Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much work do you get through your website?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've been toying with getting a website up and running but dont understand too much about them. I dont want to invest money and have it stuck way low down in the rankings where nobody is ever going to see it, let alone click on it!

Guys who have websites, how much time/effort/cash have you had to put in to get a reasonable amount of work from your website? 
None at all. Don’t have a website 

As well as people finding your site via google there is also another advantage to having a website. That is if someone sees your trading name on a van or leaflet they can look you up online and see your website promoting your services and selling your business. 

First thing to do is google window cleaner near you or in xx area and see how many companies come up. If they are proper websites from companies or individuals then you will see how much competition your site will have. If they are lots of directory sites then it might be easier to beat them. 

One thing to really be careful of is companies saying they can get you on the front page of google etc. They are making claims they can't guarantee, unless they are just claiming to get you to page 1 for your own company name - but that's easy as no competition.  

I would say get a site from someone you trust - there is at least 1 company on here who appear to have a reasonable reputation, don't expect to get masses of business from it, but the enquiries you get will be from people who genuinely want a window cleaner!
And to add to Ched's well informed reply, I've you have QR codes printed on your leaflets business cards and van the traffic to website will increase. By far the easiest SEO method 

Who does your website I'm paying £420 per year?
What are you getting for £420 a year? If it's just to make the odd tweak you ask for and hosting then they are taking the mickey. If they are actively promoting your site and gaining good back links and your site is climbing in google then OK. 

If you search google with something like ' window cleaner in XXX area' and XXX is the area you cover does your site come up on page 1? If not then I don't think they are very good value for money!

By all means send me a personal message if you don't want to discuss in public.

And to add to Ched's well informed reply, I've you have QR codes printed on your leaflets business cards and van the traffic to website will increase. By far the easiest SEO method 
Agree with you about Ched, whose replies from what I've seen, are consistently worth reading. And you're right that QR codes can be useful. But in terms of generating more traffic it's anything but easy SEO. On average a 3% increase in click through rate for a particular keyword increases organic ranking by one spot.

So  a low ranking site on page 2 or 3 is going to need a 30% increase in CTR to go up 1 page. That is a huge increase in traffic and easier said than done. But let's assume it's easily done, the page that is getting all this traffic needs to be good and properly optimised for that particular keyword otherwise users will click on and bounce off again resulting in a high bounce rate.

Just as Google may interpret a high volume of traffic as a sign of quality and give a page / site a ranking boost, they are just as likely if not more so to interpret a high bounce rate as a lack of quality. They look at bounce rate to assess whether a page / site satisfies users need. If people click on and bounce straight off again search engines may see that as it not being up to scratch - that may well lead to a drop in ranking. If a page appears not to give users what they want it will drop down.

It's not definitely what will happen but is a consideration, and increased traffic in itself, and on its own is not easy SEO.

Good SEO is incremental and there's no easy way to ranking highly for competitive keywords or 1 single SEO hack that is going to propel you up the SERPS (other than improving content significantly or suddenly acquiring loads of high value backlinks), it's about lots of little things on-page and off-page and it's a cumulative effect....and of course, how authoritative are the competition?

What are you getting for £420 a year? If it's just to make the odd tweak you ask for and hosting then they are taking the mickey. If they are actively promoting your site and gaining good back links and your site is climbing in google then OK. 

If you search google with something like ' window cleaner in XXX area' and XXX is the area you cover does your site come up on page 1? If not then I don't think they are very good value for money!

By all means send me a personal message if you don't want to discuss in public.
Yes you're quite right and doubt it involves much off-page SEO for that amount - not any decent SEO anyway.

But it's not unreasonable amount that includes a good quality care plan / security / firewalls / monitoring / backups etc etc.

Malware is a real issue and genuine threat to vulnerable websites without the right security measures in place. For example I believe Thrive WP Care Plans are worth every penny to keep your site protected.

But if it's just hosting and the odd tweak for £420 they're taking the p---

I've been going for about 6 months now window and gutter cleaning. Thankfully I did come from a background in SEO/IT so knew the steps required to get everything working.

First thing to know is that SEO really isn't rocket science and whatever you do never buy services off people who just call up or email - you've now real idea how good they are and to be honest if they're having to cold call then they're probably terrible at it!

Really, the first port of call is to get a Google My Business account setup, then look into building citations and getting your customers to leave good reviews after each job.

It's definitely a little bit of work and it's not something that will bring in customers overnight; however, if you just keep plodding along doing a little bit here and there you'll discover a nice flow of new custies popping through.

For the first few months I had to rely on canvassing and leaflets to keep working. Now my website ranks very highly in my home town and I haven't needed to flyer for a good month or two.

You can do it, but don't try to do everything at once - a little work a week and slowly build it up.

I've been going for about 6 months now window and gutter cleaning. Thankfully I did come from a background in SEO/IT so knew the steps required to get everything working.

First thing to know is that SEO really isn't rocket science and whatever you do never buy services off people who just call up or email - you've now real idea how good they are and to be honest if they're having to cold call then they're probably terrible at it!

Really, the first port of call is to get a Google My Business account setup, then look into building citations and getting your customers to leave good reviews after each job.

It's definitely a little bit of work and it's not something that will bring in customers overnight; however, if you just keep plodding along doing a little bit here and there you'll discover a nice flow of new custies popping through.

For the first few months I had to rely on canvassing and leaflets to keep working. Now my website ranks very highly in my home town and I haven't needed to flyer for a good month or two.

You can do it, but don't try to do everything at once - a little work a week and slowly build it up.
You're right, good SEO really isn't rocket science and the key to ranking higher in search results isn't even the SEO, it's the quality of the content. A well optimised page is all well and good and there are many aspects to SEO both on page and off page, but the single most important thing is authoritative content. A perfectly structured page in terms of SEO (i.e. title, URL, heading/sub headings etc etc) isn't much good if the main content has got nothing useful to say.

Well written, longer, more informative content optimises itself in some ways because it will naturally include the target keywords and other closely related words/ phrases / synonyms etc. Google wants to reward pages that are relevant and useful to the user and it is very often the case that better content = higher rankings.

It's not a guarantee because there are of course other important ranking factors like domain authority, backlnks, reputation, reviews etc. But Google's own Quality Rater Guidelines make it very clear that they favour pages with E - A -- T or expertise, authority , trust. They also expect pages to have some "beneficial purpose" and include relevant, informative main content. They are also focusing more on reputation of the website and/or author e.g rather than being a self-proclaimed expert do you have any evidence of expertise?

I realise most people still reading this post have long since switched off and will say it went over their heads. Fair enough but it's really very straightforward and not difficult to get your head around....

there may even be 1 or 2 readers of this who might be interested to know that Google is in the process of rolling out a new ranking algorithm that could have an important effect on where your website ranks in search results.

It's called Core Web Vitals and is basically a metric for measuring user experience on your site. I'm not going to go into it because I realise almost no one reading this cares what it is but it's aimed at improving website's loading speed, responsiveness and stuff like that. It will likely become a more and more important ranking factor and slow sites will be penalised. The drop in rankings might be significant e.g going from page 1 to page 2 or lower. Time will tell but ignore it at your peril. If interested they are introducing a new report on Search Console to access and measure the new metrics and there are various free tools available on Chrome for analysis purposes. 

I have 3 forms of advertising. Website, Checkatrade and Directories that go through 100k letterboxes. I signed up for Checkatrade directory thinking it would be a waste of money but I was proved wrong. The only thing is that I'm getting too much work.

I get all of my work from Google Ads and Google My Business Page. The Google My Business page is probably the best thing any of us could have, it's totally free. 

Back