hand you're doing yourself a disservice. You should be on £10 an hour bare minimum on the books

Well I get £15 an hour and extra when I do businesses. Thats not cash in hand it's through the books . But I got asked for advice from someone I know and some guy was offering peanuts and to be honest in today's climate and the server lack of jobs in my area I dont really blame him for taking what he can. If not him it would be the next person . Bit hard when you have to toss up between being legal and pleasing the tax man or getting what woek you can to feed your family I know what my choice would be ?
Hope your declaring your income

How much are you getting paid for a 9 hour days? Do you get any perks bonus? Paid holidays?
I get 15 an hour . Some perks but I'm happy with that to be honest. I get extra if we do businesses . But as for daily rate I don't know what to suggest to him haha

£15 an hour is an excellent rate if you are on the books. when ive had a helper ive paid them £10 an hour anymore than that and its not really worth it working out of the same van.

£15 an hour is an excellent rate if you are on the books. when ive had a helper ive paid them £10 an hour anymore than that and its not really worth it working out of the same van.
I think it depends ware you are and what type of work you are doing , my guys are on £16.25 per hour domestic and £18.75 commercial, plus bonuses at the end of the month if they have reached certain targets . We work 2 per van I found paying cheaper didn’t work well and we had some issues but since increasing wages they are all a lot more motivated and very rarely do we get any problems. Ime in the process of down sizing and they are buying their rounds and vans so it’s also in their interest to do a good job as the work will become theirs .

I think it depends ware you are and what type of work you are doing , my guys are on £16.25 per hour domestic and £18.75 commercial, plus bonuses at the end of the month if they have reached certain targets . We work 2 per van I found paying cheaper didn’t work well and we had some issues but since increasing wages they are all a lot more motivated and very rarely do we get any problems. Ime in the process of down sizing and they are buying their rounds and vans so it’s also in their interest to do a good job as the work will become theirs .

It does depend you are right.

It depends on how much profit you are happy to make.

Using myself as an example working solo i can do about £300 a day on domestic windows in around 6 hours with an employee we would do £500 but would be paying them for 8 hours. At 16.25 ph plus holidays etc they would be costing me nearly 150 a day now personally im not prepared to go to the hassle of having staff and the extra workload etc to make 50 quid a day extra. But of course down south i may be able to do 700 a day as a 2 man team which changes things drastically.

It does depend you are right.

It depends on how much profit you are happy to make.

Using myself as an example working solo i can do about £300 a day on domestic windows in around 6 hours with an employee we would do £500 but would be paying them for 8 hours. At 16.25 ph plus holidays etc they would be costing me nearly 150 a day now personally im not prepared to go to the hassle of having staff and the extra workload etc to make 50 quid a day extra. But of course down south i may be able to do 700 a day as a 2 man team which changes things drastically.
Yes I agree our daily takings are significantly higher than the figures you have quoted I wouldn’t bother either for £50 a day , being on your own does have its advantages , we do a fair bit of commercial and bigger manor houses which couldn’t be done on your own so I have 2 per van and it works very well some days the margins are a lot higher than others ,I try to have each round similar values but that’s not always possible. I tend to look at the end of month figures rather than each day, but accept what works in one place won’t work in another .

Back