Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New boots suggestions?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I googled ‘best water proof boots’ the other week, and on several unofficial lists this pair of timberlands (can’t be bothered to link) came up in 1st, 2nd & 3rd in all the lists. They are £130 but had 20% off (so £104) on Black Friday last week. Look very smart as well. 

For years I've gone with Goretex lined trail trainers/low boots. Most brands, Salomon, Merrell, Keen etc. They're all great for one winter but always leak for winter 2. I'm pretty sure the Goretex lining breaks down. All of them are close to £100 and this year I thought I'd try something different.

Bought these boots from a company called Herring. They supply lots of high end, English, hand made shoes (Loake, Cheaney, Church etc). When the Covid struck 50% off for NHS staff, quick email to customer services and I swung the offer for fire service also. 

Calf leather, leather inner liner, leather insole, Goodyear welted so the sole can be changed. So far brilliant. Keep treating them to Grainger's wax and regular polishing. Look smart, dry and very comfortable.

IMG_20201204_083530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always sworn by british army ecw boots but bought these riggers from screwfix yesterday and can't fault them.

They are the low cut ones so not too far up your leg like wellies would be.

Very good warm lining and had toastie feet all day even though it was still -3° at 10am.

I've  tried a lot more expensive riggers in the past that have not been as good.

Proper material lining instead of the usual faux fur lining.

35 quid at the mo.

Screenshot_20201208-162527_WhatsAppBusiness.jpg

I've always sworn by british army ecw boots but bought these riggers from screwfix yesterday and can't fault them.

Very good warm lining and had toastie feet all day even though it was still -3° at 10am.

I've  tried a lot more expensive riggers in the past that have not been as good.

35 quid at the mo.

View attachment 22700
Are they steel top cap ?

Yes but the lining stops the toecap drawing heat out your toes.
Yeah fair enough. I’ve had a pair of the older screwfix rigger boots for about 3 years. I just use them on gutter & fascia cleans & hypo jobs. But they’ve come to an end. So will take your advice and get a pair. 

I tried a couple of riggers but found them heavy due to the toe cap, which I don’t need, but the biggest issue that they weren’t flexible enough to drive in.

Yeah fair enough. I’ve had a pair of the older screwfix rigger boots for about 3 years. I just use them on gutter & fascia cleans & hypo jobs. But they’ve come to an end. So will take your advice and get a pair. 
They are the ones called hydroguard.

No need to go a size bigger either as even with boot socks they fit fine.

I tried a couple of riggers but found them heavy due to the toe cap, which I don’t need, but the biggest issue that they weren’t flexible enough to drive in.
I had that issue before but these are lower cut.

Only come halfway up your lower leg

35 quid at the mo.

View attachment 22700
Look a bit like these 

maxresdefault.jpg

Still can't beat British army extreme cold weather boots.

Proper leather but goretex lined and still cool in summer.

Us ex squaddies use them for a reason.
After getting a set of RAF waterproof trousers and jacket and being so impressed with how well they hold up against the elements, I've just bought a pair of these boots.

I have been using LOWA's but found them extremely uncomfortable, which is disappointing for a £170 pair of boots, I won't be buying another pair.

Last edited by a moderator:

35 quid at the mo.

View attachment 22700
Cheers Dave, mine were £34.99 ?

Back