Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

lost two befor its even started...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

36 pound for a 3 bed semi with a tiny conservatory i was there for hour and a half. its the most iv ever made by the hour

Wait till you get 2 houses next to eachother and can make £40-50 for the both - in under an hour! I wasn't expecting it the first time.. nor the 2nd.. but i got to that customer and "oh could you do my neighbours too?"

You'll get lucky with that at some point - and it's brilliant when it happens ;-)

I fully agree, problem is that when needing the money you have to put up with some things until the money starts to properly roll in.  These are on direct debit so payment side is ok.  

I'm thinking of offering a service for this type of customer that is 4 times per year but billed every month on direct debit.  So £10 per month and cleaned 3 or 4 times per year, if the gates locked or any issues like that then it's no skin off my nose as the money is paid upfront.  I think some people just don't like the shock of paying £30 or so for window cleaning and obviously there are some that don't budget their money very well so a £30 dd is something they notice.  If it was £10 per month then it seems like nothing to worry about (peanuts) but I'd be in the driving seat as the money keeps coming in automatically each month.

If you are happy to work like that and it gets you going I suppose it’s something but I wouldn’t tolerate customers like that . Ime lucky been going 20 years and don’t need the work so can and am very fussy who I take on , I like the monthly payment idear so if they say no then they have already paid for it nice one ??

Bet some will though too. When i first got into this i couldn't really see people saying yes on the doorstep to a total stranger turning up and wanting money on the spot to clean their windows... and yet they do!

My weekend job is with a national retailer. The amount i've learnt from them about customer behaviour is amazing. Always keep stock forward (so they don't have to reach to the back of the shelf to get it - cos they won't bother), tidy up the shelves every few mins cos custys will make a mess.... but also put things where custys can find them easily - eg if you're in department X, put a load of Ys on the end of the aisle right next to the Zs so the custys can find them with ease. As joe public many of us don't like that kinda cash parting encouragement but for the retailers it's crucial - and it DOES work - i've seen it. People pick something up, then notice the accessories nearby and instead of being tight they'll just pick it up and take that too.

If you make something available, there will always be someone who will find it suits their needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worryingly most of the customers i've been picking up lately are old timers and i keep thinking to myself i'm not going to have them long..

I've been mulling over trying houses out in the country but as i'm car / barrel based i can't take as much pure with me as a van operator and i can see that becoming a big issue for me.
Countryside houses can be quite lucrative, provided you stand your ground with pricing. You're right though, having enough water in a car is difficult as the houses can be large and you can be a fairly long way from your top up source. Hopefully you'll be able to carry more in time. 

When quoting a job like this if they won’t trust us with the gate code then they aren’t a customer I want or need , I would politely explain why we wouldn’t want the job , it’s ridiculous that they won’t give you the code , they have approached you to do a job for them , then they won’t give you access to the property?.. time wasters , move on I bet they would be problem payer  as well , I don’t know if Ime particularly lucky  or what but we never get the issues that most post on hear , Ime sure it’s all to do with explaining how you work what you will do for the customer and what the customer needs to do for  you , for things to run smoothly for all concerned, if I get so much as an inkling that there is going to be a problem I explain again and ask if they are happy with what I have said ,again any hesitation and I walk away , this might sound harsh but if you let the customer muck you about with not in or don’t look dirty ,leave it this time they will pick and choose when the job is done , you cannot run a buisness this way especialy when employing .  To many let the customer dictate  to them the terms and conditions , set your stall out straight from the beginning and you will rarely get these issues .
Hear hear! 

When quoting a job like this if they won’t trust us with the gate code then they aren’t a customer I want or need , I would politely explain why we wouldn’t want the job , it’s ridiculous that they won’t give you the code , they have approached you to do a job for them , then they won’t give you access to the property?.. time wasters , move on I bet they would be problem payer  as well , I don’t know if Ime particularly lucky  or what but we never get the issues that most post on hear , Ime sure it’s all to do with explaining how you work what you will do for the customer and what the customer needs to do for  you , for things to run smoothly for all concerned, if I get so much as an inkling that there is going to be a problem I explain again and ask if they are happy with what I have said ,again any hesitation and I walk away , this might sound harsh but if you let the customer muck you about with not in or don’t look dirty ,leave it this time they will pick and choose when the job is done , you cannot run a buisness this way especialy when employing .  To many let the customer dictate  to them the terms and conditions , set your stall out straight from the beginning and you will rarely get these issues .
I like the more up to date electric gates were access is gained by ringing a mobile number and then the gates open, I have one like this and it's ideal as the customer isn't usually around.

I like the more up to date electric gates were access is gained by ringing a mobile number and then the gates open, I have one like this and it's ideal as the customer isn't usually around.

I have one just the same, it works well as they are never home, I suppose it also keeps a record of who has visited that may offer extra peace of mind.

I have one just the same, it works well as they are never home, I suppose it also keeps a record of who has visited that may offer extra peace of mind.

Yes I was thinking that there must be a way of logging details, to me it seems odd that if you are wanting some one to do work for that you don't provide access and have a level of trust in some one. 

We have a digital keypad on our front and if I can't be at home when the lad comes to service the combi boiler I just tell him the code for the door, but I do trust him as I've took the time to get to know him and he has been calling for a few years now and has fitted a new boiler and radiators at different times. 

Essentially all us window cleaners are asking is reasonable access into their garden, not the keys to their house and alarm code. 

Latest Posts

Back