Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much does it cost to run your van?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

As title, how much on average are you spending on your van each year in repair costs?

I'm just evaluating it as mine is in yet again for more work and it's starting to get a bit over the top now, but I don't know whether it's unreasonable or if it should be expected given the heavy loads that it's carrying daily. So just wondering how everyone else gets on with keeping the vans running. Mine is working out at £30 per week on average for the last 3 years (repairs not fuel or anything else) and the mileage is about 8k per year.

A) Less than £1k
B) £1k to £2k
C) £2k to £3k
D) £3k+

Also state your mileage.

Less than 1k a year I only do around 4,000 miles a year.

It depends on what you are spending in terms of repairs mine has all been wear and tear issues front o/s now on 3rd coil spring had top mounts done roll bar linkage etc and had to have a new damper fitted a few weeks ago, after the last repair bill was just over £400 I had started to wonder if it's because of the weight,

I reverse onto our sloping driveway and for years I have always filled the van tank on an evening so it's sat with that weight in for around 15 hours without moving I have since started to fill up in the morning to hopefully avoid issues in the near future, also the driveway has begun to sink a bit as well so that's an extra expense getting that sorted

On repairs I have spent nothing in five years.The only work was two front tyres last year and injectors replaced under warranty Year before.
Transit custom 27k on the clock about 5-6k a year.Great van.

I’ve had older vans and experienced the same issues myself you also have to factor in loss of work when the van is in the garage.
I will alway try to buy new or nearly new with warranty

I’ve had older vans and experienced the same issues myself you also have to factor in loss of work when the van is in the garage.
I will alway try to buy new or nearly new with warranty
This is exactly what I'm working out and the reason why I'm seriously looking at it. Currently my van is at the garage, yesterday was the MOT so that can't be avoided, always a day for that, but I've got today and then tomorrow. This is lost income as I won't catch up with that, a couple of years ago I could but now my diary is pretty full so it's at best a days lost income and more than likely 3 days and could be more. I purposely don't overwork myself and have plenty of time spare for working extra hours but it will still cost me lost income.

Also the affect of not being able to go and do quotes, I could lose a job due to not being able to go and do a quote. It all has to be factored in. A £1k bill at the garage might as well be a £2k bill when you factor in everything else.

Just trying to work out what's reasonable and what's to be expected with the nature of the work.

This is exactly what I'm working out and the reason why I'm seriously looking at it. Currently my van is at the garage, yesterday was the MOT so that can't be avoided, always a day for that, but I've got today and then tomorrow. This is lost income as I won't catch up with that, a couple of years ago I could but now my diary is pretty full so it's at best a days lost income and more than likely 3 days and could be more. I purposely don't overwork myself and have plenty of time spare for working extra hours but it will still cost me lost income.

Also the affect of not being able to go and do quotes, I could lose a job due to not being able to go and do a quote. It all has to be factored in. A £1k bill at the garage might as well be a £2k bill when you factor in everything else.

Just trying to work out what's reasonable and what's to be expected with the nature of the work.
I don't know how you can't do quotes almost all mine for the last 5 years or more have been done through messenger or WhatsApp it's very rare I need to go out in person to quote a job

As title, how much on average are you spending on your van each year in repair costs?

I'm just evaluating it as mine is in yet again for more work and it's starting to get a bit over the top now, but I don't know whether it's unreasonable or if it should be expected given the heavy loads that it's carrying daily. So just wondering how everyone else gets on with keeping the vans running. Mine is working out at £30 per week on average for the last 3 years (repairs not fuel or anything else) and the mileage is about 8k per year.

A) Less than £1k
B) £1k to £2k
C) £2k to £3k
D) £3k+

Also state your mileage.
Less id say with all usual wear n tear 300-500 service and MOT my Van 03 so 20yrs + still good 119639 mileage paid 900 sooner pay that than a finance option at present as not in situation to pay out loads at mo

I wouldn't put the van in on a weekday for an mot, every year when the mot and a service is due il drop the van off on the Friday night and I have it back for 12 on the Saturday. When buying a van or a car I tend to not buy new but I wouldn't buy something with more than 30k millage on it. Unless I was leasing then it would be new.

I wouldn't put the van in on a weekday for an mot, every year when the mot and a service is due il drop the van off on the Friday night and I have it back for 12 on the Saturday. When buying a van or a car I tend to not buy new but I wouldn't buy something with more than 30k millage on it. Unless I was leasing then it would be new.
If only garage is round corner 80yds away but don't open on a weekend unfortunately for what I've paid ots been going 3yrs with nothing major needed ?

Less id say with all usual wear n tear 300-500 service and MOT my Van 03 so 20yrs + still good 119639 mileage paid 900 sooner pay that than a finance option at present as not in situation to pay out loads at mo

Aslong as it looks reasonable I'd keep it until it breaks. I'm putting money away the now that's going to be used when I need a new van. Il hopefully still have a few years before I need a new one but it would absolutely sicken me paying £450 to £500 a month on a van. You could get a very good m2 or m3 for that sort of payment.

Aslong as it looks reasonable I'd keep it until it breaks. I'm putting money away the now that's going to be used when I need a new van. Il hopefully still have a few years before I need a new one but it would absolutely sicken me paying £450 to £500 a month on a van. You could get a very good m2 or m3 for that sort of payment.
That's the thing, I don't think anyone would pay that much per month but I don't think it is that much. If an older van is costing say £2k per year but a new van would cost say £4k per year, well I've not looked at the tax side of it but it might be a better option because of potential tax savings.

Hopefully thats the plan run it til it can run no longer

My van is 2008 so 15 years old. I have recently spent a few bob on it.
Parts, 2 shocks, 2 struts, 2 leaf springs, PS reservoir, Back shoes, plate & fittings.
Those all came to nearly a grand but I could fit most of them myself.
My mate the mechanic has to fit oil cooler and power steering pump (£200 for parts)
Not sure what my mate will charge me but he needs to take the bumper and front off
so at least £200.
A new van I want is £50k so I'll need to save up.

18 plate vivaro, 60k miles, 40 quid a month insurance, 25 road tax, since September I've had the van in for an EGR valve replacement and new brakes, about £800 all together.

I do about £70 in diesel a week as I live in the sticks

That's the thing, I don't think anyone would pay that much per month but I don't think it is that much. If an older van is costing say £2k per year but a new van would cost say £4k per year, well I've not looked at the tax side of it but it might be a better option because of potential tax savings.

Around £450 to £500 is what youl pay a month for a good van without a good deposit.

Latest Posts

Back