Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much does it cost to run your van?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just got mine back now, the bill was a hell of a lot less than I expected, was expecting £500+ but was actually just over £100. The mechanics said it's a lovely looking van and people who had seen it were commenting at how clean and good condition it was. They were surprised to hear that it was a work van. Makes you feel good when you hear stuff like that, I have spent a fair bit on it and have tried to clean it up a bit over recent years.

Half of the battle is finding a reputable garage. I went 15 miles away to have it tested as I just felt that it was a better set up and they were more experienced mechanics running a big operation doing lots of business trucks, vans etc.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that less than £1k is the norm and probably a fair bit less than that. I've had a fair few repairs done over the last couple of years so just have to see how it goes, maybe the big repairs are out the way... who knows ?

Just got mine back now, the bill was a hell of a lot less than I expected, was expecting £500+ but was actually just over £100. The mechanics said it's a lovely looking van and people who had seen it were commenting at how clean and good condition it was. They were surprised to hear that it was a work van. Makes you feel good when you hear stuff like that, I have spent a fair bit on it and have tried to clean it up a bit over recent years.

Half of the battle is finding a reputable garage. I went 15 miles away to have it tested as I just felt that it was a better set up and they were more experienced mechanics running a big operation doing lots of business trucks, vans etc.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that less than £1k is the norm and probably a fair bit less than that. I've had a fair few repairs done over the last couple of years so just have to see how it goes, maybe the big repairs are out the way... who knows ?
Just make sure you get a new Timing belt and assembly, fit a new water pump at the same time. That will last you 6 years but you may be lucky and have a chain.

This is exactly what I'm working out and the reason why I'm seriously looking at it. Currently my van is at the garage, yesterday was the MOT so that can't be avoided, always a day for that, but I've got today and then tomorrow. This is lost income as I won't catch up with that, a couple of years ago I could but now my diary is pretty full so it's at best a days lost income and more than likely 3 days and could be more. I purposely don't overwork myself and have plenty of time spare for working extra hours but it will still cost me lost income.

Also the affect of not being able to go and do quotes, I could lose a job due to not being able to go and do a quote. It all has to be factored in. A £1k bill at the garage might as well be a £2k bill when you factor in everything else.

Just trying to work out what's reasonable and what's to be expected with the nature of the work.
I decided after a few years of being wfp to go for a new van.mine is 6 years old now with 20k on the clock.only replaced 2 tyres and serviced every year currently

Ironically enough I only work part time now so it's easy to work around if van in garage....

The key is not to have a full round EVER as they'll always be situations stopping you working from time to time....holidays,illness,injury,dentist,doctors,etc....

Also you ll get very very bored of window cleaning If you take on too much work....it'll seem like a never ending slog!(trust me I've been there!)?

I decided after a few years of being wfp to go for a new van.mine is 6 years old now with 20k on the clock.only replaced 2 tyres and serviced every year currently

Ironically enough I only work part time now so it's easy to work around if van in garage....

The key is not to have a full round EVER as they'll always be situations stopping you working from time to time....holidays,illness,injury,dentist,doctors,etc....

Also you ll get very very bored of window cleaning If you take on too much work....it'll seem like a never ending slog!(trust me I've been there!)?
That's actually what I've done and I've based my business model on yours, it is a perfect business model. The problem I've had though is last year it was off the road for about 2 weeks and the year before it was off the road for 3 weeks. There is no catching up when it's like that, it's always going to be lost income. Thankfully this time it has had a relatively 'normal' MOT and maybe I have just had all the big jobs done, but I just don't know hence the reason why I asked what others spend so I can try and prepare a plan for A) repair work and B) what's best for the business. If it was no more than 3 days and cost less than £1k per year, I can accept that. It's when it's over £1k and over 10 days that it becomes very costly. Another problem I'm having is with it being a 20 year old van the parts are now starting to be hard to come by, as many are now obsolete.

Another problem I'm having is with it being a 20 year old van the parts are now starting to be hard to come by, as many are now obsolete.
Sorry to say but a 20 year old van is going to be expensive to maintain. I would certainly start saving up for something newer, as you say losing 10 days to 3 weeks will cost you maybe more than a newer van would!

Talking to a DPD delivery driver in an all electric transit. He said it's great and he hasn't paid to charge it yet. He was saying it does 144 miles fully loaded.
Not sure what the payload is though.

That's actually what I've done and I've based my business model on yours, it is a perfect business model. The problem I've had though is last year it was off the road for about 2 weeks and the year before it was off the road for 3 weeks. There is no catching up when it's like that, it's always going to be lost income. Thankfully this time it has had a relatively 'normal' MOT and maybe I have just had all the big jobs done, but I just don't know hence the reason why I asked what others spend so I can try and prepare a plan for A) repair work and B) what's best for the business. If it was no more than 3 days and cost less than £1k per year, I can accept that. It's when it's over £1k and over 10 days that it becomes very costly. Another problem I'm having is with it being a 20 year old van the parts are now starting to be hard to come by, as many are now obsolete.
So what if it’s lost income?
None of us live hand to mouth or we wouldn’t do this job
Take it on the chin and if it gets to the point you need a new one just get one
I worried before then bought a kangoo that trashed itself within a year so you never know what will happen
Life’s too short to worry about a bit of cash here and there

Why dont you just use a car if your van is off the road. Backpack and barrels to cover you till your van is back on road. Quote via your car. Hire one if you dont own one.
If a van needs to go in the garage for repairs to warrant van hire then it's time to replace the van as no run-of-the-mill repair should take more than 1-2 days in a garage, if an established business can't take the hit on two days of lost earnings something is Pete Tong

That is really cheap, for that many miles on the clock, you're doing very well with that.
The problem seams to be getting a vehicle fixed if it breaks down around here it’s difficult to get it into a decent garage for 2-4 weeks at least , I have just had one of our vans mot and it was 4 weeks Waite just for that .

I deal with a local garage in my town he always looks after me once I had the starter motor go was towed in to his garage I phoned him on the way by the time I got there he had a replacement and had me back on the road by mid afternoon.I always deal with him with my car as well he is very reasonable hence to say at Xmas I always drop some treats in for him and his workers

I deal with a local garage in my town he always looks after me once I had the starter motor go was towed in to his garage I phoned him on the way by the time I got there he had a replacement and had me back on the road by mid afternoon.I always deal with him with my car as well he is very reasonable hence to say at Xmas I always drop some treats in for him and his workers
I have a few good contacts but usually they are booked up solid for weeks the only ones that can do stuff straight away are very dodgy garages . From booking my cars in for a service at the local dealers it’s always a minimum of 3-4 weeks ahead ??

If a van needs to go in the garage for repairs to warrant van hire then it's time to replace the van as no run-of-the-mill repair should take more than 1-2 days in a garage, if an established business can't take the hit on two days of lost earnings something is Pete Tong
My van was off the road for about two months when the turbo blew and knackard the engine. Got by using a car window cleaning and managed to do one gutter job on three blocks of flats that paid the majority of the repair bill..
Just took Sky Vac Industrial off trolley and in wheelie bin liners so car wasn't covered in mud.. Van runs fine now with new engine. Only thing you can't do with a car is pressure wash unless you have a trailer and tow bar.

My van was off the road for about two months when the turbo blew and knackard the engine. Got by using a car window cleaning and managed to do one gutter job on three blocks of flats that paid the majority of the repair bill..
Just took Sky Vac Industrial off trolley and in wheelie bin liners so car wasn't covered in mud.. Van runs fine now with new engine. Only thing you can't do with a car is pressure wash unless you have a trailer and tow bar.
?

Ahh but if you'd gone to Simon in the first place it might have been sorted sooner ?

Doubt he would have wanted the job. Not many garages want that kind of job..
A couple of years ago maybe but not sure now as he is so busy with the usual stuff he just turns away bigger jobs I've been in there and he has turned jobs away no different to us I guess why chew on if you don't need to

The problem seams to be getting a vehicle fixed if it breaks down around here it’s difficult to get it into a decent garage for 2-4 weeks at least , I have just had one of our vans mot and it was 4 weeks Waite just for that .
That's exactly what it's like around me, that's why it's such an issue. It's not that it takes 3 weeks to repair the van, it probably takes 3 days on a biggish job, but it seems to take 3 weeks due to them not being able to get it in straight away.

So what if it’s lost income?
None of us live hand to mouth or we wouldn’t do this job
Take it on the chin and if it gets to the point you need a new one just get one
I worried before then bought a kangoo that trashed itself within a year so you never know what will happen
Life’s too short to worry about a bit of cash here and there
It's not just a bit of cash though is it Dave, we're talking about a very nice holiday type of money when you factor in the cost of the repairs and the lost income.

Why dont you just use a car if your van is off the road. Backpack and barrels to cover you till your van is back on road. Quote via your car. Hire one if you dont own one.
That's something considered, it's the cost of maintaining, taxing, mot for a second vehicle though. Having somewhere to keep it is another issue.

I'm waiting for my mate to give me a shout to bring my van in. I need a new oil cooler and a power steering pump fitted. He was saying his problem is parts after he strips down an engine he may find what's wrong and it can take many days for parts to arrive. He doesn't really want a vehicle on the ramp until the parts arrive so he has begun to use his trolly jack and has even worked outside his garage on sunny days. Soon all the other units complain about the amount of cars being parked up till the parts arrive.

Latest Posts

Back