Hse Information Sheet Misc613 Safety In Window Cleaning Using Portable Ladders .

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by All Round Cleaning, Oct 9, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

Hopefully this will help us trad guys to understand a bit better .

Advertisement
  2. Posh

Posh Hero

Says on there class 3 ladders not reccomended. That means its our choice. Diddnt know that but know I'm under 15 stone lol. Interesting reading that Gav. Not as strict as I thought.

3. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

Looks like everything I have said about hse has rubbed off on some of you! Lol

4. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

To be honest mate I have always been health and safety orientated in every job I have done .
    When I started work my first qualification was nvq lvl2 health and safety in the work place so it's always been part of me always
    Been drummed into me .

5. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

Yer know the feeling, just shows you what you have to do these days!

6. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Thanks for this Gav!

Have taken the time to read this, very important information!

7. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

iv got to be honest rc, that document disagrees with alot of stuff you have said in the past,lol but still, good information to have at hand

8. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

Like?

9. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

like it says about working on flat roofs without a fall arrest harness or actual barriers, it simply states a marked off area or sufficient space from the edge is enough of a safeguard,

'Roofs should only be used for access when there is no other reasonably practicable way of safely reaching and cleaning the windows above the roof.'

'For domestic work above flat roofs
    Before stepping onto the roof:

Make sure that the ladder is secure and cannot slide sideways (some ladder-top stability devices are an effective means of doing this). Extend the ladder at least 1 m above the stepping-off point.

Check the roof is wide enough to do your work safely without going too near the edge (making sure there is a width of 2 m is a useful rule of thumb which provides a margin of safety in the event of a slip or trip).

Make sure you know where the edge of the roof is.

Don’t step back to view your work.'

and regarding commercial work

'Safety is often simply achieved on the flat roof area of non-domestic buildings by the use of clearly barriered or marked safe areas or physical distance from the edge of the roof to the window.'

'If installed, any safety wire system or other suitable means of fall arrest must be used'

for example,lol

10. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

That's correct, but as soon as you step within that 2m from the edge ts where that rule will be broken, it's ok if you can get access from a door or other access point with in the 2m from edge.

Here is another document regarding working on roofs.

Working on roofs - INDG284 (Revision 1) - HSE

Advertisement