My website

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Paul, Mar 20, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

Ok I got this free website and free domain name about 5 days ago, so I've started building it I know it's very basic (it's free) but I was hoping you guys can have a look see how it looks, I'm totally new to this so havnt really a clue what I'm doing.

Www.bordercity-windowcleaning.co.uk

Please be honest I need input from people who know what they are talking about.

Cheers
    Paul

Advertisement
  2. James

James Guru

Very smart Paul, 20% discount to ex soldiers, very generous. I can see a fee punctual mistakes on the about us page. Also it says on there 'cleaning windows for sometime, id be more specific and give a time period, looks more professional! But it looks very tidy.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bhgime

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Cheers james, punctuality isn't one of my strongest points :-/ , Is there loads? could you point them out when you get a min if it's not to much hassle.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hi5xl3

4. James

James Guru

I will do Paul, just setting off now to do today's round, but when I get in I'll sort it for you on my computer.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kcbqfl

5. Paul

Paul Guest

Cheers bud your a star. [hr]
    I suppose it's ok for free, also tried a bit of amature SEO I've got my site to page 4 on google for my local area so far. (not bad for a few days work I think)
    what type of keyword should I put in there and page descriptions aswell. [hr]
    I would of gone down the pay a pro to do it route but I've got other things to spend money on at the min, so I want to make the best of what I've got.
    Also I've put a 20% discount for soldiers because it's something really close to me and doing the job before and knowing what they do I think they deserve it and alot more IMO

6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Hey Paulrods, i'm in the unenviable position of being forced to take another day off due to van issues, so i've been having a look at your site. Here are some issues i have noticed.

1, homepage;
    It says, '....with a team that has been doing window cleaning, for many years.'
    I would say have it say, '....with a team which has been cleaning windows for ..... years' (insert the actual number of years).

It says, 'We use our own water supply, not our clients'.
    I would have it say, 'We carry our own water' (if you use your own water, you obviously are not using your clients, so no need to add that).

It says, 'Whats more is that we offer a price guarantee!'.
    I would have it simply say, 'We offer a price guarantee!'

2, about us;
    it says, '....local cumbrian business and have been cleaning windows in the domestic and commercial market for sometime;'.
    I would have it say, '....local cumbrian business which has been cleaning windows in the domestic and commercial market for ..... years.' (insert the actual number of years)

It says, 'It is sometimes time consuming to cleaning your property or business windows yourself. A better alternative is to have them professionally cleaned by a local independantly run company like border city.'
    I would have it say, 'It is time consuming to clean your own windows, so why not have border city clean them professionally for you?'.

It says, 'Our customer retention is second to none because because of our......'
    I would have it say, 'Our customer retention is second to none, due to our.......'

3, Health & safety;
    It says, 'It is now illegal to work off a ladder at heights in excess of 29 feet and liability for any injuries lies with the building owner/manager'.
    I would have any height information in meters, with feet in brackets. Plus, it should say, 'work on a ladder', not 'off'. Also, i dont understand the second part of the sentance. You have already stated that it is illegal for you, a window cleaner, to be working above 29 feet, so why would the building owner/manager be liable for you sustaining injury whilst doing something illegal?. Having said that, i dont think you need to have on your website whether or not it is illegal to work above a certain height, that isnt your customer's problem, it is up to you to decide whether or not you can take on a job.

4, testimonials;
    Personally, i would only put 1st names on here.

It may seem like i have picked a lot of holes!, but overall, it looks good, just a little tweaking required. Oh, and much respect for offering discount current and ex soldiers!. :)

7. Paul

Paul Guest

Thanks very much for that BB they do sound a lot better and make loads more sense, Im going to change it later today.

Thats what I want I want holes to be picked I knew I wouldn't get it rite first time, only last week I didn't know how to buy a domane name. Cheers bud

8. James

James Guru

Well he's done my job for me pretty much ;)

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jfxq1k

9. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Something else i was thinking about Paulrods, more out of curiousity than anything else!. Your discount for soldiers, how would you make sure they are, or were, soldiers?. I know it sounds unthinkable to you and me, but i am fairly sure there are scumbags out there who would happily try to exploit the discount by saying they had been a soldier. Also, is it just soldiers?, or any of the armed forces?.

10. Paul

Paul Guest

Any service or ex service, I never really thought about that BB :-/

Advertisement