Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

leaking joint help please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Craigmac

so this part of my diy setup is prone to leaking. 

sometimes coming out at pressure.

I don't know weather it is just that I have a cheap hose connected (may be I need a more supple one) or it may be that is am a little wary of tightening the jubilee clip to much as the pump attachement is plastic and I do not want to risk putting to much pressure on it just in case it snaps.

I'm not even running the pump that high. 

30 on my controller. 

20190629_100733.jpg

so this part of my diy setup is prone to leaking. 

sometimes coming out at pressure.

I don't know weather it is just that I have a cheap hose connected (may be I need a more supple one) or it may be that is am a little wary of tightening the jubilee clip to much as the pump attachement is plastic and I do not want to risk putting to much pressure on it just in case it snaps.

I'm not even running the pump that high. 

30 on my controller. 

View attachment 16946

Is it leaking at the hose clip or at the cone/tapered joint?

I usually CAREFULLY nip the wingnut up slightly more with a spanner. Don't use PTFE tape. The plastic couplers are very strong so I would tighten the hose clip up a little more. I prefer to use single eared o clips from Gardiners instead of jubilee hose clamps. Jubilee clamps don't always seem to squeeze the hose around the entire circumference of the hose. Invariably there is a little bulge where water leaks from.

If you are talking at the flow rate at 30 then setting at 60 or 20 won't reduce or increase the leak. Its the pressure that causes the leak, usually when the maximum pressure has built up in the pipe at dead ending. Pressure and flow are not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it leaking at the hose clip or at the cone/tapered joint?

I usually CAREFULLY nip the wingnut up slightly more with a spanner. Don't use PTFE tape. The plastic couplers are very strong so I would tighten the hose clip up a little more. I prefer to use single eared o clips from Gardiners instead of jubilee hose clamps. Jubilee clamps don't always seem to squeeze the hose around the entire circumference of the hose. Invariably there is a little bulge where water leaks from.

If you are talking at the flow rate at 30 then setting at 60 or 20 won't reduce or increase the leak. Its the pressure that causes the leak, usually when the maximum pressure has built up in the pipe at dead ending. Pressure and flow are not the same.
the leak comes from the hose / jubilee clip part and not the plastic pump connection. 

may try a couple more turns on the jubilee clip. 

failing that I will order the O clips you recommend.  thanks 

Sometimes by cutting off the end of the hose put it in boiling water for 20 seconds then putting it onto the fitting and as it cools it will grip the fitting then do up the ear clamp will stop leaks this is what i do on my hot system it stops  leaks works well . 

Back