Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Imprinted Concrete - first one - tips?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

I bought a little budget pressure washer, 11 litres per min, 200 bar and have practiced on as many surfaces as I can find but first customer who asked for a quote has black imprinted concrete! It's just the paths round the house so no driveway but it looks like maybe the sealer was put on when it was a bit damp, see image.

Anyway it's not too bad, a bit green in places but should I just pressure wash with a wide fan jet (40 degree or 25 degree?) then with a weak hypo (1:4), dwell then rinse?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ImprintedConcrete.jpg
    ImprintedConcrete.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 0
Concrete at the back needs pressure washing.
I did ask about that bit and custy said he didn't want that doing! The concrete leads to his driveway. If it turns out quicker or easier than I expected I might offer to just do that bit as it would look a better job especially to neighbours!

I bought a little budget pressure washer, 11 litres per min, 200 bar and have practiced on as many surfaces as I can find but first customer who asked for a quote has black imprinted concrete! It's just the paths round the house so no driveway but it looks like maybe the sealer was put on when it was a bit damp, see image.

Anyway it's not too bad, a bit green in places but should I just pressure wash with a wide fan jet (40 degree or 25 degree?) then with a weak hypo (1:4), dwell then rinse?

Thanks.
Low pressure obviously as its most likely colourised with magic sprinkles and you could strip the top layer of colour or sealer

Low pressure obviously as its most likely colourised with magic sprinkles and you could strip the top layer of colour or sealer
Once that top layer of sealer has gone which looking at the photo it has started to, the only option long-term is to seal it again, a few years ago a customer of mine resealed his own with a coloured sealer something like this https://elitecrete.co.uk/product/tinted-imprinted-concrete-sealer/ but they had to go a darker colour as their's had started to discolour and or fade

It came up very well. The bits that look like the sealer had started to lift where actually lichen, well I think they where as they came off after hypo then turbo.
I started with low pressure, then tested a small hidden area with turbo and it was fine, also tested area with hypo and all good.
It looked like new after the clean, customer was happy and the bits that they thought had worn through where not, they where just 'dirty'.
He did go on to say he was going to reseal it now it's clean and that he had done that before about 4 years ago. I did mention making 100% sure it's dry to ensure all moisture has gone from the concrete before he reseals.

Thanks for everyone's input, all very helpful.

The reason it looks like that is n unlikely to be because it was sealed while still damp - it's more like the old stuff peeling anf it needs sealing again.
Re-sealing is an ongoing requirement of PIC and generally need doing every few years (probably approx 3-5yr). That's what's needed to improve the appearance and a low pressure soapy wash is often all that's needed.. But obviously varies from job to job. Pressure wash carefully.,
Personally I think PIC jobs are more trouble than they're worth. There are no guarantee about how it's going to turn out and my view is it is a service that needs to be thoroughly researched and understood before attempting.
There are multiple sealants on the market vlaoming to be suitable for PIC that is something else that needs to be properly lookrf into brfotr deciding what to use / recommedn to the customer and costs involved. Imprinted concrete jobs make decking renovation look like a walk in the park.
They don't pay enough to be worth the bother.

Back