Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leasing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

J and S

Not about me but my niece has taken her lease car back in for exchange for a new one.

They have charged her £400 for a scuff mark on a seat and a tiny scratch on the bodywork that she didn't even know about.

Is this fair...what happened to  fair wear and tear?

Think about it...all your paying for is the depreciation. Your borrowing an expensive car. Knowing it has to go back as you took it.
That seems cheap to be honest especially if it's metallic paint which will need the whole side spraying to match or even scuffs repaired on leather.
Would you be happy if it was your car coming back damaged..?
Don't seem to be harsh but she should of noticed it.
It's in the contract.[emoji53]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

But they do it's in the small print.
It's why you see so many young scroats driving mercs near us.

Think about it..if she'd bought it outright and went to trade it .. she'd be pulled up and offered accordingly, in their favour obviously. All the motor trade do it. I used to have two car sales units, and got out at the right time. When you rent a vehicle .. you and them check it furiously before and after cause they'll dam right have you for any damage.

Or maybe taking advantage of a young woman....I would have asked for a receipt for the work.

Or as you say maybe it's more than just a scuff and scratch.

I know I got a shock when I was given my rights as a car trader which filled a couple of A4 sheets .. to see the rights for a customer...like a bloody old style yellow pages...lol
It's a lesson she'll learn unfortunately.
To me £400 sounds fair and run away. Any decent paint jobs are costly never mind interior.

Or maybe taking advantage of a young woman....I would have asked for a receipt for the work.

Or as you say maybe it's more than just a scuff and scratch.

Each finance house will have it own standards of fair wear and tear. They will supply a booklet detailing how they judge FW&T if you ask for it. On one it was a small scratch of less than 5mm that was seen as FW&T. Over that they saw it as a customers responsibility to repair it.

A finance house will have a price for repairing that scratch which will involve respraying the whole panel. That's where they get their pricing from.

Chances are the finance house will not repair it. They will send the car to auction as it is. A buyer will decide what the value of the car is when bidding taking into consideration any body damage. Oh, btw, be seen to be taking high resolution photos of every body panel when they inspect the car.

Unfortunately, some inspectors are more critical of a car's return than others. We used to deal with one finance house that had 2 inspectors. One was a nightmare and the other was a little more laid back. If we had to deliver a new vehicle to their customer direct we would have to return the return car to the finance house. We quickly worked out which day that nightmare inspector had off during the week and never returned a car on that day. Saved us hassle and save the customer money as well. 

No woman should ever go into a motor garage or place like that on her own. She must go with a male backup that has a good mechanical knowledge.

I have dealt with a local brake and exhaust center for tyres and MOT's for many years. They know me well down there. Daughter in law was driving past them, braked and she foot went to the floor - no brakes. She drove the car into them for help. They didn't know her. One of the bake brake caliphers had broken. They quoted her £750 for a new calipher, brake discs and pads and also 'discovered' that the front pads and discs also needed doing. She phoned me as they rightly refused to let the car go. When they saw me they suddenly could find a reconditioned calipher, and they suggested the back brakes needed doing. They looked OK to me and by their own admission the front brakes where good to go for a little bit longer. Funnily enough, I had changed the front pads and discs a few months earlier. So they saw a young vunerable woman with two children in the back and tried to take advantage of their situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back