Leaking sap, what to use?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by TolishAPurd, Apr 15, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. TolishAPurd

Alright fellas. I came up against some wood framed, leaded windows today on a first clean. My problem is that whoever painted the frames first didn't treat the knots in the wood. So I've got great big blobs of sap on the frames. I was planning on carving it off with a scraper, but what would you use to clean off the residue? This stuff has the consistancy and look of linseed window putty.

Cheers.

Advertisement
  2. Beccy

Beccy Active Member

No experience from a window cleaner point of view, but I used to run an aerial adventure course and the best thing we found to get sap off hands and uniforms was that gel handwash stuff that you have to rub on your hands before going into a hospital ward. Not sure if it might damage any other parts of the window though?

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I wouldn't bother with stuff like that TAP. You clean the glass as first priority and a rub of the frame if you're self conscious, but not doing a painters' job for him. We could end up polishing brass door knockers and beating door mats :rolleyes:

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Nice tip :thumbsup:

5. TolishAPurd

#5 TolishAPurd, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    I totally agree with you tuffers, thats why I left it all. At first I thought it was yellow expanding foam and that stuff is a PITA to get off. But when I got to one of the windows there was a massive lump which is just a bit too obvious on the frame, so with them soon to be a regular customer I wanted to slowly remove then one month at a time. I only got the job because the pole WCer before me never cleaned the sills, so it would be a nice touch to get the frames looking a bit better too. But I never try to remove stains, paints, caulks, or in this case poor painters preparation, or other building products unless it is specifically requested.

Thanks for the tip Beccy, you could be on to something here as I usually have some on this in the van.

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Take a pot of paint next time TAP, that'll sort it ;)

Yeah see where you're coming from mate, not many good un's like you about :thumbsup:

7. TolishAPurd

Lol, I even considered the paint when I noticed it, but the existing paint is a bit old so it would stick out like a sore thumb. :D

Cheers mate, thats how I try and compete. I'm not the cheapest, in fact I'm quite expensive, but I try to focus on slowing things down a bit and focusing on getting the windows spotless, over time anyway. I do hold things back a bit until they become regular customers though. :D

8. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

You little scamp :laugh:

Advertisement