Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I've got a 'situation' with a customer. What would you do in this situation?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Why?
That's the best line.

Your not competing on price, you are competing on customer service and value for money.

I make it clear if it's cheap you want look elsewhere. I look to promote the fact that I am professional, insured, do a fantastic job and look to resolve any issues asap.
Sorry just meant that there's no point being self -deprecating. Sell yourself on what you do well, not on what you don't do - so just like you wrote, you do a good job, provide value and good customer service. No need to remind them there are cheapos out there, they'll realise that themselves and if want a poor job done cheaply then they probably aren't your customer base!

Not read all the replies but you asked her if there was anything you could do. You gave her the opening to say. "I'd like a reduction or a refund"

My advice would be to send an insurance letter.

"I have renewed my insurance, your house is no longer covered blah blah. DUMPED" if you want a copy just ask mate.

Had one myself today. She threatened to use another window cleaner. I just said that's a perfect idea as keeps everyone happy. Guess who back footed straight away. Her!!! She complained because we're booking for July now. She took nearly a week to text me back about an appt. I think I annoyed her by saying not only has that one gone so have the other two I offered lol

Tell her your no longer interested in her house and that you don't price by the hour ..if she is in need of gutters cleaned again then her husband can buy a set of ladders for a lot more than £30 and risk it himself.

Don't stress over it bin her and if any neighbours ask tell them her husbands a ****?!!!

I had a reply from her.

"Wow I don't have internet banking so you'll have to come and collect".

I'm not sure if she meant to say 'wow' at the beginning or whether she's somehow mistyped 'well'.

Either way, she's a goner and I'm pleased I let her know why. I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't acknowledge any of my points in my text to her but she's shown her true colours and I'm pleased to be rid.

I'm also pleased that I didn't have this exchange face to face. She's clearly irrational and I think things could have gone differently if I was stood in front of her, especially if her old man was there.

At the end of the day I've got my point across and given her a polite f*** you. I don't normally get wound up by customers but this has really annoyed me today. Time to put it behind me and forget about it. She'll be replaced by the end of tomorrow.

Move on matey, it's not worth the agro. Had one moaning ***** last week, told her shove it. Not like it's your biggest customer & you depend upon it.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I had a reply from her.
"Wow I don't have internet banking so you'll have to come and collect".

I'm not sure if she meant to say 'wow' at the beginning or whether she's somehow mistyped 'well'.

Either way, she's a goner and I'm pleased I let her know why. I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't acknowledge any of my points in my text to her but she's shown her true colours and I'm pleased to be rid.

I'm also pleased that I didn't have this exchange face to face. She's clearly irrational and I think things could have gone differently if I was stood in front of her, especially if her old man was there.

At the end of the day I've got my point across and given her a polite f*** you. I don't normally get wound up by customers but this has really annoyed me today. Time to put it behind me and forget about it. She'll be replaced by the end of tomorrow.
bet she starts either causing a scene, or begging when you collect

I'm not going to give her a chance to cancel the windows whether she's happy or not. I feel like she's accused me of trying to scam her and I'm annoyed that it's taken her two months to speak to me about it. I don't want to work for people like that.
I would have parked outside and waited for hubby.

'Excuse me sir. Here's your £30 back, you obviously need it more than I do.'

Smile at him nicely amd walk away.

As i said earlier when we met up Neil tell her to roll it up turn it sideways and shove it up her arris lolWe both know what some are like round here and you can do without it

Use that time to get another customer on gt ashby and steal my work :rofl::sad:
I took your advice mate

She'll have to wait til next week though.

You_Doodle_2017-05-04T10_57_42Z.jpg

Haven't read all of the replies, but I think you've handled it well enough. Dont bend over backwards to appease her. At the end of the day, you quoted her a price and she agreed, so it doesn't matter if it took you 5 mins or 5 hours because you already agreed a price. Now if the finished job was bad, then thats another matter but by the sound of it, it wasn't.

I'd drop her and replace personally.

Yeah, I haven't read all the reply's either. But I think your totally right about her getting an ear bashing off her bloke and then taking it out on you. You should definitely drop her and I would consider doing it with a text like this:

Hello Mrs ......... After some thought about your recent texts, I have come to the conclusion that your husband wasn't happy with you about the gutter clearing and you are taking that out on me. Truly if you were unhappy with my job you should have said then or within a week, taking two months to complain is unacceptable! You have a duty as a customer to tell me in reasonable time if there is a problem. I clearly told you what the price was and for what gutters. Which was/is a reasonable price (among professional company's) Please keep the outstanding money you owe me as a good will gesture and please don't contact me again!

That just what I would do most likey. I'm not telling you to send that and hope i'm not overstepping the line in writing that.

Great post btw. Nice to hear someone take there time to think and get to the truth of a situation

I have lost my fair share of customers over the past 28 years and I would say it comes down to 2 simple options.

1. If you are not happy with the situation and you can afford to lose her as a customer then dump her.....tactfully of course.

2. If you can't afford to lose the job then eat a bit of humble pie and clean the other side of her gutter without charge!

Yes it's a tough one to swallow but how long will it take you....15-20 minutes?

It's just time and you will keep a very happy customer and this may lead to more referals.

Your reputation as an honest window cleaner should be the priority here.

Many may not agree with my suggestion, but..........it's just a suggestion!

Having faced a similar issue with a long standing customer recently I said if you're not happy I won't charge for the last clean (windows only), rather than any animosity and further resentment every time I clean I won't clean them again. I'd rather stay amicable.

It's a tough one, but I'd rather take a knock with them going away with a small result, they'd have dumped anyway. This way I'm ahead.

Back