Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It’s tough this canvassing lark!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well, well, well….

One of my maybes has just messaged and signed up yay!!!
Excellent mate.

I had a couple of messages from people this week who have both become 4 weekly, one j canvassed in September, the other was January/ February. It seems that interested people keep your leaflet and may eventually get in touch. Even if it takes months.

Excellent mate.

I had a couple of messages from people this week who have both become 4 weekly, one j canvassed in September, the other was January/ February. It seems that interested people keep your leaflet and may eventually get in touch. Even if it takes months.
One thing I have been doing if they say they already have a window cleaner is that I’m not looking to take anyone’s work but you can pop it in the draw and one day you might need it. I’ve made it really clear that I’m not taking or stepping on anyone’s toes, although no doubt the local window cleaner might not see it that way lol.

One thing I have been doing if they say they already have a window cleaner is that I’m not looking to take anyone’s work but you can pop it in the draw and one day you might need it. I’ve made it really clear that I’m not taking or stepping on anyone’s toes, although no doubt the local window cleaner might not see it that way lol.
I'm the same mate, I give a leaflet and say "if they ever let you down then get in touch". I won't undercut anyone, but if someone is doing a bad job I don't feel bad about taking a customer.

There is a Traditional window cleaner near me who does some window cleaning in the evenings and weekends on top of another job. He doesn't do a great job, frames aren't touched either. I do sometimes make a cheeky remark about getting in touch if they want their frames cleaned.

I'm the same mate, I give a leaflet and say "if they ever let you down then get in touch". I won't undercut anyone, but if someone is doing a bad job I don't feel bad about taking a customer.

There is a Traditional window cleaner near me who does some window cleaning in the evenings and weekends on top of another job. He doesn't do a great job, frames aren't touched either. I do sometimes make a cheeky remark about getting in touch if they want their frames cleaned.
In the area in currently canvassing I actually thought they was telling lies when they said they already have a window cleaner because the frames and sills are that bad! But there is so many that are saying it, it must be true! I can’t believe what they are getting away with. This with wfp as well because I’ve asked… it is hard walking away without saying wow! Your getting ripped off.

In the area in currently canvassing I actually thought they was telling lies when they said they already have a window cleaner because the frames and sills are that bad! But there is so many that are saying it, it must be true! I can’t believe what they are getting away with. This with wfp as well because I’ve asked… it is hard walking away without saying wow! Your getting ripped off.
Yea you get them. I had a customer tell me they weren't happy with their windows cleaner as he isn't doing the frames, I clean their neighbour and you could clearly see the difference. They asked me for a price and I was £2 more expensive every 4 weeks - never heard from them again and they still have dirty frames.

Yea you get them. I had a customer tell me they weren't happy with their windows cleaner as he isn't doing the frames, I clean their neighbour and you could clearly see the difference. They asked me for a price and I was £2 more expensive every 4 weeks - never heard from them again and they still have dirty frames.
Madness!

I have been telling customers that I price jobs fair, they are based on doing a proper job not a splash and dash. One or two I have requested a good brew and biscuits too hahaha. I think it makes it more personal when you try have a laugh with them. It breaks that barrier a bit, I don’t want to work for people I don’t like! I know I’m not really in a position to be fussy but sod it, this will be my forever business I hope so I want it enjoyable.

Madness!

I have been telling customers that I price jobs fair, they are based on doing a proper job not a splash and dash. One or two I have requested a good brew and biscuits too hahaha. I think it makes it more personal when you try have a laugh with them. It breaks that barrier a bit, I don’t want to work for people I don’t like! I know I’m not really in a position to be fussy but sod it, this will be my forever business I hope so I want it enjoyable.
You'll grow slightly slower, but you'll have much better customers, so it's not really a bad thing. Until recently I was taking any job I could, ended up with a fair few difficult customers. I needed the money so would put up with it. Some of them I have managed to mould into a good customer, others I'll have a word with and drop if I need to.

You'll grow slightly slower, but you'll have much better customers, so it's not really a bad thing. Until recently I was taking any job I could, ended up with a fair few difficult customers. I needed the money so would put up with it. Some of them I have managed to mould into a good customer, others I'll have a word with and drop if I need to.
Having been an employed window cleaner in the past even though not my money I did feel the pain with the rubbish jobs and low paid jobs. One thing I have promised myself is I wouldn’t just take on ****! I want to enjoy my time out working, I want to work 6 hours a day and 4 days a week. Doing some extras on day 5 if needed. I’m sick of working all hours and weekends!

Having been an employed window cleaner in the past even though not my money I did feel the pain with the rubbish jobs and low paid jobs. One thing I have promised myself is I wouldn’t just take on ****! I want to enjoy my time out working, I want to work 6 hours a day and 4 days a week. Doing some extras on day 5 if needed. I’m sick of working all hours and weekends!
Absolutely the best work life balance I've ever had. I used to work in retail, then in a call centre for 111 and was doing late shifts pretty much exclusively. And although they both had their pros, it's really nice to be able read my kids a story and get them to bed in the evening.

Today I’ve had 3 leads from Facebook ?

Been and priced one up, although worried she was expecting a cheaper price. looked a 4 bed semi with triple large sliding doors at rear and 3x Velux on side extension with 2 awkward windows set back on side, will be a push with the SLX 27. Priced it at £25 which I thought was fair but we will see.

The other two have contacted me this evening so need to go see them asap. Problem is I’m trying to get away somewhere with the kids next week so struggling for time BUT don’t want to lose the chance of new customers. Think I’ll go tomorrow ?

Last edited:
to anyone that’s currently canvassing or has done canvassing. Do you find many of the “maybe” knocks actually contact you back. I’ve had one so far, the thing is I’ve been out all day today and not picked any new jobs up but I’ve got 8 maybes and I’m feeling confident but I don’t know. Maybe I’m pricing them too high for this area, although I’ve picked some up last week and they seemed happy with the price and I’ve done the first cleans already. Starting to doubt everything lol.
If you can pick up 1 (or more) on a street and get some maybes, after a couple of cleans just stick a flyer or business card through their door to jog their memory

I remember one Door approach with a condescending scr0tum, all he wanted to do was put down and belittle, He thought he was a real success. Never forgot it and promised I would never be that guy. What a loser!!
it’s a numbers game keep plodding on, it’s a great time of The year to pick up custom and plenty of daylight to clean. If I was starting out now I think I’d knock in the evenings and clean in the day if you can manage to keep that pace up for a month or so you’ll be well on your way to a good round. Expect people to drop off your list too it’s two steps forward one back to begin with but its still forward. Best of luck.
by the way my favourite door approach is ”Hi I’m John the window cleaner Have you appointed someone to clean your windows?“ ( them) “No” “May I” - leave a long pregnant pause and wait for them to reply. if they say yes “ no probs have a great day!”

Been a busy day today! Got 3 new customers on top of the one I got yesterday. I got a message this morning from the app “Nextdoor”. Someone recommended it to me yesterday and I joined up straight away. Going well ?

If you can pick up 1 (or more) on a street and get some maybes, after a couple of cleans just stick a flyer or business card through their door to jog their memory
One new one I got today was next door to one I already do. I asked if it was a recommendation from next door and she said no. I then said oh was it from the flyer I posted through your door a few weeks back. She said no it was from a post I seen on Facebook ??.

She had no idea I was doing next door or that I had canvassed the whole street. The good news is her mum and sister live one road back and also need a window cleaner, again I canvassed them so goes to show canvassing isn’t best but still works! I’ve nothing from a random flyer post yet.

One new one I got today was next door to one I already do. I asked if it was a recommendation from next door and she said no. I then said oh was it from the flyer I posted through your door a few weeks back. She said no it was from a post I seen on Facebook ??.

She had no idea I was doing next door or that I had canvassed the whole street. The good news is her mum and sister live one road back and also need a window cleaner, again I canvassed them so goes to show canvassing isn’t best but still works! I’ve nothing from a random flyer post yet.
Well done. It does seem that different areas need different approaches.

To update this thread I’ve started to feel my confidence slip lately, I went away for a week so had a break and I’ve started to struggle knocking doors. I also lost a customer, my first canvassed customer too. I messed up on my timing and brought the job forward too much and the customer wasn’t happy. No real explanation other than his wife wasn’t happy with the service but they did moan first about me being early. It’s knocked me a back a little ?

To update this thread I’ve started to feel my confidence slip lately, I went away for a week so had a break and I’ve started to struggle knocking doors. I also lost a customer, my first canvassed customer too. I messed up on my timing and brought the job forward too much and the customer wasn’t happy. No real explanation other than his wife wasn’t happy with the service but they did moan first about me being early. It’s knocked me a back a little ?
Sorry to hear that mate. Don't take it personally, just try to learn from every mistake you make. You'll get better and better at being self employed.

You said you've started to struggle knocking doors, in what way? You are getting more nervous than before? Or your conversation rate has gone down?

Chin up mate, everyone on this forum has had hard times, you'll get past it.

The rejection is real lol.

From snotty women that just answer the door “YEAH” to the older couple that have just waited till I was walking back past to rip my flyer up in front of me and chucked it in the bin. ?

I thought I had thick skin but this is testing. It’s started off well but it’s getting tougher and tougher.

What’s the worst you lot have dealt with?
Ahh the wonder of knocking on doors "good afternoon I'm a local window cleaner in the area looking to expand my customer ba"slam goes the door I've even been told to f/off it prepares you for allsorts when you canvass it also takes you to near breaking point but don't give up I promise things get better the more you do it. 32 years down the line and a heap of experience it just doesn't get any easier very fortunately I have several staff and a full time canvassers as we expand. what advice can an old grumpy F77ker like me give you? SMILE always SMILE look them in the eye when you speak and be polite when they say no offer a leaflet and then bid them good day, loyalty is a fundamental part of window cleaning and some people won't move we still have our first customers but one day they might call. other than that canvassing is really ****, I loved it though because i was always one no away from a yes.

Sorry to hear that mate. Don't take it personally, just try to learn from every mistake you make. You'll get better and better at being self employed.

You said you've started to struggle knocking doors, in what way? You are getting more nervous than before? Or your conversation rate has gone down?

Chin up mate, everyone on this forum has had hard times, you'll get past it.
Yeah I’ve started to get less confident, it’s strange because I’m very confident and can talk anyone to sleep (so the mrs tells me) but the rejection is a bitter pill to swallow lol. I’ll be fine just got to slap myself across the face and crack on. ?

Latest Posts

Back