Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HSE - Working at height - the ladder law

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm the same but still have two customers who demand I Trad them but I wfp the one in between them. I think they will slowly come round to wfp in the future.
The more old school customers love the old service sector and I think partly it's just physically seeing someone that cuts it with them. 

I took on a customer who had 40 years of traditional cleans. They unfortunately passed away and the new home owners kept me on. Switched to wfp. Oh boy the clean took 4 solid days of removal soap residue from the panes. The seals bled like mad 

Last edited by a moderator:
The more old school customers love the old service sector and I think partly it's just physically seeing someone that cuts it with them. 

I took on a customer who had 40 years of traditional cleans. They unfortunately passed away and the new home owners kept me on. Switched to wfp. Oh boy the clean two 4 solid days of removal soap residue from the panes. The seals bled like mad 
I recently got a new elderly customer and she was against the wfp. I persuaded her to just see how it worked, and she was so pleased. She said the pvc had never been so clean.  Would've taken an age to get the same result trad.

I watched a bloke doing it a few years ago and he even said it was mad but if a boss came out to look at the job and there was no hole drilled he would be sacked straight away.  
Makes sense, Sky is a big company with a lot of people going up and down ladders all day. They have to try and mitigate any problems to avoid loopholes where there employees can sue 

Why, if you're going to get up there you might as well trad them.
Sometimes you need to use multiple methods to get the best results. It’s a bit like cleaning flags. Sometimes just a jet wash will do and sometimes you can just use hypo and then sometimes you may need to use both. Wfp’s not that good for certain stains. I sometimes go over trad on first cleans after a pass with the pole depending on how bad they are and what sort of build up is on them. Just the other day I must have spent a good couple of minutes trying to scrub a stain off a second floor frame. It just wouldn’t budge even with some razrwash. Ladder off quick wipe with a damp microfibre and it was gone. It’s the same with the moss and bits of dirt that grows inbetween the frame and sill. You can either spend alot of time, energy and water trying to flush it out or just grab the ladder and the muck off tool, give it one quick swipe and it’s gone. Obviously if you dont either feel safe or physically can’t or don’t want to use ladders then your stuck grinding it out with the first option. I’d hate to only ever have to rely on just wfp for cleaning  although I do use it a lot. In fact I can’t think of any tradesman that just rely on one tool. Don’t get me wrong once the unit is sterile it’s just knocking the dust off on maintenence cleans and as long as youv e done your first clean correctly wfp is second to none. 

I recently got a new elderly customer and she was against the wfp. I persuaded her to just see how it worked, and she was so pleased. She said the pvc had never been so clean.  Would've taken an age to get the same result trad.
I must admit. I`m a bit of a convert. I was tradding for years and years before switching to pole. I thought  tradding was always the superior clean. Oh how wrong I was. It was a real eye opener. Just seeing the **** run of those window frames was unbelievable. I look at those frames now and they are gleaming compared with how they used to look.

So glad I switched. Was just worried about losing my custys. I lost some but only a few. I have so much more time to myself now. Plus I`m making more money. I thought the fuel consumption was going to be so much higher but theres hardly any difference. Well worth the switch!

I was the same with my customers and even gave them a free clean. I try not to laugh when I see Traders now. If you don't move with the times then You get left behind. I'm still getting powerwash jobs coming in and can't even put them off till next year. I have a great week this week by just catching up and clearing gutters now. ?

Back