Nearly made a real prat of myself

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by mrtaytay, Jan 22, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I so nearly embarressed myself on Monday:

I have a massive mansion type property that I clean. Most of the bedrooms have old stone balcony`s....a bit like those you see at Buck Palace. They are very high as well. This means that I have to lean my ladder against the balcony then climb over the balcony to get to the windows. Normally not a problem.

Well, on Monday it was a damp foggy day and I wasnt to happy with the ground...it felt slightly slippy. For this reason, I positioned my ladder against the first balcony much more vertically than I would normally have done (to ease the risk of slipping). For some reason, I didnt raise the top of my ladder much higher than the top of the balcony. Well!!...i was fine climbing over the balcony and cleaning the windows, but getting back on the ladder to get down was a nightmare. It was too vertical and i couldnt hold onto the top of the ladder because it was at the same level as the top of the balcony. What a fool!!. I made several attempts but couldnt get onto the ladder. I got a little bit panicky which made matters worse. No one was around to help. I even contemplated calling the fire service! What an idiot I would have looked. I saw the postman down the lane and nearly shouted for his assistance. I must have been up there for 30 minutes before I finally got myself onto the ladder and back down. It could have gone badly wrong! My life was certainly flashing before me as I kept attempting to get back on the ladder.

A very scary lesson!

Advertisement
  2. norm

norm Grand Master

alls well that ends well :eek:

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

LOL, I've had a similar experience. Now I make sure I raise the ladder much higher so I can easily get on and off any balcony or railings etc.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Yep we have all experience that I'm up shite creek without a paddle moment.
    Now apart from setting the ladder higher what else have you learnt from that?

5. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Put it at a better angle?.
    Maybe, dont even do the window if you are worried about the floor being slightly slippy. Should never take risks.

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I got stuck up on an unrailed balcony once on a massive place out in the country. The ladder blew down in a gust of wind and all I could do was shout for help. I now have a bungee cord wrapped round a couple of rungs, just in case I need to secure it.

What a plonker.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

We all want to earn a few bucks but also sometimes can take unnecessary risks to do so. As that you are well aware that could have been a catastrophic mistake you made but was more luck than judgment you got down ok in the end... Thank god
    With that type of work I would highly recommend you get an ankalad fixed to your ladder so when the outriggers are deployed properly you know the ladder is not going to go anywhere. I would have also used a mircrolite standoff myself at the top of the ladder set 3 rungs down that could be position to rest on top of the stone balcony wall if was safe to do so.

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Help help...think it has happened to the bet of us tuffers :D

9. Andy

Andy Forum Addict

smurf its andy from a t window cleaning. mrtaytay i got the ankalad and micro stand off on smurfs advice got a 8mt ladder ankalad and the stand off on ebay got the lot for £105.00 best bits of kit iv bought. No point earning a s--t load of money and die for you can spend it.

10. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Hi Andy, you got a great bargain there bud...nice one ;)

I've found the most dangerous thing you can do on a ladder that's not stabilised properly to stop it moving is to step on and off it at the top.

Advertisement