Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just looking for some tips!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Decided I've had enough of turning gutter jobs down, especially when they're regular customers of mine as they might end up going with another windy. As things stand, I only take on jobs that are possible with the WFP I.e conny roofs, gutter and fascia cleaning etc. 

I have a couple of bigger jobs lined up including emptying the gutters on a school (they're getting a scissor lift in), but there are some areas where I'll need a gutter vac as well as a few blocks of flats that a property manager friend of mine wants me to maintain also. 

What kind of tools would you guys recommend? I need a gutter vac for starters. Any tips you would give me?

Thanks guys

Give Julia a ring at GVS @Julia Martin there vacs are supposed to be good , they sell complete packages , my recommendation if you are going to be doing high stuff or commercial go for the bigger 3 motor vacs , if money and size aren't important look at skyvac industrial or the interceptor they are very good vacs but not cheap . Any specific questions just ask .

My advice would be by a Sky Vac Interceptor, camera and screen and 40' Elite poles, with a spare crevice tool. Probably around £5.5k investment but it's the best, and safest out there. I would also buy a very good set of ladders, stand off, Pro Gutter tools and a ladder bucket hook, because at some stage you will need to get the ladders out.

There are far cheaper alternatives, but there are cheaper WFP's yet everyone seems to want the best. 

Thanks for the advice guys. In all fairness my work will be 95% residential, it just so happens I've had a few big jobs approach me about gutter clearing where I might need something a bit bigger.

Would the interceptor be good for a standard house or would it be a little bit overkill? I think I need something mid range I've had a little go with a skyvac atom and I'm not sure if it would cut the mustard on the bigger jobs.

Have just ordered some of the tools you mentioned @Part Timer thanks for that. 

Thanks for the advice guys. In all fairness my work will be 95% residential, it just so happens I've had a few big jobs approach me about gutter clearing where I might need something a bit bigger.

Would the interceptor be good for a standard house or would it be a little bit overkill? I think I need something mid range I've had a little go with a skyvac atom and I'm not sure if it would cut the mustard on the bigger jobs.

Have just ordered some of the tools you mentioned @Part Timer thanks for that. 
We use the interceptor for houses and it’s fine you  don’t  need anything that big but it’s better to be able to do everything easily rather than struggle ,we also have the Grippatank vac mains electric which is ideal for shop fronts , the interceptor takes up a lot of room in the van but if you are going to be using a genie to run a vac then that will take up more space . Although it looks big it’s easy to get in and out of the van on your own and move it about 

It really depends on if you are going to be using customers electricity. I'm on my 3rd vac, had a Kiam and a Sky Vac Industrial. Both needed a generator and by the time you hump both of these out of your van and set them up you'd be halfway round a house with the Inteceptor.

Also so you can adapt your pole for the Pro Gutter tools buy one of these.

https://www.rutlandpumps.com/reach-around-acme.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on if you are going to be using customers electricity. I'm on my 3rd vac, had a Kiam and a Sky Vac Industrial. Both needed a generator and by the time you hump both of these out of your van and set them up you'd be halfway round a house with the Inteceptor.

Also so you can adapt your pole for the Pro Gutter tools buy one of these.

https://www.rutlandpumps.com/reach-around-acme.html
That's a good point. From your experience how do customers respond to asking if you can use their electricity? I've never had to use a customers outside tap for example. Can it make you seem like a cowboy or am I looking too far into it? 

That's a good point. From your experience how do customers respond to asking if you can use their electricity? I've never had to use a customers outside tap for example. Can it make you seem like a cowboy or am I looking too far into it? 
They can forget you are coming and not leave the garage unlocked or go out then you are unable to do the job that’s why I like the interceptor you are totally self sufficient.

That's why I've always had a generator, occasionally used a customers electricity but asked before I quoted for the job.

99% of my vaccing revenue is from big commercial jobs though

Thinking about going with one of the lower budget models to see how I get on, maybe a skyvac atom or gutter sucker junior to begin with. 

I'll be doing the job on the school on a scissor lift so will be using hand tools for that one. Skyvac atom/gutter sucker junior should be enough for residential work shouldn't it? 

Figured I'd get my feet wet before forking out on a bigger model

Thinking about going with one of the lower budget models to see how I get on, maybe a skyvac atom or gutter sucker junior to begin with. 

I'll be doing the job on the school on a scissor lift so will be using hand tools for that one. Skyvac atom/gutter sucker junior should be enough for residential work shouldn't it? 

Figured I'd get my feet wet before forking out on a bigger model
If you can get a "cheaper" one with a blow function it will be very handy as this is very useful to remove blockages. Not sure if there's such a thing. The smaller vacs will be fine, wouldn't really like to go much over 25' with them though

Is the release pole no good? I thought that seemed a good idea.
I like the release pole but 8 times out of 10 when you open it to release the  suction the grass turf  or what ever still doesn’t come out of the end tool , but to get it to blow in stead of suck you have to move the hose  from the top  of the drum to the bottom of the compressor thingy so it would need two people as @Part Timer said I haven’t used this to be honest will give it a go next time we do a bad one . 

Yes, far better than the release pole. Also very good for dense compact pine needles. Only really good on a 2 man team
One thing I have noticed is on the blow function the air is quite warm so could use it as a hair dryer ?????

Decided I've had enough of turning gutter jobs down, especially when they're regular customers of mine as they might end up going with another windy. As things stand, I only take on jobs that are possible with the WFP I.e conny roofs, gutter and fascia cleaning etc. 

I have a couple of bigger jobs lined up including emptying the gutters on a school (they're getting a scissor lift in), but there are some areas where I'll need a gutter vac as well as a few blocks of flats that a property manager friend of mine wants me to maintain also. 

What kind of tools would you guys recommend? I need a gutter vac for starters. Any tips you would give me?

Thanks guys
Contact Mark or Julia as previously mentioned. One company that can answer all your questions and supply quality equipment.

Do you have IPAF it using a scissor lift and harness 

Contact Mark or Julia as previously mentioned. One company that can answer all your questions and supply quality equipment.

Do you have IPAF it using a scissor lift and harness 
Thanks everyone. I'll give GVS a call! 

Yeah I have my IPAF licence from my previous employment, as well as harnesses. 

How would you guys go about finding gutter clearing work if you didn't have the reputation behind you/word of mouth. Would you advertise it or just put it on leaflets etc and wait for enquiries to come in? I'm guessing people don't canvass for gutter clearing.

Thanks everyone. I'll give GVS a call! 

Yeah I have my IPAF licence from my previous employment, as well as harnesses. 

How would you guys go about finding gutter clearing work if you didn't have the reputation behind you/word of mouth. Would you advertise it or just put it on leaflets etc and wait for enquiries to come in? I'm guessing people don't canvass for gutter clearing.
Speak to any existing customers ware you can see weeds growing in the gutters etc , always when quoting check the gap between the roof tiles and the gutters as some are so tight you struggle to get your fingers in between the two . 

Latest Posts

Back