Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need something more reliable than backpack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

All of the backpacks on the market just look like cheap Chinese tat that will give me the same issues
I just want to correct myself on this. Having opened the backpack up and seen the parts inside, coupled with the fact its all put together ready to use and comes with a warranty from a reputable supplier I think I was wrong here. The parts to build a window cleaning trolley wouldn't be as high quality and would cost only a fraction less than a backpack does.

Thanks to @Alex Gardiner for sending out the parts as offered earlier in the thread. I know they aren't expensive bits but without your kind offer I wouldn't have ordered them until I next place an order. Thankfully my backpack is now back to 100% functionality.

A backpack is just like a van mount in that it's a pump a d a battery, some wires and a switch or two in a plastic casing.
Opened mine yesterday, really easy to get into. Everything is relatively simple to access. It would appear the switch wasn't the issue stopping it from working (Although it did need replacing) but the wire to the negative terminal had snapped off. I haven't used a soldering iron since I was at school but even I managed it.

i must admit backpacks have got me out of a tight spot in the past when ive had various van breakdowns etc and allowed me to keep on working albeit on a limited basis.....
Me too. When my van broke last year I just loaded the car with a backpack and some water containers and carried on. In retrospect the title of the post should have been ''Need something more hardwearing than a backpack'' or ''something that carries more water''.

I am going to go ahead with a trolley build. For £120-130 it would be useful. With a trolley system you can carry 50 litres of water, this will be handy for the back of some of the properties I have. If I have 3 or 4 houses in a row I could get through them with 50 litres and leave the van locked at the front. It also removes the need to wind in loads of hose. It would also be good to just chuck some pre-mixed chemicals on a trolley instead of worrying about rinsing out etc.

Ive just gotta defend the humble backpack. Ive got a gardiners, and it has kept giving, through thick and thin, ice and snow, enemy fire everywhere etc etc. Well, getting a bit carried away, but seriously its got me through many a day when the damn airlock problem on the van mount recurs. Would obviously not be so ideal on large jobs, and I am only part time at the moment, but its saved my day often. Cant help thinking though that theres gonna be a great new item in the future. What about a kind of old peoples mobility vehicle, with wfp attachment and good water capacity? just ride it off the back of the van? Im laughing but who knows   :coffee:
You mean like this bad boy............... you can ‘ride’ it but it’s a bit fast and unsteady. I’ve installed a tow bar to it just in case I need to add any other accessories!

D1C8C55E-F2DD-4C89-A5A3-A73A705E3F03.jpeg

F795B031-54FD-4978-9DE3-A854F8B4E530.jpeg

Thats a wicked looking beast allright, well handy, especially in certain areas. That would fit in back of a van too, take it up ramps and on ya go.
i cant think of anything worse than a large trolley!?...keep it simple....how many jobs cant you get to with hose from your van mount?me?NOT ONE SINGLE JOB!

it must be hard to push that up kerbs,etc too...it was bad enough when i had to lug a PF 50L trolley about when i first went wfp nearly 9 years ago now.....

i cant think of anything worse than a large trolley!?...keep it simple....how many jobs cant you get to with hose from your van mount?me?NOT ONE SINGLE JOB!

it must be hard to push that up kerbs,etc too...it was bad enough when i had to lug a PF 50L trolley about when i first went wfp nearly 9 years ago now.....
if its motorised will be ok. it wouldnt work on my round but i imagine some rounds would work out well.

Thats a wicked looking beast allright, well handy, especially in certain areas. That would fit in back of a van too, take it up ramps and on ya go.
The plan was to take it to a central area and leave the van in one place, I just use it around my local area now as the parking restrictions around my house are ridiculous - the joys of lives no next to a school with a one way system and double yellows everywhere

if its motorised will be ok. it wouldnt work on my round but i imagine some rounds would work out well.
Of course it’s motorised!!!!! 6-8mile range at approx 6mph. I don’t use it to its full potential but it gives my van a week off once a month

The plan was to take it to a central area and leave the van in one place, I just use it around my local area now as the parking restrictions around my house are ridiculous - the joys of lives no next to a school with a one way system and double yellows everywhere

Of course it’s motorised!!!!! 6-8mile range at approx 6mph. I don’t use it to its full potential but it gives my van a week off once a month
Excellent. Ive seen areas where it would be ideal, you know, where you couldnt park if you wanted to. As these are probably areas a lot of windies might turn down then it will come into its own.

That's what i'm talking about, perhaps without the RO. Where's it from mate? I can't find anything similar anywhere.
I think Ionics made it. I’d designed one with the idea of using golf buggy motors but could’nt for the life of me calculate what kind of weight they would pull, how many I’d need and what range I’d get out of a decent sized battery bank. I started looking at electric carts and pallet trucks and stumbled upon this one - made for the job and fit for purpose. I hate to think how much it cost new as the trolley on its own is about £8k. I was going to get a custom tank made and buy the trolley on its own (around £2k second hand) but this turned up just at the right time. If I keep it I’ll remove the filters and put baffles in the tank (or fit a custom tank on top). But for red routes an restricted areas its a perfect tool.

I think Ionics made it. I’d designed one with the idea of using golf buggy motors but could’nt for the life of me calculate what kind of weight they would pull, how many I’d need and what range I’d get out of a decent sized battery bank. I started looking at electric carts and pallet trucks and stumbled upon this one - made for the job and fit for purpose. I hate to think how much it cost new as the trolley on its own is about £8k. I was going to get a custom tank made and buy the trolley on its own (around £2k second hand) but this turned up just at the right time. If I keep it I’ll remove the filters and put baffles in the tank (or fit a custom tank on top). But for red routes an restricted areas its a perfect tool.
Can't imagine a golf buggy type motor would carry as much as you have there. That thing is awesome, very very impressed.

I think I just need to bring myself back down to earth a bit and look at a manual truck, that should do trick with a similar design to yours. 100ish litres would be plenty for what i'm planning I reckon. In the meantime i'm glad to have my Gardiner backpack working again ?

Back