Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Idiot admission time.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

Went to the first job of the season today. A repeat client from last year.

All set up. Took about an hour as I’d agreed to move all the pots of dead plants, benches, kids toys etc. Set my machine up. Hoses out. Lance all connected ready to cut in.

Pressure washer ran for 20 seconds and then died. Would restart for a few seconds occasionally and then die again. Had run fine a couple of days back when I checked it all over. ?

Remembered that they have a sensor to prevent you starting with low oil, and I hadn’t checked the oil other than visually through the little glass windows on the pump. Teeny tiny bit low. Checked the dipstick. Same.

Couldn’t believe I hadn’t checked it or that it made enough difference to not allow it to start.

The one thing I didn’t put on the van was oil!!

Checked my nearest screwfix. No pressure washer oil but 4 stroke oil. Near enough for a top-up. Ordered, paid, drove to collect.

Got back. Topped up maybe a few thimble fulls at best. Couldn’t believe it made enough difference, but couldn’t really be anything else

……and then I realised I had the fuel switched to off as I’d moved it toward the pump symbol rather than the arrow direction.

Moved it across…..started first time. ?‍♂️

And we’ll ignore the fact that the sensor is clearly on the engine oil and not the pump which is what I was checking and topping up in my panic. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Tell me how!
The red on off switch/**** has a wire that is usually yellow which comes from the engine which you don’t touch
The other 2 wires from the switch are crimped into 1 connector which is then connected to wires which come from a small square box and a small sensor
Disconnect them from the ones from the switch and the oil level sensor is now disconnected
Handy when using on uneven ground which is why I don’t use one I check the dipstick regularly
The actual sensor is the bit that looks like a nut with a wire going into it
That and the silver box are unnecessary
I cut the wire off the sensor as you can’t remove the sensor without needing to blank the hole that is left
The silver square thing can be unbolted and chucked

The red on off switch/**** has a wire that is usually yellow which comes from the engine which you don’t touch
The other 2 wires from the switch are crimped into 1 connector which is then connected to wires which come from a small square box and a small sensor
Disconnect them from the ones from the switch and the oil level sensor is now disconnected
Handy when using on uneven ground which is why I don’t use one I check the dipstick regularly
The actual sensor is the bit that looks like a nut with a wire going into it
That and the silver box are unnecessary
I cut the wire off the sensor as you can’t remove the sensor without needing to blank the hole that is left
The silver square thing can be unbolted and chucked
Cheers. Good to know.

Many thanks

Back