Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moving to reach and wash

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That’s the point I’m making, you can do a  **** job with either if you are a cowboy. Wfp makes it so much easier to do a proper job though, so there’s no excuse.

My way of thinking mate. Shame to many don't do wfp properly. It'll be a hard sell converting a lot of mine. As long as I can perfect the art of wfp before getting out there on my traditional custys i should be fine with most. Wish I knew a good wfp windy near be that I could go out with and learn it. We sure as hell don't need more cowboys in our field

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I watched a video on youtube what they did with bird muck was covered the bird muck with water and left it afew mins to soak in then came back to it ans seemed to remove it ok . But its aways a worry as when your on the ground you dont see whats in front of you . But looking ahead the speed you can clean a house using the pole compaired to using ladders its got to be the way forward , suppose you have to factor in loosing some customers unless keep cleaning them traditional if easy enough of a job or just let them go ? 
Do the poles have a on / off switch so you dont waste loads of water
I don't mind losing some if it makes my job easier. Been picking lots of work up lately anyway

You will learn to see it.  The more you look the easier it gets.  Yes it will remove it with elbow grease.   Or if you go van mount it cost £100 to convert to hot water that will produce 70 degrees and strip it off in seconds. 
Thanks green pro. Hot waters gotta be a no brainer then. That's the main thing that's been worrying me. Btw are you doing anymore of them conference days where you show how you gain lead generation?

You need to buy a good van mount first. Hot water is an add on for later when the budget allows.

Gardiners sell a scrapper that pushes onto their Resineck. Those will work ok on some bird muck that is really stubborn.

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/brushes/brush-fittings-jets-sockets-scrapers/the-new-super-scraper-trade.html

When you rinse at height you usually create a sheet of water across the glass. Its like looking into a mirror. You can see any muck you have missed as the rinse water 'flows' around the bits.

We have been wfp for 12 years and use cold water. We haven't had many complaints. We live on the North East coast and the salt spray when the wind blows from the north is a real challenge. But we have got into the habit of checking the quality of the job before we go to the next customer.

I once helped a fellow windie who works well inland and the first thing I noticed was how much easier the job was.

Unfortunately, this job is all about attitude. Too many guys come into it thinking that a quick squirt of water and scrub is all that is needed. How fast can we clean a window equates to how fast they can clean a house. If they were the customer paying money for a 'quick as a flash' job, would they see the result as good value for money? Its the old Biblical principle; "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Last edited by a moderator:
My way of thinking mate. Shame to many don't do wfp properly. It'll be a hard sell converting a lot of mine. As long as I can perfect the art of wfp before getting out there on my traditional custys i should be fine with most. Wish I knew a good wfp windy near be that I could go out with and learn it. We sure as hell don't need more cowboys in our field

Were are you based? You should add your location in your account settings 

Bird and spider muck is no issue at all in terms of technique @Green Pro Clean Ltd has done some videos on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ9VL4EeZOBX3vgEQe5pIA/videos some good explainers 

But it ain't one size fits all with all jobs for example today I spent 5 hours on a new build estate which is still on going and these can be almost like a first clean at times due to the dust flying around I probably spent a third longer and more on each job to ensure they were 100% 

Then I went off do quiet liitle cul-de-sac in another part of town for 2-3 hours normal regular cleans that I blitzed in comparison, But I am equally as thorough and do exactly what is required to get the best results 

Its not rocket science. You can see many good YouTube videos that will give you a start. We threw ourselves in at the deep end 12 years ago when residential wfp was in its infancy.

There are a few videos where window cleaners brag on how fast they can clean a front. Forget them. You have no idea if the end result is good or not and not to be followed.

Speed will come in time. The first steps in the learning process is to get the job right.

We went wfp because son bought a round that was cleaned by glass cleaners only - frames never touched and minging - and the houses were mostly dormers.

The round was compact and we ended up doing about 6 x 3 bed houses a day. We cleaned houses twice and some windows we had to clean a third time. We had never cleaned wfp before. But we soon learnt the technique even using ali poles and heavy Vikan brushes. Each one of those houses was left spotless. Most of our new customers had never heard of washing windows with deionised water. The first day was a disaster and we had to tell customers that we didn't expect them to pay for the clean until they were happy with the result. I didn't get paid for one clean that day.

When I left for home at the end of the first day I was very dispondent. I had even considered throwing in the proverbial towel if the second day was as bad as the first day. But as I arrived on site each customer from the day before came over and paid and confirmed that we were to continue to clean their windows. Each house's windows I had cleaned that first day (I was on my own at that time) sparkled. Even I was impressed. (In fact, I was in awe at how good they looked - I had never seen a transformation like that before. It wasn't because I did it, it was how good the cleaning system was.)

That round took ages to complete but the second time around was much quicker and I doubled my work rate by the third clean. Its all about being patient. You have to think of it with the same expectations as any other new business start up. It takes months and sometimes years before the business is running at it full potential. Its the same with wfp. We can't expect to clean 20 new cleans a day and do a good job. But once you have cleaned the windows a few times then you can expect to clean 15 - 20 a day and do a good job.

But trying to do 50 a day will mean that the job isn't being done properly IMHO.

I had a lad help me out last week, he had been window cleaning for 30 years.

I subbed him a days work, when i checked back on the work he had done 5 out of the 20 had complained to me about missing doors, missing sills, spots.

My only point is you can do a great job or a poor job with the water fed pole, its always the users fault never the system.

Also i think a lot of the speed comes as you get to know your round and your particular windows, from parking the van in the right spot to getting in the right position to clean that awkward one and rinsing on the glass where possible. All small details that add up over the day. Its not as easy to say do it this way or that, but to know the houses and windows which you actually clean and get effiicent at clenaing those.

Its not rocket science. You can see many good YouTube videos that will give you a start. We threw ourselves in at the deep end 12 years ago when residential wfp was in its infancy.

There are a few videos where window cleaners brag on how fast they can clean a front. Forget them. You have no idea if the end result is good or not and not to be followed.

Speed will come in time. The first steps in the learning process is to get the job right.

We went wfp because son bought a round that was cleaned by glass cleaners only - frames never touched and minging - and the houses were mostly dormers.

The round was compact and we ended up doing about 6 x 3 bed houses a day. We cleaned houses twice and some windows we had to clean a third time. We had never cleaned wfp before. But we soon learnt the technique even using ali poles and heavy Vikan brushes. Each one of those houses was left spotless. Most of our new customers had never heard of washing windows with deionised water. The first day was a disaster and we had to tell customers that we didn't expect them to pay for the clean until they were happy with the result. I didn't get paid for one clean that day.

When I left for home at the end of the first day I was very dispondent. I had even considered throwing in the proverbial towel if the second day was as bad as the first day. But as I arrived on site each customer from the day before came over and paid and confirmed that we were to continue to clean their windows. Each house's windows I had cleaned that first day (I was on my own at that time) sparkled. Even I was impressed. (In fact, I was in awe at how good they looked - I had never seen a transformation like that before. It wasn't because I did it, it was how good the cleaning system was.)

That round took ages to complete but the second time around was much quicker and I doubled my work rate by the third clean. Its all about being patient. You have to think of it with the same expectations as any other new business start up. It takes months and sometimes years before the business is running at it full potential. Its the same with wfp. We can't expect to clean 20 new cleans a day and do a good job. But once you have cleaned the windows a few times then you can expect to clean 15 - 20 a day and do a good job.

But trying to do 50 a day will mean that the job isn't being done properly IMHO.
But...with the information available today you can expect to learn much quicker than when there was no help/advice around.

As already mentioned to a point you have to fully accept that converting your rounds will take a long time a first clean will take 2-3 longer than a regular clean to get the very best results, I see lads that don't know the difference between a first clean or a regular clean and treat them both the same in fact they don't know a decent clean and have somehow managed to continue like this for years but their prices are low. 

I have no doubt we have all wanted to chuck it all in at some point in the early switch over from trad to wfp, I know I did after getting a few complaints here and there early on and wondered why on earth I had spent over 1k on this new gear only to fail on some jobs, But over 10 years ago their wasn't any youtube videos and most of us were learning on the job as we went along and on a forum were we were as clueless as each other. 

As already mentioned to a point you have to fully accept that converting your rounds will take a long time a first clean will take 2-3 longer than a regular clean to get the very best results, I see lads that don't know the difference between a first clean or a regular clean and treat them both the same in fact they don't know a decent clean and have somehow managed to continue like this for years but their prices are low. 

I have no doubt we have all wanted to chuck it all in at some point in the early switch over from trad to wfp, I know I did after getting a few complaints here and there early on and wondered why on earth I had spent over 1k on this new gear only to fail on some jobs, But over 10 years ago their wasn't any youtube videos and most of us were learning on the job as we went along and on a forum were we were as clueless as each other. 

That's ever so true. It was the 'blind leading the blind'. Added to which our equipment was the pits. I tried to use my old Unger Teleplus pole with a Vikan brush on it a while back as we used to use and failed. (We have much to be grateful for for @Alex Gardinermaking carbon poles affordable to us plebs - me in particular.)

There are plenty of video's now, you just have to be selective as some making these videos are have another agenda and aren't really genuinely informative.

Sorry @spruce  :1f61e:

J/K - I know mine are pure Public Information Broadcast!  :1f602: :1f602:

Pure waffle more like!!  :1f644:
I don't mean you! ?

I have found your videos to be very informative and helpful to a new starter. If you look carefully, there are always little titbits of information that we can all learn from no matter how long we have been window cleaning.

The only criticism I have with your videos is that your language is sometimes a little colourful. An example is the video you put up today. If the customer happens to watch it, how will it affect your reputation? I always maintain that the image you portray has to be squeeky clean when you open yourself up to the general public even if you feel totally the opposite inside.

Here is an example of a video I don't think much of.

His technique is terrible and he isn't embarrassed letting others see it. Notice how he catches the brickwork with his brush when lowering the pole and then just carries on cleaning the lower window.

Running the hose outside the pole just doesn't look professional IMO. And then Luke the window cleaner responds - cool video man.

1 hour ago, spruce said:

I don't mean you! ?

I have found your videos to be very informative and helpful to a new starter. If you look carefully, there are always little titbits of information that we can all learn from no matter how long we have been window cleaning.

The only criticism I have with your videos is that your language is sometimes a little colourful. An example is the video you put up today. If the customer happens to watch it, how will it affect your reputation? I always maintain that the image you portray has to be squeeky clean when you open yourself up to the general public even if you feel totally the opposite inside.

Terrible technique, Plus he kept his dog waiting 

3 hours ago, spruce said:

I don't mean you! ?

Greens channel island accent sounds a bit American in that video ?

Back