Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New house because pole cant get into windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yogi1872

Picked up a new house there when the neighbour seen me using the ladder, I use the ladder at the house because the pole can't get through the bars to do one of the main windows, instead of mucking about getting both out I do it all with a ladder.

He said his window cleaner said we cant use ladders anymore so he just wets the window. Told him he's right in a way as if any damage got done my insurance wouldn't cover it so it is a risk. What do people do in this situation ? Would it not make more sense to get a ladder off for for 1 window rather than loose the house ?. Or do you take that guys approach and just say you can't do it. Im thinking it's maybe someone new ad I didn't regonise the name, maybe he's never used a ladder and wouldn't go up one.

Personally I would tell the customer I can't do that window but I can quote for the rest if they want.

I don't carry ladders, I don't believe it's worth an extra £1 or £2 to go up a ladder - I know people are experienced and know what they are doing but it just takes 1 over reach or slip and you could be in hospital or worse.

Personally I would tell the customer I can't do that window but I can quote for the rest if they want.

I don't carry ladders, I don't believe it's worth an extra £1 or £2 to go up a ladder - I know people are experienced and know what they are doing but it just takes 1 over reach or slip and you could be in hospital or worse.

It's about 8 rungs up, I'm 6ft2 so if you were smaller it could be one or 2 more. In about 20 years I've never fallen from a ladder, when working for a company and I used to say unless that windows footed I'm not going up it, some people used to see it as a badge of honour saying look it doesn't need footed. A few of them have had some falls, one still walks with a limp because of it. For something 8 rungs up on grass though I don't see the logic in loosing it because of that.

Some window cleaners I've spoken too look offended as if going up a ladder means instant death. I said to one guy over stating it like that makes you look a bit daft when it wasn't a problem for you the 12 years previous. Told him to maybe try word it different. Tell them your quite willing to do them but they will have to sign a waiver saying your not liable for any damage if the ladder there car etc as insurance won't cover it. Seen him some time after and he says he still says that even now and no one has took him up on the offer.

Picked up a new house there when the neighbour seen me using the ladder, I use the ladder at the house because the pole can't get through the bars to do one of the main windows, instead of mucking about getting both out I do it all with a ladder.

He said his window cleaner said we cant use ladders anymore so he just wets the window. Told him he's right in a way as if any damage got done my insurance wouldn't cover it so it is a risk. What do people do in this situation ? Would it not make more sense to get a ladder off for for 1 window rather than loose the house ?. Or do you take that guys approach and just say you can't do it. Im thinking it's maybe someone new ad I didn't regonise the name, maybe he's never used a ladder and wouldn't go up one.
I've been wondering this, a lot of new builds near me have Juliet balconies meaning my brush won't touch any of the windows/doors on a full floor of the house. Always thought how would I even do this haha

With a Gardiner pole and gooseneck you can detatch the brush and reattach it so that the length of the brush is vertical, which may make it easier to clean a window with vertical bars. Not sure about other makes of pole.

Tbh if it could be done by brush it would be an absolute nightmare, the gaps are smaller than what they normally are. I do some windows with the pole which has bars. Has anyone ever snapped there brush while trying to get the windows through bars ? It has to have happened to someone.

Quite agree with @steve garwood , try and avoid pita jobs like this most railing balconies can be done by putting the brush through the railings the problems arise when there is cross bars or it’s solid glass balustrade , we either don't do that section of the window/door or turn the job down , we have just turned down a block of 120 flats 4 storey high due to every flat having solid glass balustrade they wanted us to go into every flat and do the doors my hand , not a chance ????

Quite agree with @steve garwood , try and avoid pita jobs like this most railing balconies can be done by putting the brush through the railings the problems arise when there is cross bars or it’s solid glass balustrade , we either don't do that section of the window/door or turn the job down , we have just turned down a block of 120 flats 4 storey high due to every flat having solid glass balustrade they wanted us to go into every flat and do the doors my hand , not a chance ????
£20 a flat or we'll just do what we can with a pole and charge £10. Easy £1200 for 2 men or £2400 for 3

Couldn’t be bothered threading a brush through. I’d replace it with an easier customer
It's very easy to do once you have perfected the technique no more effort is required than doing a set of patio doors on the ground floor, I do quite a few and have done for around 10 years now

They were insisting that the balconies were done , ime certainly not going into 120 flats can you imagine the issues trying to do that , not in , still in bed come back later etc no thanks ????
Part of the quote is if you can't get access you can't do them. Pre covid we did patio doors on outside balconies where you had to go through the flat. 95% of people were either not in or declined us doing them. We were still paid, it really isn't anywhere near as complicated as you are portraying.

It's very easy to do once you have perfected the technique no more effort is required than doing a set of patio doors on the ground floor, I do quite a few and have done for around 10 years now
Been WFP for around 15 years now so am quite capable of cleaning them.
Just streamlining the business to be as easy as possible ?

Been WFP for around 15 years now so am quite capable of cleaning them.
Just streamlining the business to be as easy as possible ?
My jobs with these railings are good jobs within compact runs, down over 20 jobs this year but up regarding turnover with price increases,

so now got more time to do more of what I want at my own pace, walked part of the Coast to Coast the other week, never saw another single person for hours, pure bliss

Attachments

• PXL_20230429_095243203.jpg
    PXL_20230429_095243203.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230429_101627575.jpg
    PXL_20230429_101627575.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230429_110955543.jpg
    PXL_20230429_110955543.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 8
I only have a few windows on my whole round with these juliet balconies.i just clean what I can and just rinse the best I can through the bars.sod getting ladders off....

I don't have a single job that requires ladders for access to a window now.ive got rid of them all.

Remember it doesn't matter how experienced your are on ladders.one slip and you could be in serious trouble.

A window cleaner I know who I worked with back in 1992 fell off his before xmas(40 years experience)and is in a very bad way...broken pelvis,collar bone,fractured skull,bleed on the brain and damaged vertebrae in his back....

Part of the quote is if you can't get access you can't do them. Pre covid we did patio doors on outside balconies where you had to go through the flat. 95% of people were either not in or declined us doing them. We were still paid, it really isn't anywhere near as complicated as you are portraying.
Problem is it only takes one person to complain that they haven’t been done then we are in the wrong as the contract states all windows including balcony’s to be cleaned , we are busy enough without taking on this type of work .

Problem is it only takes one person to complain that they haven’t been done then we are in the wrong as the contract states all windows including balcony’s to be cleaned , we are busy enough without taking on this type of work .
I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the PM Company, if we tell them we were there and couldn't get access they back us 100% so don't need to go back.

I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the PM Company, if we tell them we were there and couldn't get access they back us 100% so don't need to go back.
The problem is with the wording in the contract it stated all windows must be cleaned each visit ,so no get out clause if they aren’t in or not convenient or come back later , if they then complain we would be in breach of the terms we have agreed to .

Back