Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to get commercial work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mark Hands

Hi all, thanks for replies to previous questions.

Was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on how to get in the door or reach the decision maker when it comes to commercial work.

Is it worth emailing around or do you just come across as desperate?

Also know some work comes up for tender but unsure how the process works if anyone can help?

I would try a face to face meeting as emails will more than likely just be deleted , from my experience you just need a lucky break , once you get your foot in the door and are seen to do a good job the work will come to you . Try management companies in your area you never know what it might lead to . If visiting a commercial premises ask for the maintenance manager , some will want some sort of health and safety training like but others won’t , but be prepared to supply details RAMS and have 5 million or maybe more public liability insurance, again some are more strict than others ,but if you don't ask you don't get , good luck let us know how it goes ?

If you know anyone who runs a property management business or a business that provides services to commercial clients such as fire suppression etc then ask them for contact details of local firms or even better ask for an introduction
I’ve done that recently with a mate of mine and got a 3k+ job from it that I’m currently doing this week
Cleaning communal areas on some blocks of flats in west London
Just need to think outside the box a bit

Hi all, thanks for replies to previous questions.

Was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on how to get in the door or reach the decision maker when it comes to commercial work.

Is it worth emailing around or do you just come across as desperate?

Also know some work comes up for tender but unsure how the process works if anyone can help?
Email. I gained two decent contracts that way.
Site and SEO aimed at commercial interests.
Browser for tender portals
Literally walk in to businesses like small retail.

Be bold. Nothing to lose except pride, and everything to gain.

I would try a face to face meeting as emails will more than likely just be deleted , from my experience you just need a lucky break , once you get your foot in the door and are seen to do a good job the work will come to you . Try management companies in your area you never know what it might lead to . If visiting a commercial premises ask for the maintenance manager , some will want some sort of health and safety training like but others won’t , but be prepared to supply details RAMS and have 5 million or maybe more public liability insurance, again some are more strict than others ,but if you don't ask you don't get , good luck let us know how it goes ?
@Pjj - Thats some good sound advice there bud!. Ive found pretty much the same, once ive been approached via experience.
The only issue being, when commercial outfit feel like it, they can drop you. That tends to become a cat and mouse game. As then not a regular client, a one off cleaning charge applies OR client wants a regular at a cheaper price, Really wanting a one off?..
Through Q & A scenario, client can be sounded out. If not right, just walk away. Something Good comes of something Bad?.

@Pjj - Thats some good sound advice there bud!. Ive found pretty much the same, once ive been approached via experience.
The only issue being, when commercial outfit feel like it, they can drop you. That tends to become a cat and mouse game. As then not a regular client, a one off cleaning charge applies OR client wants a regular at a cheaper price, Really wanting a one off?..
Through Q & A scenario, client can be sounded out. If not right, just walk away. Something Good comes of something Bad?.
Maybe I have been lucky but all our commercial work is very good , never had any issues with being messed about payment is pretty good , and most of it we have been doing for many years some over 20 years , did have some stop cleaning during Covid but all are now back with us at the original frequency plus a price increase so very happy .

I have a massive commercial building to quote for a local council warehouse. This is a gutter cleaning contract though. Not to sure i want to quote for it because its all health and safety related documents and climbing on a roof and cherry picker etc.

I think most of these commercial works go via a tender and you have to be or look like to be a big company. Because they will ask what happens if you fall ill who is going to do the work.

I was actually just contacted via my website for the job above. And i do get quite a bit of commercial work like this via my site.

Back