Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How windy is too windy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The wind blew my ladder over yesterday.

A gust caught it when i left it unattended while i cleaned the ground floor windows.

Second time it has happened to me in 30 years.

Luckily the rest of that mornings work was bungalow's and dormers cleaned with extension poles.

I have had a Wfp system for 15 years i started with a Peter Fogwill trolley and have had a van mounted system for the last 13 years or so.

It has it's place but if i was to give up on trad and go Wfp completely i would be out of business.

Why?

Most of my work is domestic and is inside and out.

I like to walk away from a job and know the customer is going to be happy with the results.

With Wfp i walk away hoping they are going to be happy.

On awkward time consuming jobs,astragals,high windows,commercial it is a time saver but on day to day window cleaning it is too much hassle for me.
I went wfp over 2 years ago after 26 years on ladders and a worn out knee and I think its brilliant, it knocks 2 hours a day off my work, so I only graft 4 days a week it's safer and apart from losing a handful of customers who just wouldn't buy into it ,they have taken to it like a duck to water. I don't offer traditional as an option and have taken the ladders off the van.

When trade  I still remember leaving the odd soapy run like we all do. 

I concede that you don't get as close and personal on the top windows  and probably do miss the odd bit of spider poo, but I get no more complaints than when I was tradding. 

If I had to go back to tradding, I would seriously be looking at a career change.

But each to his own, we all  have different views and that's what makes this forum engaging. 

I'm putting my prices up after all the carry on with my new wfp. They all wanted me to go back to trad so i am happy to go back at a higher price. Don't think i will lose a single customer because i told an old woman (new customer) that its a fiver but £6 next year and she wasn't bothered, i think she was glad she now had a window cleaner.

I'm putting my prices up after all the carry on with my new wfp. They all wanted me to go back to trad so i am happy to go back at a higher price. Don't think i will lose a single customer because i told an old woman (new customer) that its a fiver but £6 next year and she wasn't bothered, i think she was glad she now had a window cleaner.
£5? What do you clean just her front door ?

get a wfp system as soon as you can afford one........
It's not about when I can afford a wfp system - it's from choice. I've looked into changing over to wfp and I've also used the system and still prefer to trad when possible. I have a few reasons why I've made this choice and like many others that still trad I'm sure that they will have similar views. We all have a choice as to the type of technique we wish to use. I am going to be using a backpack set up for the few awkward jobs and inaccessible windows. We all give a first class service to our customers to keep their windows and frames etc looking clean, and I really don't think it matters how we do it as long as we do it well. We should all work together to promote the window cleaning industry .... wfp or trad ???

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are selling a 5 star service to clients and charging accordingly then a trad pole is going to leave an inferior finish, I was trad for over 8 years and worked in all weathers and looking back took some stupid risks to get work done and get my bills paid, but never in my days would have I have used an 18ft trad pole I have watched lads leave suds and take an age to clean upper windows and in high/gusty winds suds are going to be going every where. 

Even if you start off wfping tops with a backpack set up, it's not ideal but it will prevent/reduce the risk of you having a fall, now some will jump in and say go all out van mount and I would be one of those, but I believe my fellow Junglist @Dave B has two vans on the road with backpack set ups and works full-time 
1 is backpack filled from tank with bilge pump

Other is the same but with pressure washer mounted permanently on board with a buffer tank also.. that one mostly does pressure washing but can do windows when needed

It's not about when I can afford a wfp system - it's from choice. I've looked into changing over to wfp and I've also used the system and still prefer to trad when possible. I have a few reasons why I've made this choice and like many others that still trad I'm sure that they will have similar views. We all have a choice as to the type of technique we wish to use. I am going to be using a backpack set up for the few awkward jobs and inaccessible windows. We all give a first class service to our customers to keep their windows and frames etc looking clean, and I really don't think it matters how we do it as long as we do it well. We should all work together to promote the window cleaning industry .... wfp or trad ???
Agree...I use backpack and trolley for upstairs (for safer working practice) and so now only occasionally do I need my ladders, otherwise Trad.

Most windies I see about,and so too customers are wfp jockies, and they see how "quickly" they do a residence. So for me, its my USP (unique selling point) to sell Trad!.

Of course wfp guys will say their way is best, Trad guys will say their way.

I certainly not saying skill is not involved, it is for both methods (I use both) so know. A good wfp guy will do a good job, a bad a bad, same with Trad. Its about preference of the individual.

In fact will say a day just using wfp is harder on the body.

Back