Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Impact of Watertanks on Van Suspension & Longevity

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They said they will only stop selling diesel vehicles from 2030 so in theory you could get a new one in 2029 and run in for another 10-15 years taking you up to 2039-2044....
If they add per mile pricing to all non hgv vehicles (elec and non electric) and add more to fuel duty, increase road tax then diesel vans can be quickly out priced and taken off the road!!!

I regard this situation as dynamic, what they say now and what they say and do in two or three years may be different, the pressure is growing by the day.
They are already saying that road tax will be increasing dramatically for diesel and petrol motors from now and some city’s are going to be all but banning theses vehicles within a few years so I think ones will be priced off the road , I was looking at getting a camper van but this is worrying me a bit as I can see diesel being £10 a gallon and road tax being thousands of pounds per year and restrictions will be in place as to ware you will be allowed to drive it , it’s all very uncertain.

They are already saying that road tax will be increasing dramatically for diesel and petrol motors from now and some city’s are going to be all but banning theses vehicles within a few years so I think ones will be priced off the road , I was looking at getting a camper van but this is worrying me a bit as I can see diesel being £10 a gallon and road tax being thousands of pounds per year and restrictions will be in place as to ware you will be allowed to drive it , it’s all very uncertain.
The dealers are already saying that the bottom has fallen/ is falling out of the motor home market because of the EV saga. The same thing with caravan sales. We all know the leisure industry goes quiet over winter and picks up in spring, but they are saying that this drop off is different.

The dealers are already saying that the bottom has fallen/ is falling out of the motor home market because of the EV saga. The same thing with caravan sales. We all know the leisure industry goes quiet over winter and picks up in spring, but they are saying that this drop off is different.
I have been quite shocked how many are spending 60-120 k on this type of vehicle that could basically be priced off the road in 8 years and be worth scrap value only , I certainly couldn’t afford to loose that kind of money 

I have been quite shocked how many are spending 60-120 k on this type of vehicle that could basically be priced off the road in 8 years and be worth scrap value only , I certainly couldn’t afford to loose that kind of money 
Brother-in-law brought a brand Fiat based motor-home 2 years ago. He paid nearly £55,000. Back then I queried his logic. He already had a nice caravan but no tow car as his Jeep failed MOT. He assured me the value of that MH would increase over the next few years and be worth more than he paid for it. I disagreed with him. The only thing that appreciates in value is property, and that can very much depend on location. Even his sister (my wife) told him that.

I'm the same. I'm not great in the mornings. It takes two cups of tea, a bowl of porridge and a shovel of coal to get me moving?. I prefer to fill the tank after work so when I'm ready in the morning I can just get in the van and go.

We have so many different ways of doing things between us all. ?
A shovel of coal ?, if I had a shovel of coal and coke plus a firecracker up my ass I still couldn't get out of door before 8.30am 

I'm up at 6.15am dogs out before 7am for a good walk then by the time that's done plus breakfast and a bit of housework etc it will be 8.30-40 before I set off for work

A shovel of coal ?, if I had a shovel of coal and coke plus a firecracker up my ass I still couldn't get out of door before 8.30am 

I'm up at 6.15am dogs out before 7am for a good walk then by the time that's done plus breakfast and a bit of housework etc it will be 8.30-40 before I set off for work
Haha! Very little chance of me getting up for 6:15.?

Yep. Played that game when I was lorry driving. Up at 5:15 or so. In the lorry for 5:45. Pulling out of the yard by 6am. Lucky to be home much before 7pm. Paid a pittance for the privilege.
I quite agree now they cannot get drivers for love nor money , got offered a job driving petrol tankers at well over 50 k a year a couple of weeks ago , how times have changed . 

About time lorry drivers got respected and paid a decent wage for the hours and responsibilities involved.
Watched a video from a couple of weeks ago, comparing driving in Britain with Europe for lorry drivers. What a difference! The rest stops actually looked like places you would go to by choice ?

(I get not everywhere will be the same, but seems to be a common theme) 

I think this whole EV craze is a fad. Banning diesel and petrol vans but shipping and other heavy industries won't run on batteries

I try and be economical and do what I can but America China India need to sort their dirty emissions out as we are paying the price 

I never understand people buying motor homes...most of the time there sat on their driveway going nowhere for months on end....
Totally agree. Rather than holiday somewhere luxurious, people would rather sleep/eat etc in a mobile biscuit tin.

They use the phrase ‘ah but it’s the freedom of the road’. which is nonsense as you usually have to book a parking spot months in advance.

King size bed and chefs cooking for us is what I call a holiday. Each to their own etc ???‍?

We had a motorhome for a couple of years. It was great fun, we toured Scotland no pre booked sites just found one near where we were each evening, even just some out of the way parking layby as we had everything onboard. Some we stayed a few days at other just single night. We also toured Devon and Cornwall but had a tow car this time so stayed a few nights in each place, went out for meals most evenings. It was nice to be able to not have a set timetable. We do have a dog and wouldn't want her to go in kennels as she is very much a lap dog (Maltese 5.5lb in weight about 12" high). We mainly used ours as a base to stay in each night. Our van had a king size double and usually we stayed within walking distance to pub for food etc. We always went during school term as it was much quieter plus we ran holiday apartments so school holidays were very busy. We used to go away lots during the week as during Sept and Oct we were only busy at weekends, so we would have 3 or 4 days away if forecast was OK.

It all really depends on how you use a motorhome, I do see many peoples stuck on the drive looking like they haven't moved in months - same with caravans. They are expensive depreciating assets that need to be used a lot to become worth while. If you don't have lots of free time it's not really worth it - imho.

We had a motorhome for a couple of years. It was great fun, we toured Scotland no pre booked sites just found one near where we were each evening, even just some out of the way parking layby as we had everything onboard. Some we stayed a few days at other just single night. We also toured Devon and Cornwall but had a tow car this time so stayed a few nights in each place, went out for meals most evenings. It was nice to be able to not have a set timetable. We do have a dog and wouldn't want her to go in kennels as she is very much a lap dog (Maltese 5.5lb in weight about 12" high). We mainly used ours as a base to stay in each night. Our van had a king size double and usually we stayed within walking distance to pub for food etc. We always went during school term as it was much quieter plus we ran holiday apartments so school holidays were very busy. We used to go away lots during the week as during Sept and Oct we were only busy at weekends, so we would have 3 or 4 days away if forecast was OK.

It all really depends on how you use a motorhome, I do see many peoples stuck on the drive looking like they haven't moved in months - same with caravans. They are expensive depreciating assets that need to be used a lot to become worth while. If you don't have lots of free time it's not really worth it - imho.
I’m regularly backwards and forwards to Cornwall as I’ve family down there.

The bloody caravans are an absolute pain on the roads. Can’t see why they can’t travel at night.

Should build cars with James Bond style front guns in the headlights and make it legal to blow the poxy things out the way if spotted in daylight hours ?

Back