Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HSE - Working at height - the ladder law

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Totally get what you are saying buddy.

Luckily 90% of my income is from commercial jobs and after a tot up only do 15 residential properties.

Don't go looking for residential but only if asked.

Next time I am asked then maybe I will give them a choice of just cleaning glass and ledges for say £20 or £40 with the frames.I reckon 9 out of 10 will go with the cheaper option. Be very interesting to see how this pans out when I quote in future.
The beauty of wfp is you just clean the lot in one go doesn’t take any longer with the pole , so the customer gets  everything cleaned and you are doing the job far quicker so it’s a win win for both parties and no need to charge more for cleaning the frames . The initial clean does  take longer but we charge double for that then from then on maintaining that finish is easy .

Do you rinse just below frame after cleaning it and run down glass? Or scrub frame until no more runs? Asking for a friend......me ?
Scrub and rinse the frame top then do the glass then just rinse the glass job done 

The beauty of wfp is you just clean the lot in one go doesn’t take any longer with the pole , so the customer gets  everything cleaned and you are doing the job far quicker so it’s a win win for both parties and no need to charge more for cleaning the frames . The initial clean does  take longer but we charge double for that then from then on maintaining that finish is easy .

Scrub and rinse the frame top then do the glass then just rinse the glass job done 
Yes see what you say about water fed pole but I am set in my ways having been trad since 1984 and now 52.

Really don't think I can be arsed to buy a van and a system and learn how to do it and give customers newbie like results.

Things are ok trad for me and even picked up more work strangely enough in last 4 weeks than I have in previous year and thats with being asked and not looking for it.

But I will be investing in a new ladder and treat myself to a ladder mate after next grant payment.

I would feel very anxious, employing guys and sending them up and down ladders all day, every day. Even with training and recorded equipment checks. Asking for trouble.

My mate has his own window cleaning company and employees a handful of staff. One guy fell off his ladder and broke his leg, luckily it was his mate. The guys wife told him we have 3 years to make a claim against you because my husband shouldn't be working from a ladder. My mate had to keep him sweet for three years or he might not have a business once lawyers get involved.

My mate has his own window cleaning company and employees a handful of staff. One guy fell off his ladder and broke his leg, luckily it was his mate. The guys wife told him we have 3 years to make a claim against you because my husband shouldn't be working from a ladder. My mate had to keep him sweet for three years or he might not have a business once lawyers get involved.
Nobody forced him up that ladder?

is this another one of your good stories ?

I do traditional and wfp and quite enjoy both. Low level stuff I’m happy to use a squeegee and I have a few very small retirement bungalows I clean which are through a little sort of grass courtyard where wfp would be complete overkill (not to mention dragging hose and/or backpack all over the place). But most stuff I try to take on would be wfp now for two reasons. One is Wfp gets the frames and sills far cleaner than any traditional tools I have ever used, and two I was up a very small ladder I use sometimes  (only about 3 steps up) and a bit of ground must have been a bit loose and moved underneath me (it had previously been fine on every clean before) and the ladder started to go over. I steadied myself and landed on my feet, but the ladder put a horrible gash in skin on my leg which took ages to heal. It could have been a lot worse. I think I read (I may have this wrong) that for insurance reasons, if you choose to go up a ladder and have an accident, but you have access to wfp they will say you should have used the safest method - wfp. I don’t have a full round yet but have turned down the odd job or two where the house owner won’t accept wfp and say they’ll only let you clean if you do them off a ladder. To be honest I don’t get it. If I offered to paint your living room for £50 as i use roller, or for £100 using a paintbrush because it will take twice as long, which will they choose? 

When I changed over to WFP had one customer refuse me to do it that way as he said " It will make my walls wet " nearly said what happens when it rains but just walked away from job . 

As for frames always give them a  wash or wipe over as far as I am concerned the frame is part of window .

Hi, 

I am a rope access window cleaner but I'm starting up my own round, i just wandered if anyone could reccomend the best ladder to purchase? 

Thank you.

I was watching an episode of A&E where an old guy decide to clean upstairs windows. He hadn't even begun cleaning when he fell off the ladder at twenty feet. He was in a hell of a state and lucky to be alive. Not worth it when wfp is available. Wfp seems to be the new normal now and accepted as the way to clean windows. If anyone gives you a hard time then just walk away. ?

ok. I was under the impression some clients prefer traditional so was going to offer both. 
Read more especially on here. Most stay away/moved away from trad as it's just not worth risking your life on a ladder when wfp is available. You are right that some prefer trad but for the odd customer it's not worth buying a ladder and a roof rack, think if you only have 5% of customers on trad how long does it take to pay for the ladder and roof rack, not to mention extra time to get ladders on and off van for an odd customer! With wfp you use same equipment for 100% of your work!!!  

Had a few people ask me about using Trad method, I explain that they get the 100% guarantee or their money back and now they are more than happy with our services? Have come across a few splash and dash wfpolers but just  as many if not more really bad trad cleaners. 

Why build a round on trad in this day and age, when 98% clients just want clean windows and are more than happy with WFP.

Why risking life and limb unnecessary for less money?

For every every client that wants trad only there will be 98 others willing to have WFP you will building a round quicker if you offer WFP over just trad or offer both even though you won’t earn as much quicker if offering both. 

I don’t offer trad anymore in my case it would mean my business going backwards and earning less money I might not be the brightest person but ladders Trad = potential danger and less money a no brainier to me.

and yes I can trad using pole I have the moerman excelater and used them indoors, but since corona virus I have gave up all inside work and won’t be taking anymore back on as can earn lots more without the wfp outside only, have plenty of work to worry about without using trad. 

Fair play to people that want to be Trad that’s your choice and not my decision ?but what I have typed above is how I run my business and my choice just putting it out their for newbies to see and make their own mind up.

working years on the Oil rigs walking up and down open gratings knackered my knees couldn’t imagine what ladders would have done to them also.

I was cleaning care home windows today and they are made of wood and rotting. I just clean the glass or I drag all the flaky paint all over the glass. That got me thinking the reason why old windy cleaners only cleaned the glass. The frames were made of wood or the old metal crittle ones so it made sense to only clean the glass. With most windows made of pvc then it makes sense to move over to wfp.

I think was looking at traditional method as I'm experienced and have done it for years from the ropes, a case of sticking to what you know. I will look in to wfp its no brainer the best option. I will research what system will best suit my little van.

ok. I was under the impression some clients prefer traditional so was going to offer both. 
Surprisingly in the last month I’ve had no less than 7 Enquiries asking me to do wfp as they don’t want ladders leaning against their buildings, damaging things or the risk etc. It seems the tides may be changing when it comes to the old views on trad. Granted there’ll still be one or two older folk that think it’s better But once You educate them and they give it a chance they don’t look back. I have quite a few customers that were adamant that they only wanted trad and are now all wfp with no issues.

Surprisingly in the last month I’ve had no less than 7 Enquiries asking me to do wfp as they don’t want ladders leaning against their buildings, damaging things or the risk etc. It seems the tides may be changing when it comes to the old views on trad. Granted there’ll still be one or two older folk that think it’s better But once You educate them and they give it a chance they don’t look back. I have quite a few customers that were adamant that they only wanted trad and are now all wfp with no issues.
I'm the same but still have two customers who demand I Trad them but I wfp the one in between them. I think they will slowly come round to wfp in the future.

Back