Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is this a good starter set

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ACWC

Hi guys

Been window cleaning sometime now and looking to add pressure washing services to my business.

Would anyone recommend this set as a starter kit?

Hi guys

Been window cleaning sometime now and looking to add pressure washing services to my business.

Yes …. It’s better than what I started out with.

In my very limited experience it looks a bit pricey for 15lpm. I bought a Jetmac Loncin package for a lot less than that (though it’s gone up in price since), and have since spent a bit more on additional hoses, X-Jet, buffer tank, nozzles etc. Can’t fault it. If it was a bigger part of my business I’d have gone for a 21lpm machine but the 15 does everything I need and more for now.

I’m also always wary of packages as it’s easy to get sucked into getting a bargain that includes a load of stuff you might find you don’t actually need.

I don't do PW but based on the link you posted I wouldn't buy from that type of website claiming you'll get rewards that type of site I would blank and move onto the next,

Hopefully, after the bank holiday, someone may provide a buy list of the best and basic start-up set up

I'd give Ben at Rutland's a shout, he might have something like a refurb etc. You could look on ebay or facebook people are always selling as they think this is an easy way to make a quick buck, but in reality it's bloody hard work and that's before you've even got job!

I don't do PW but based on the link you posted I wouldn't buy from that type of website claiming you'll get rewards that type of site I would blank and move onto the next,

Hopefully, after the bank holiday, someone may provide a buy list of the best and basic start-up set up

To be fair to that site I’ve bought quite a bit from them. Not sure how I came across them originally. Amazon or eBay probably. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Quick to reply, good prices and quick shipping etc. I know there’s a lot of love for Rutland on here and I’ve used them many times also, but they’re not the only supplier.

For what it’s worth my starter kit once I’d fine-tuned my needs is as follows:

Jetmac Loncin 7hp 15lpm
Lance
19” FSC
Food barrel used as a buffer tank
20m hose
10m hose
X Jet (totally unnecessary but quite handy)
Spare nozzles
Spare turbo nozzle
Spare FSC jets
Spare spark plug
Spare oil
Fuel 5 ltr container
Fuel 20ltr container
Waterproofs
Wellies
Ear defenders
Eye protection
Waterproof gloves
30m garden hose
Digital rev counter / hours counter
Hypo
Surfactant
Degreaser
Oxalic acid
Silicone grease
Pump-up pressure sprayer
Broom (stiff)
Broom (soft)
Dustpan and brush
Scrapers for moss etc.

Think that’s it. If I did a lot more of it I’d probably have all the same but a 21 lpm machine and then might need a bigger buffer tank. I still occasionally have to stop to let mine catch up but it’s a great size to move around and brilliant storage both on van and off.

I having been watching a few great videos on Utube about cleaning my Honda engine for my chipper as the petrol has separated because I have left it so long.
The newer E10 fuel is terrible for degrading over time. Don't leave it for more than a couple of months or you will have issues! Ideally don't keep it longer than 30 days!!

I know it's more expensive but Super unleaded is still E5 so has a much better lifespan. On something that doesn't get used very often Super Unleaded is much better.

The newer E10 fuel is terrible for degrading over time. Don't leave it for more than a couple of months or you will have issues! Ideally don't keep it longer than 30 days!!

I know it's more expensive but Super unleaded is still E5 so has a much better lifespan. On something that doesn't get used very often Super Unleaded is much better.
Very true problem is its being discontinued in 18 months and E10 will be the only option ??

Didn’t think petrol separated? Problem with leaving petrol is normally it going stale and gumming up your fuel system.
E10 contains more Ethanol which is a solvent. It can eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass, so hoses and seals are likely to perish more quickly because of the higher concentration of ethanol in E10.
Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water from the atmosphere. And that water, in turn, finds its way into your car, pressure washer, geny, wood chipper etc. It can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors and cause corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin and zinc components.

So over time it doesn't exactly separate but if left it absorbs water and that is a higher density than the fuel so will sit at the bottom of any tank or float bowl!

E10 contains more Ethanol which is a solvent. It can eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass, so hoses and seals are likely to perish more quickly because of the higher concentration of ethanol in E10.
Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water from the atmosphere. And that water, in turn, finds its way into your car, pressure washer, geny, wood chipper etc. It can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors and cause corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin and zinc components.

So over time it doesn't exactly separate but if left it absorbs water and that is a higher density than the fuel so will sit at the bottom of any tank or float bowl!
That’s what I thought. Never seen it separate before. Starting issues with older fuel are invariably caused by gumming up of fuel lines and carbs primarily, and to be fair in most cases it needs to be really really old though it’s good practice to run your equipment fuel system dry if you’re not using it for a while. Likewise older vehicle fuel lines weren’t up to scratch for the new fuel and would disintegrate into it causing blockages and poor running. Whilst it’s true in theory, the very small amounts of water absorbed in normal circumstances are negligible issues in comparison.

To be fair to that site I’ve bought quite a bit from them. Not sure how I came across them originally. Amazon or eBay probably. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Quick to reply, good prices and quick shipping etc. I know there’s a lot of love for Rutland on here and I’ve used them many times also, but they’re not the only supplier.

no there certainly not. I've used a few other companies and will do in the future, but I think for a start up kit and the quality rutlands are hard to beat. Every company has their flaws and Rutlands is customer service I do find it below par. Emails never get replied too and a promise of a call back never happens. Though the advice on hand is incredible, you'll find out what works for you best. Good luck.

Hi guys

It has already been mentioned by @Truckcab79 in his list but it's worth saying it again - HYPO! All the kit in the world will only do so much and hypo takes care of the rest. It is essential for removing lichen etc that water pressure alone won't clear.
Before spending a small fortune on equipment have you thought about where the work is coming from and how much you're likely to get? Pressure washing season is now here and any investment has to be off set against the likely return. 2k can be earned easily enough if you're busy, e.g. rank well in search results. If not where is the work coming from? Advertising, if so where?
And also think about what exactly you're offering, eg with block paving are you going to resand or resand and seal or neither?

Is that what it is, I was wondering as I used to leave things for a year and they would start again.

Back