Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moss Treatment Prior To Cleaning?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Herm

Hi,

just quoted and won a job for a big old job that'll involve moss removal of pathways around a housing estate, I gave them the 'I don't want to do it' price and they accepted. So now it looks like I'm going to do it lol. Anyway, my question is, does anyone treat the areas before cleaning? I know how much of a ball ache it's going to be, but if anyone does treat what products would you use? I'm thought hypo, but I'd prefer something I could put down and leave for a week or so before cleaning?

Thanks

Hi,

just quoted and won a job for a big old job that'll involve moss removal of pathways around a housing estate, I gave them the 'I don't want to do it' price and they accepted. So now it looks like I'm going to do it lol. Anyway, my question is, does anyone treat the areas before cleaning? I know how much of a ball ache it's going to be, but if anyone does treat what products would you use? I'm thought hypo, but I'd prefer something I could put down and leave for a week or so before cleaning?

Thanks
@Dave B and @kevinc250 are the best ones for this , unless you just buy a professional moss killer but guess that will be expensive.

you can't buy a moss killer legally as the eu years ago classified moss as a plant, this makes something like a moss killer quite illegal to sell or use as far as i'm aware. herm, i don't think you have many choices at all, pop a biocide down and maybe have a few cats and dogs get poorly because of that and, of course the hedgehog lovers, pop hypo down and have someone with copd complain.
no photos of the job so its only guesswork about how you would tackle it. sorry i can't be of anymore help with suggestions.

Copper sulphate is an option as once dry it won’t harm anyone or animals
You have to make it fairly strong and moss will be orange by next day
I have cleaned my driveway and tarmac with it
It won’t really kill any plants but hammers the moss as it stops it taking up water

Copper sulphate is an option as once dry it won’t harm anyone or animals
You have to make it fairly strong and moss will be orange by next day
I have cleaned my driveway and tarmac with it
It won’t really kill any plants but hammers the moss as it stops it taking up water
Dave, where would you buy this and is it a liquid form or powder?

If the moss is in tarmac use a 15 deg nozzle or FSC - it will come out pretty easily
Alternative is to steam clean altho this is slightly slower unless you have a really big boiler

Concrete and brick paths hit as normal

biocide after to kill off ant remaining spores

If the moss is in tarmac use a 15 deg nozzle or FSC - it will come out pretty easily
Alternative is to steam clean altho this is slightly slower unless you have a really big boiler

Concrete and brick paths hit as normal

biocide after to kill off ant remaining spores
yes sorry, I should've clarified it's a tarmac pathway. Thanks Windy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dissolve copper sulphate powder in water until it leaves crystals in the bottom that won’t dissolve after constant shaking then you know the liquid is 20% as that is how much it will dissolve
Then dilute that liquid to 4% in another container and spray everything
If you constantly add crystals and water until it doesn’t dissolve you always have a base of 20%

maybe I'll try the vinegar trick first to see how it reacts to that. I don't want to cause more problems with myself. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi,

Thanks
Did you quote enough to hire a petrol moss removal machine? Physical removal of moss is the best method as it's easier to clean up

Dissolve copper sulphate powder in water until it leaves crystals in the bottom that won’t dissolve after constant shaking then you know the liquid is 20% as that is how much it will dissolve
Then dilute that liquid to 4% in another container and spray everything
If you constantly add crystals and water until it doesn’t dissolve you always have a base of 20%
Walter White in disguise😂

Thanks guys, there is a Brandons hire place about 20 mins from the job so it might be well worth me hiring one and giving it a go? I assume they will do a better job when the moss is dry compared to wet?

Back