Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Inflation rocketing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

Just a heads up, those looking to increase prices and pricing in general.  Just said on the news that because of what's going on oil prices are rocketing, gas prices have shot up 28 percent, that's on top of what was already ridiculously high.  An analyst was saying the 7 percent inflation is going to be a lot higher.

I don't know what this means for window cleaning, but 1 or 2 pound rises every 2 years isn't going to cut it.  We might be entering a phase where nothing will be enough, it might mean flexible pricing based on the cost of goods.  

Doesn't look good at all, from a business perspective inflation rocketing I don't know how it's possible to price regular services.  Can't see a monthly increase working.

Just a heads up, those looking to increase prices and pricing in general.  Just said on the news that because of what's going on oil prices are rocketing, gas prices have shot up 28 percent, that's on top of what was already ridiculously high.  An analyst was saying the 7 percent inflation is going to be a lot higher.

I don't know what this means for window cleaning, but 1 or 2 pound rises every 2 years isn't going to cut it.  We might be entering a phase where nothing will be enough, it might mean flexible pricing based on the cost of goods.  

Doesn't look good at all, from a business perspective inflation rocketing I don't know how it's possible to price regular services.  Can't see a monthly increase working.
There is no simple answer we are in the process of putting up some domestic that’s due a rise tend to do this every couple of years , surprisingly a few customers have asked about price rises and said everything else is going up and they expected a rise we usually start in March April doing this but have been testing the water since January and so far all have been fine with it . 

There is no simple answer we are in the process of putting up some domestic that’s due a rise tend to do this every couple of years , surprisingly a few customers have asked about price rises and said everything else is going up and they expected a rise we usually start in March April doing this but have been testing the water since January and so far all have been fine with it . 
Yeah, it's impossible to know what to do.  When I get in later I'm going to study the recent history of Argentina to try and get a grasp of what to expect.  I've been meaning to do that for years just out of general interest, wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

I might start to look into solar power and train ready for any problems, it seems a field that will boom if gas and oil are going to forever go up, if we end up in a world war then solar power might be the only feasible way to get power with all major power stations a target for missiles.  Solar power would be one of the industries that would have anything of value to what people need.

Impossible to say what will happen, but there’s a lot more to inflation than just energy prices. 
 A lot of inflation was caused by supply bottlenecks because of covid. 
 Many are starting to ease. Timber prices went through the roof, but supplies are starting to normalise and prices are starting to creep down. 
 I clean two car dealerships, both have  plenty of new cars again. There is a backlog that will take time to clear , but things are starting to get better. 

As for Argentina and hyper inflation etc ? I think you getting ahead of yourself.  

Work hard all week. Enjoy time with your friends and family at the weekends and don’t worry about things you can’t control.  ????

Oh and Russia are still pumping out plenty of Gas at the moment , same as usual. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't tell everything is rising because poundland sell £1.25 items now

I don't watch any news. Its all negative to much BS and no clarity 
I'm the same, I don't watch the news because it's all negative and more often than not a load of fuss about nothing.  This is different though. 

Put it this way, I wasn't concerned about covid19 when many were panicking thinking the world was over, I knew it wouldn't be all that bad, I was surprised at how resilient the economy was though. 

This what's happening now though I am concerned about, we're talking about a leader who is doing whatever he wants, he's got access to god knows how many deadly poisons, he's got nuclear weapons and he controls the gas supply into Europe.  To say I'm concerned about it and the affects on our economy is an understatement. 

The poisons and the nuclear are the most concerning.  I wouldn't be surprised if Russia was behind the lab leak covid19.

Ill just crack on as normal....put up your prices if you want...personally I'm not putting any prices up this year...I'll take the hit....

I can easily afford a bit extra on my bills without worrying or becoming hysterical 

Just drove past my local petrol station . First time I’ve seen a queue at this time in the morning. Well since the shortage last year . Bbc news have told people not to panic buy . ?

Just drove past my local petrol station . First time I’ve seen a queue at this time in the morning. Well since the shortage last year . Bbc news have told people not to panic buy . ?
I actively looked at all the garages I passed on the way home. No bigger queues than usual (Bromley).

Must be northerners panicking as usual ??

I think the hard times are yet to start....late this year is when things will get tougher...

I posted the following in October last year....

Posted October 7, 2021

I have no political persuasion to Labour or the Tories, in fact I have only ever voted once in my life and that was leave in the Referendum 5 years ago. My dad being a typical paddy and working class only gave me advice once in his life and that is " who ever is in power you will still have to get up to work".

Now, I am lucky to be financially comfortable without an mortgage and kids flown the nest but all the recent news of rising inflation ( peak some way off yet), fuel and food shortage, gas going through the roof and staff shortages are setting up the perfect storm for a difficult 2-3 years ahead. Interest rates will rise making mortgages more expensive after being historically so low for years leading to repossessions and business failures and I am waiting for a stock market crash in the USA to create bargains in our own stock market, only a matter of time as the Dow Jones is well over valued.

I think the Tories plan for the economy is wrong as it will create a recession....higher inflation and higher taxes = less spending in the economy. However, I think Labour have no policies either and BOTH parties full of half wits and self centered assholes....

My worry is of the real prospect of civil unrest, possibly next spring/summer during lighter evenings and warmer times and when some of the above start to really hit hard ...

I hope I am wrong but what do you all think ???? Bit doomsday instead of brushes and poles talk I know. 

I think the hard times are yet to start....late this year is when things will get tougher...

Posted October 7, 2021

I have no political persuasion to Labour or the Tories, in fact I have only ever voted once in my life and that was leave in the Referendum 5 years ago. My dad being a typical paddy and working class only gave me advice once in his life and that is " who ever is in power you will still have to get up to work".

Now, I am lucky to be financially comfortable without an mortgage and kids flown the nest but all the recent news of rising inflation ( peak some way off yet), fuel and food shortage, gas going through the roof and staff shortages are setting up the perfect storm for a difficult 2-3 years ahead. Interest rates will rise making mortgages more expensive after being historically so low for years leading to repossessions and business failures and I am waiting for a stock market crash in the USA to create bargains in our own stock market, only a matter of time as the Dow Jones is well over valued.

I think the Tories plan for the economy is wrong as it will create a recession....higher inflation and higher taxes = less spending in the economy. However, I think Labour have no policies either and BOTH parties full of half wits and self centered assholes....

My worry is of the real prospect of civil unrest, possibly next spring/summer during lighter evenings and warmer times and when some of the above start to really hit hard ...

I hope I am wrong but what do you all think ???? Bit doomsday instead of brushes and poles talk I know. 
I think you're right about civil unrest. Theres been a lot of it in the past, and it could be worse than we've seen before. Some of the bigger cities are a tinderbox anyway, and if people cant even afford to heat or eat who knows how bad it could get. Troops on the streets in the end I predict. I think its worth stocking up on clothing/razors/ footwear etc while relatively cheap. And though we laugh at the old timers hording food, maybe worth looking at long life stuff. And polishing up on home brew skills ?

Right now, the more I think about it, the best thing to invest money in would be an electric vehicle, solar panels for your house roof and a storage battery in the house.  This would then make it possible to get free energy for your vehicle, free heating and free energy.  It would eliminate you from much of the cause of inflation [gas, electric and petrol / diesel costs], it also would provide power when much of the country could be experiencing blackouts and if the worst were to happen [a world war] and our power stations were targeted then it keeps all the lights on as you're independent of the national grid.

If I had the house and the money I'd be doing that now.

Potentially the electric vehicle could act as the battery storage, so the cost could be saved from having to get a storage battery.

It doesn't make you immune from the costs of inflation, but it does make you more self sufficient.

As it is right now, I can't get any of the above, so I'm going to look at reducing costs.  I'm getting LPG sorted for the van, so it will be less than half the price of petrol / diesel.  Regarding energy for the home, I haven't come up with a plan for that.  I'm going to start making food from scratch to save money on food.  I am tempted to start a small stock of long life food should things get really bad.

I have said that inflation was a problem at this time last year but most said that they were not increasing prices and thought the opposite to be happening.

The tough thing with inflation is that as the price goes up those that can't afford it just go without and become poorer and poorer.  However the higher price keeps the price viable to carry on going up.

Take window cleaning for instance, say you have 100 customers all on £10 each clean, so £1,000 per month.  Inflation goes up by 10% so you increase the prices by 10% you lose 5 customers as they can't afford it, so you lose £50 from them per month, but you still get £1,045 from the other customers, that money is then passed onwards at higher prices to bread, milk, cars etc and that pushes inflation higher.  So the weakest fall off the ladder and as prices creep up it starts to effect people further up the ladder but it doesn't stop the prices going up until it gets nearer to the top of the ladder.

The effect of this just creates a big gap between those with the money and those without the money.  That's why it's so crucial to try and avoid being on the last rung of the ladder, you keep the price up to combat the effects of inflation.

I live in my own world where I don’t watch the news &  everything is always alright. Always has been alright.  ?

onwards & upwards. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back