Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie looking to start a new business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Andy Hill

Your Real Name: Andy Hill 

The Location You're In: Derby

How Long You Have Been Cleaning: Newbie

Brief intro about yourself:

20 years+ as a manager in manufacturing and it's time for something better! KPI's, meetings for meetings sake and corporate nonsense are but some of reasons for a fresh start and to do things more on my terms.

Am considering starting up an all in one exterior cleaning service. So windows, gutters, fascias, soffits, downpipes, etc. Potentially look to spend half a day per house/job to transform the whole of the outside with some attention to detail. Even down to polishing the sky dish!! Whatever the client desires. Whether for sale, potential letting, new builds once the site is complete or simply to revamp an unloved home. 

I believe there's a market for this. People use a window cleaner, a gutter cleaner, buy a pressure washer and so on. With the right kit I can come and do the whole lot in a few hours and potentially save/make the client time and money. 

Have read much of the forum content and it's great you guys are so helpful with what you share. 

I would really appreciate some feedback to my proposed business idea.

Thanks for reading

Andy

Hi @Andy Hill I am the official meet and greeter, feels like it anyway these last few days ?, Your business idea sounds a good one but you need to not to have all your eggs in one basket, Yes you can offer all those services but it's finding the right amount of clients on a regular basis  to ensure a decent wage you may find you need to break it down into separate services rather than an all-out service. 

So have a decent amount of regular window cleaning clients so you have decent guaranteed wage each week/month and then your bigger add-on jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Andy , I cant see you getting enough clients on a regular basis for this type of work you need to separate you work 

Windows, windows, and then windows.  Once you are chocca with a good strong window round then you have an instant base of customers to ask if they want another service.  

It can be done, but you're trying to offer a all in one from the word go where what you need is a stable repeat round first and grow from that. 

You have Teaboy to the South and me to the North so watch whos toes you're treading on!!  

Just kidding mate, plenty to go round so welcome!  ?

Firstly, thank you. Really appreciate the time taken to respond. The advice, guidance and direction you've all offered is exactly what I was after. And I completely get the aspect of building up a core business first. And I'll certainly take it on board. 

I do have, or would like to think I have, a decent position from where to start. I work continental shifts and so get 4 days off each working week. I'm married with a couple of little ones and also like to live but I don't see any issue time wise in trying to build the beginnings of something before I jump ship. My family understand where I'm at with work and that I need to facilitate a change. We're a bit old school and my wife has had nearly 10 years out of work being a stay at home Mum. So there's some pressure on me. So if I'm gonna make this change I need to make it work. Especially as I've been at the same company for 20+ years and it's as close to a job for life as you're gonna find today. And so again really appreciate your advice. Don't wanna do this and mess up! Particularly as I'm in a decent position now. 

And also really appreciate the offer of meeting for a chat! Coffee will be on me! I'll be in touch. I'm unlikely to do anything with this for the next month or two. But will certainly be looking to get something started. I've had an extension and messed up by getting a builder in rather than do it myself! Had to fire him off a few weeks ago so I'm doing it myself anyway! But once life is straight again I'll be on this. Likely try and meet for that chat Teaboy sooner rather than later. 

Thanks again fellas.

Back