Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leisure battery advice ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I always think worse case what if, If I did as above and my van got robbed how many days could I manage without my van and thousands of pounds I have in my van with a fitted system etc as I won't be able to work, if the insurance company considers me so incompetent and void and cancel my policy and I can't get insured moving forward, then I lose my business that I have built over almost 20 years plus everything else comes crashing in around me, all for the sake of what ?

I always think worse case what if, If I did as above and my van got robbed how many days could I manage without my van and thousands of pounds I have in my van with a fitted system etc as I won't be able to work, if the insurance company considers me so incompetent and void and cancel my policy and I can't get insured moving forward, then I lose my business that I have built over almost 20 years plus everything else comes crashing in around me, all for the sake of what ?
If it did happen it would only really take about 3 grand and a week to get a cheap van and get it kitted out. I only have one pole in the van 99% of the time and a homemade system. Just 2 di's, tank and frame, pump, controller and hose and reel. I don't think I would loss my round while setting that up.

Not saying it wouldn't hurt but I can't go threw life thinking the worst. 

If it did happen it would only really take about 3 grand and a week to get a cheap van and get it kitted out. I only have one pole in the van 99% of the time and a homemade system. Just 2 di's, tank and frame, pump, controller and hose and reel. I don't think I would loss my round while setting that up.

Not saying it wouldn't hurt but I can't go threw life thinking the worst. 
On the whole I am a positive thinker, I simply think using common sense won't see me out if pocket, I begrudge losing £30 never mind 3k and more 

Baffled as to why you would risk the loss of your van and everything in it that earns you money, void insurance may mean you would be treated as high risk in the future or not be eligible for insurance

Mate, give me a little bit of credit. I'm not risking a thing. When I'm reeling in with my engine on I do NOT leave the van unattended and if I thought for one second there was a SLIGHT chance of someone jumping in and driving off I would never risk it. I'm right there with it as my electric hose is reeling in. Plus, I doubt someone's gonna try it with 50m of hose hanging out the back of it lol. And I have a yellow van so not exactly inconspicuous. Saying that, hope this post doesn't jinx anything!!

Mate, give me a little bit of credit. I'm not risking a thing. When I'm reeling in with my engine on I do NOT leave the van unattended and if I thought for one second there was a SLIGHT chance of someone jumping in and driving off I would never risk it. I'm right there with it as my electric hose is reeling in. Plus, I doubt someone's gonna try it with 50m of hose hanging out the back of it lol. And I have a yellow van so not exactly inconspicuous. Saying that, hope this post doesn't jinx anything!!
 I just know with myself been around the back of the van I wouldn't notice anyone, but I very easily slip into a daydream so tend not leave anything to chance ? were as some may more than others, it only takes seconds is all, I would rather someone reconsider what may happen than end up losing out is all 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hold my hands up I run the engine when reeling in and always have done as my reel is connected to the van battery.  I like to think I know what's going on around me when I'm doing it. I drive a older van so it's not too interesting to thiefs 
dont be an idiot......buy yourself a decent larger battery or have two in tandem then you wont have to do that......?

i run a 9kw diesel heater on full whack,100psi pump and electric reel all day no problem on 2 x 105ah numax batteries connected to a smart charger wired to my van battery....i never have to start the engine to reel in,plenty of power left in the batteries even after being parked up for 4 hours in a morning/afternoon.....

dont be an idiot......buy yourself a decent larger battery or have two in tandem then you wont have to do that......?

i run a 9kw diesel heater on full whack,100psi pump and electric reel all day no problem on 2 x 105ah numax batteries connected to a smart charger wired to my van battery....i never have to start the engine to reel in,plenty of power left in the batteries even after being parked up for 4 hours in a morning/afternoon.....
Idiot lol. I don't need to turn the van on to reell in I just do it cause it reel's  in faster.  I haven't charged my leisure battery in two months. I do about 150 miles a week and it keeps it charged up.

Idiot lol. I don't need to turn the van on to reell in I just do it cause it reel's  in faster.  I haven't charged my leisure battery in two months. I do about 150 miles a week and it keeps it charged up.
suit yourself do what you want.....but if your van gets nicked your insurance will be void....?......you should be able to reel in just as fast whether the engines running or not

suit yourself do what you want.....but if your van gets nicked your insurance will be void....?......you should be able to reel in just as fast whether the engines running or not
It definitely reel's in faster with the engine running.  I got a auto spark to wire it up and i think he went straight to the alternator. 

Don't worry about my van being nicked as I can get a different one and everything in it for less then your water heater cost .??

It definitely reel's in faster with the engine running.  I got a auto spark to wire it up and i think he went straight to the alternator. 

Don't worry about my van being nicked as I can get a different one and everything in it for less then your water heater cost .??

Your hose reel will run faster. A fully charged starter battery will have a voltage of around 12.8 volts. In order for the alternator to charge your battery your charge voltage must be higher. My old Citroen Relay would push a max voltage of 14.6v where my current Peugeot Boxer charges at 13.9v.

With the engine running the power supplied to the hose reel will be higher, hence a higher rpm of the drive motor on your hose reel. Without the engine running drawing 25 amps could drop the battery voltage of a good battery down a bit further than 12.8 volts.

The current hose reel conversion being done by Waterworks uses a 24v motor. Putting 12v to it reduces the speed of the motor by half and also the torque by half. It also doubles the amperage the motor draws. Adding an extra couple of volts will help the speed and torque.

The cable from my alternator goes to the starter motor and then onto the battery positive terminal. Taking a takeoff anywhere along that cable will give you the extra voltage. I fitted the split charge relay cable on my old van to the starter motor's main positive cable at the starter motor. It was like that for 5 years.

I connected the cable to my battery to battery charger for my leisure battery from the positive terminal of the vans starter battery this time.

Your hose reel will run faster. A fully charged starter battery will have a voltage of around 12.8 volts. In order for the alternator to charge your battery your charge voltage must be higher. My old Citroen Relay would push a max voltage of 14.6v where my current Peugeot Boxer charges at 13.9v.

With the engine running the power supplied to the hose reel will be higher, hence a higher rpm of the drive motor on your hose reel. Without the engine running drawing 25 amps could drop the battery voltage of a good battery down a bit further than 12.8 volts.

The current hose reel conversion being done by Waterworks uses a 24v motor. Putting 12v to it reduces the speed of the motor by half and also the torque by half. It also doubles the amperage the motor draws. Adding an extra couple of volts will help the speed and torque.

The cable from my alternator goes to the starter motor and then onto the battery positive terminal. Taking a takeoff anywhere along that cable will give you the extra voltage. I fitted the split charge relay cable on my old van to the starter motor's main positive cable at the starter motor. It was like that for 5 years.

I connected the cable to my battery to battery charger for my leisure battery from the positive terminal of the vans starter battery this time.
The reel I'm using is the old add on one you added to the reel. I've had it near two year's without any problems at all. Brilliant buy at £80 with the reel as well..lol 

Also the split works so muck better since he connected to the alternator.  In the last van I just connected it too the van battery , it did work just not as good as now.  ( mybe he has got better connections on the wires) 

Your insurer might cancel your policy if you don't stick to its terms. You'll have cover up to the date it's cancelled. Future insurers will ask if you've ever had a policy cancelled or voided before and, depending on the reason for it, they could refuse to offer you cover as well.

Insurance cancellation is something you’ll have to declare with every new insurance provider. A cancelled policy serves as a red flag and you may struggle to find a mainstream insurance provider to cover you. Alternatively, you may end up paying a lot more for your policy. 

I floored a 4 year old some weeks back with my manual reel after he decided it would be a good idea to stand on the hose whilst I was reeling it in, with an electric reel and an engine running a small child could end up getting dragged along the street ?

Your insurer might cancel your policy if you don't stick to its terms. You'll have cover up to the date it's cancelled. Future insurers will ask if you've ever had a policy cancelled or voided before and, depending on the reason for it, they could refuse to offer you cover as well.

Insurance cancellation is something you’ll have to declare with every new insurance provider. A cancelled policy serves as a red flag and you may struggle to find a mainstream insurance provider to cover you. Alternatively, you may end up paying a lot more for your policy. 

I floored a 4 year old some weeks back with my manual reel after he decided it would be a good idea to stand on the hose whilst I was reeling it in, with an electric reel and an engine running a small child could end up getting dragged along the street ?
I know I shouldn't laugh but I bet he won't stand on a hose any time soon. 

I bring the hose to the back of the van before reeling in so would see anyone standing on it. 

Back