Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It’s tough this canvassing lark!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ahh the wonder of knocking on doors "good afternoon I'm a local window cleaner in the area looking to expand my customer ba"slam goes the door I've even been told to f/off it prepares you for allsorts when you canvass it also takes you to near breaking point but don't give up I promise things get better the more you do it. 32 years down the line and a heap of experience it just doesn't get any easier very fortunately I have several staff and a full time canvassers as we expand. what advice can an old grumpy F77ker like me give you? SMILE always SMILE look them in the eye when you speak and be polite when they say no offer a leaflet and then bid them good day, loyalty is a fundamental part of window cleaning and some people won't move we still have our first customers but one day they might call. other than that canvassing is really ****, I loved it though because i was always one no away from a yes.
It’s a real grind that’s for sure, it’s not as easy as people think. My mrs is like you need to get thick skin then, I said I’ve got thick skin, she says get thicker skin! ?

It’s easy for her to say she’s not the one doing the knocking! Although I think if she did I would get more customers ?.

Like above I just need to snap out of it and get in the swing of it again. Thanks for the advice ??

I generally don't get many horrible people, maybe 1 person every 4 or 5 hours canvassed. The rejection is hard, but for me when you close one the feeling you get outweighs if.
Sometimes you go through a dry patch where you struggle to get any new customers, when that happens use some other methods - Facebook etc.
You'll get back on your groove again, I know it.

Might be worth going back to basics, have you changed your pitch when you speak to someone? Have you changed the times you've been going out? Etc.

I have paid my wife my sister and my mum to canvass for me in the past, I give them 2x the value of the property they gain. Helps me expand faster, gives them some money too.

I generally don't get many horrible people, maybe 1 person every 4 or 5 hours canvassed. The rejection is hard, but for me when you close one the feeling you get outweighs if.
Sometimes you go through a dry patch where you struggle to get any new customers, when that happens use some other methods - Facebook etc.
You'll get back on your groove again, I know it.

Might be worth going back to basics, have you changed your pitch when you speak to someone? Have you changed the times you've been going out? Etc.

I have paid my wife my sister and my mum to canvass for me in the past, I give them 2x the value of the property they gain. Helps me expand faster, gives them some money too.
I haven’t changed what I say, I just generally keep it simple to start with “hello I’m a local window cleaner in the area, do you have a window cleaner currently?” I’ve worked in retail for a long time so good at reading customer etc. I have been going out for longer days so starting earlier, it’s hard to judge because the earlier you go the less people are at home although a lot are working from home these days and the other side of the coin is I’ve had some that seem interested but then realise the tea is on and they need to get back cooking or similar. I’m not sure how I feel about knocking at say 8-9pm I think that’s too late.

I haven’t changed what I say, I just generally keep it simple to start with “hello I’m a local window cleaner in the area, do you have a window cleaner currently?” I’ve worked in retail for a long time so good at reading customer etc. I have been going out for longer days so starting earlier, it’s hard to judge because the earlier you go the less people are at home although a lot are working from home these days and the other side of the coin is I’ve had some that seem interested but then realise the tea is on and they need to get back cooking or similar. I’m not sure how I feel about knocking at say 8-9pm I think that’s too late.
Ah a fellow former retail employee! What did you do? I spent 8 years at Currys PC World in various roles.

Honestly, I tend to do most of my canvassing in the day times, very rarely going out in the evening. Time you go out is so dependant on the area and the type of people you meet etc.

Doesn't sound like anything has physically changed then, if you've been going at it constantly maybe you need a couple days break from it.
Either way, I'm sure you'll get there. It's hard, but you'll get there

In our experience you have to be in the right place at the right time canvassing. If you aren't getting any success in area 1, then canvass in another area.

We used to say, "Hi, we are window cleaners looking to expand (grow our business) in your area and wondered if you could do with an honest, reliable (what ever suits you), window cleaning service. We offer a free, no obligation quote. I could quote you now or come back later when it's perhaps more convenient."
Leave it to them to continue the conversation. They already have a window, they clean them themselves, their father cleans them etc.

What we are trying to do is not ask a question that has a yes or no answer. Those tend to stop a conversation. I'm sorry, but often when a shop assistant came up to me asking if they could help me, I usually replied that I was beyond help. The shop assistant leaves with nothing and asks the same question to the next customer. If that shop assistant spent a little more time watching and then approach me based on his observations, then he might just have got a sale. "I see you are drawn to a grey tie. Is plain grey what you prefer, or would something with a splash of colour interest you?" The answer can't be No. "A cherry coloured shirt would go very well with that grey tie. Let me show you how well they match together. What size collar do you take? I would imagine in this weather you would go for short sleeves."

We found the best canvassers were our customers. If your existing customers are happy with your service, ask them if they have any friends or family living in the local area who would benefit from your service.
We still have many loyal customers who came from recommendation by friends and family.

My suggestion would also be to canvass the neighbours of those you clean. Over the years we have pockets of customers which began with just one recommendation. "We clean the windows of the Gibsons next door. We offer a free, no obligation quote. I could quote you now or come back when it's perhaps a little more convenient."

Last edited:
Ah a fellow former retail employee! What did you do? I spent 8 years at Currys PC World in various roles.

Honestly, I tend to do most of my canvassing in the day times, very rarely going out in the evening. Time you go out is so dependant on the area and the type of people you meet etc.

Doesn't sound like anything has physically changed then, if you've been going at it constantly maybe you need a couple days break from it.
Either way, I'm sure you'll get there. It's hard, but you'll get there
I worked in management for a sports company. Horrible hours, the money was ok though. I’ve not been going at it enough is what I think is the problem, I’ve just had a full two week break from canvassing. I did go at it hard before the break and it wasn’t going amazing or didn’t feel like it. I went out today for a hour or two to try get back into it but I found myself sat in the car for far too long, I just struggled to get into it. Although I’m feeling more positive right now and I’m going to spend a good few hours tomorrow and Friday.

In our experience you have to be in the right place at the right time canvassing. If you aren't getting any success in area 1, then canvass in another area.

We used to say, "Hi, we are window cleaners looking to expand (grow our business) in your area and wondered if you could do with an honest, reliable (what ever suits you), window cleaning service. We offer a free, no obligation quote. I could quote you now or come back later when it's perhaps more convenient."
Leave it to them to continue the conversation. They already have a window, they clean them themselves, their father cleans them etc.

What we are trying to do is not ask a question that has a yes or no answer. Those tend to stop a conversation. I'm sorry, but often when a shop assistant came up to me asking if they could help me, I usually replied that I was beyond help. The shop assistant leaves with nothing and asks the same question to the next customer. If that shop assistant spent a little more time watching and then approach me based on his observations, then he might just have got a sale. "I see you are drawn to a grey tie. Is plain grey what you prefer, or would something with a splash of colour interest you?" The answer can't be No. "A cherry coloured shirt would go very well with that grey tie. Let me show you how well they match together. What size collar do you take? I would imagine in this weather you would go for short sleeves."

We found the best canvassers were our customers. If your existing customers are happy with your service, ask them if they have any friends or family living in the local area who would benefit from your service.
We still have many loyal customers who came from recommendation by friends and family.

My suggestion would also be to canvass the neighbours of those you clean. Over the years we have pockets of customers which began with just one recommendation. "We clean the windows of the Gibsons next door. We offer a free, no obligation quote. I could quote you now or come back when it's perhaps a little more convenient."
It's interesting finding out other peoples pitch, I've had huge success with just saying "I'm a local window cleaner, would you like a regular window cleaner" - short, sweet and to the point.
It's all what you are comfortable with.

I worked in management for a sports company. Horrible hours, the money was ok though. I’ve not been going at it enough is what I think is the problem, I’ve just had a full two week break from canvassing. I did go at it hard before the break and it wasn’t going amazing or didn’t feel like it. I went out today for a hour or two to try get back into it but I found myself sat in the car for far too long, I just struggled to get into it. Although I’m feeling more positive right now and I’m going to spend a good few hours tomorrow and Friday.
Go get it mate, there is plenty of glass out there. Keep positive and you'll do great. Keep us posted bud.

What we are trying to do is not ask a question that has a yes or no answer. Those tend to stop a conversation. I'm sorry, but often when a shop assistant came up to me asking if they could help me, I usually replied that I was beyond help. The shop assistant leaves with nothing and asks the same question to the next customer. If that shop assistant spent a little more time watching and then approach me based on his observations, then he might just have got a sale. "I see you are drawn to a grey tie. Is plain grey what you prefer, or would something with a splash of colour interest you?" The answer can't be No. "A cherry coloured shirt would go very well with that grey tie. Let me show you how well they match together. What size collar do you take?"

Valid points, I do try not to be robotic and say the same thing if possible but that all depends on the first reaction as they open the door. some people are really approachable some just jump in and say “I’ve already got one” before I’ve finished which is bloody rude!

I think because I’ve targeted one area first and it’s not been great that’s not helped at all.

Yay!

I’ve picked up a couple of jobs today, next door to each other too ?‍?.

Only had one horrible women shut the door on me rudely. Obviously needs some new batteries for her dildo ?.

Valid points, I do try not to be robotic and say the same thing if possible but that all depends on the first reaction as they open the door. some people are really approachable some just jump in and say “I’ve already got one” before I’ve finished which is bloody rude!

I think because I’ve targeted one area first and it’s not been great that’s not helped at all.
Look at them positively. They have just saved you wasting your time with them. You can now move on quicker to knock the next door and get closer to a Yes.

We once had a salesman who figured out that he averaged 11 no's to 1 yes. He used to look forward to the No's.

Leaflets are good and do work, contrary to what some will tell you. The thing with leaflets is you don't get that feeling of rejection. You post them and they contact you. I get people ringing me up a year after I've posted them, so it's both long and short term the affect it has on the work. You need to have a plan though and make notes of where you've dropped and where the calls are coming from. You do need to put effort into it though. Don't think that by posting 100 per week it's enough. You need to be posting 400 per week every week, even when you're busy. Consistency is key.

The ideal method in my opinion is to leaflet an area, (don't miss any btw, I've got great customers from houses you would think would never want a window cleaner), then when you get a call and go and do a quotation, knock on 10 houses either side of the quotation and say 'Hi, I'm ...... I've just been to give your neighbour a quotation for window cleaning, do you need a window cleaner and if you do would you like a quotation while I'm here?' This has worked well for me in the past because it's like collective agreement, their neighbour has had a quote so it gives you credibility.

Leaflets are good and do work, contrary to what some will tell you. The thing with leaflets is you don't get that feeling of rejection. You post them and they contact you. I get people ringing me up a year after I've posted them, so it's both long and short term the affect it has on the work. You need to have a plan though and make notes of where you've dropped and where the calls are coming from. You do need to put effort into it though. Don't think that by posting 100 per week it's enough. You need to be posting 400 per week every week, even when you're busy. Consistency is key.

The ideal method in my opinion is to leaflet an area, (don't miss any btw, I've got great customers from houses you would think would never want a window cleaner), then when you get a call and go and do a quotation, knock on 10 houses either side of the quotation and say 'Hi, I'm ...... I've just been to give your neighbour a quotation for window cleaning, do you need a window cleaner and if you do would you like a quotation while I'm here?' This has worked well for me in the past because it's like collective agreement, their neighbour has had a quote so it gives you credibility.
Funnily enough I got one house today and when I knocked on next door she seemed interested but as soon as I mentioned that next door had signed up she was like yep sign me up please.

You really need the woman answering the door too. The pick up ratio to men answering is quite high. Most of the time the guys not caring if the windows are clean or not.

In new build estates when I used to do them I always found pretending you were quite impressed with how nice the houses look, make a joke if they managed to get the turf in the back garden thrown into the price.

It's ppls first bought house alot of the time and there chuffed to bits with it and usually want to tell everyone who will listen about it. So going in at that angle keeps them at the door talking. Anyone who has bought a new build will know about the price charged for extras. Even the turf in the back garden is an extra, the prices are usually higher than you can get elsewhere too, everyone wants to tell you just how much extras they got done and the price of it all, look shocked when they tell you then say something like how it's different to the others you do, quite unique really. There all happy with themselfs as someone's noticed there's is different.

All sounds silly and your probably thinking surley ppl will see through it and know what your doing. They haven't a clue, they sap it all up thinking there great and even say to there partner as a way to justify the extras saying see, I've had compliments about our house already. Sign them up and walk away laughing inside.

You really need the woman answering the door too. The pick up ratio to men answering is quite high. Most of the time the guys not caring if the windows are clean or not.

In new build estates when I used to do them I always found pretending you were quite impressed with how nice the houses look, make a joke if they managed to get the turf in the back garden thrown into the price.

It's ppls first bought house alot of the time and there chuffed to bits with it and usually want to tell everyone who will listen about it. So going in at that angle keeps them at the door talking. Anyone who has bought a new build will know about the price charged for extras. Even the turf in the back garden is an extra, the prices are usually higher than you can get elsewhere too, everyone wants to tell you just how much extras they got done and the price of it all, look shocked when they tell you then say something like how it's different to the others you do, quite unique really. There all happy with themselfs as someone's noticed there's is different.

All sounds silly and your probably thinking surley ppl will see through it and know what your doing. They haven't a clue, they sap it all up thinking there great and even say to there partner as a way to justify the extras saying see, I've had compliments about our house already. Sign them up and walk away laughing inside.
Thanks for the reply Yogi, I’ve not looked at any new builds yet. I’m sure I will get to some and I’ll use your advice. Thanks

I cant cope with rude people so i didnt last long when i did it.

I once knocked on one, then after i had knocked i noticed there was a note saying "no canvassing" so when the bloke opened the door, me being a nice chap i said "sorry i didnt notice your sign but just wondered if.......door slammed in my face. That ****** me off, i knocked on it again just to call him a ****.

But yeh its not nice makes you feel like a dosser and beggar with some of the reactions.

You need an attractive young lady to do it for you, its so much harder to be rude to a lil hotty at your door, ive listened to loads of rubbish for far longer than i would from some hairy bloke :ROFLMAO:

I cant cope with rude people so i didnt last long when i did it.

I once knocked on one, then after i had knocked i noticed there was a note saying "no canvassing" so when the bloke opened the door, me being a nice chap i said "sorry i didnt notice your sign but just wondered if.......door slammed in my face. That ****** me off, i knocked on it again just to call him a ****.

But yeh its not nice makes you feel like a dosser and beggar with some of the reactions.

You need an attractive young lady to do it for you, its so much harder to be rude to a lil hotty at your door, ive listened to loads of rubbish for far longer than i would from some hairy bloke :ROFLMAO:
I better not send the mrs out then ?

Latest Posts

Back