Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No water nightmare

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You must be storing harvested rain water so you must have space to add an r/o to the storage tank.
When we first moved into our house we didn't have an outside tap either. I fitted one by taking a supply from the cold water supply to the bath. (We have a dormer with a downstairs bathroom and toilet.) My first r/o was a RoMan 275LPD which was positioned at the back door near the tap. The waste went to the bathroom drain. During the freezing winters the r/o was inside on the kitchen sink. As it used to work all night there was no problem with the membranes freezing up.

Since then I joined a feed from the pipe to the downstairs toilet into the garage which share a wall. The r/o is now in a cabinet on the garage wall inside that is heated by a tube heater which keeps the temperature inside the cabinet at 8 degrees.

There is an example of one of the members on this forum who made a wooden insulated cabinet to fit on an outside wall on his house. Its on YouTube somewhere.

99.9% of outside taps are taken from the supply of cold water in the kitchen. The washing machine will have a supply as will the dishwasher and the cold water tap to the sink.

Grippatank supply a cabinet that I'm sure could also be adapted to fit on an outside wall with an r/o inside. They heat this with a 12 volt system, but I'm sure they will sell you an 'empty' cabinet which you can fir a tube heater and froststat to.
Our garden is across the road and that's where I harvest rainwater. The issue is that I'm running out of rainwater and it hasn't rained.

And outside tap isn't an option as it's a listed building.

Thanks for your reply though.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if it's a listed building, surely there is/was an outhouse at some point, which would have a supply? If you do and it's connected to the mains, then your laughing, fit tap and your away

if it's a listed building, surely there is/was an outhouse at some point, which would have a supply? If you do and it's connected to the mains, then your laughing, fit tap and your away
Don't want to sound awkward but again it's a no.....we're on a corner with a main road one side, a road out the front door, a house attached next door and a house attached behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our garden is across the road and that's where I harvest rainwater. The issue is that I'm running out of rainwater and it hasn't rained.And outside tap isn't an option as it's a listed building.

Thanks for your reply though.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is recommended that your first port of call is your local planning authority and ask the question.

Where does the water in the house come from? Do you have your own supply? Are you able to find the supply pipe underground? There is nothing stopping you putting a 'standup' with a tap in the garden with a proper isolator valve, is there?

Before you go further you need to sort out the water supply issue and then test your tap water with a genuine tds meter to see if you need an r/o or whether you can process water through di only.

Where do you park your vehicle?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is recommended that your first port of call is your local planning authority and ask the question.
Where does the water in the house come from? Do you have your own supply? Are you able to find the supply pipe underground? There is nothing stopping you putting a 'standup' with a tap in the garden with a proper isolator valve, is there?

Before you go further you need to sort out the water supply issue and then test your tap water with a genuine tds meter to see if you need an r/o or whether you can process water through di only.

Where do you park your vehicle?

The supply comes from across the road in the garden. Not sure what the correct terminology is but it's a hole in the ground with a tap of some sort. Well that's the big question I suppose isn't it? What is stopping me? Would the council/water supplier get wind of it and fine me or am I allowed to tap into it and use it?

I have a meter and my TDS is 250 from the tap.

I park my vehicle across the road in a shared car park that my garden is attached to.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just got off the phone to our water supplier. As the supply across the road is before the meter (at the house) they'd need to fit a new supply....upwards of £1000.

So I'm left with either:

a) Fill up the tank outside the house with just tap water then somehow filter it inside the van

b) Fill up the tank outside the house but through the RO but this will obviously take a long time and I can't park the van there for long.

c) Run a hose from the kitchen tap across the road to a tank in the garden and somehow run it through an RO to the van - not sure on this as RO runs simply on pressure

d) Depending on how long the RO takes to produce, run a hose from house to van across road through the RO meaning hose will be attached to kitchen tap and laid across the road for an extended period of time!

So far these are the only options I can think of. If anyone thinks one of these might work please help! Or if anyone has any other ideas in all ears [emoji1358]

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The supply comes from across the road in the garden. Not sure what the correct terminology is but it's a hole in the ground with a tap of some sort. Well that's the big question I suppose isn't it? What is stopping me? Would the council/water supplier get wind of it and fine me or am I allowed to tap into it and use it?
I have a meter and my TDS is 250 from the tap.

I park my vehicle across the road in a shared car park that my garden is attached to.

Generally the water supply at the stopcock and water meter belongs to the Water Authority. Our stopcock is on the pavement outside our boundary. We had a letter come round from the Water Board a number of years ago selling water pipe repairs at a monthly rate. They added a picture which stated that the home owner is responsible for repairs to his supply from the stopcock into the house.

A subsequent letter showed that the Water board was responsible for the repairs up to the boundary of our property in the street. Everything from the boundary was our responsibility.

If the supply from your water meter is on your property then you are able to take a supply from after it. My son has a house that has a supply to the house and one that branches off the supply to the outhouse. The pipe work is Tee'd off underground before it goes into the house. All the properties in the area are the same. (So the supply to the outhouse isn't switched off at the mains under the kitchen sink.)

What you need is an r/o as your water tds is high. You are better having an r/o in your garden as it would be more convenient filling your vehicle from there.

What about getting an RO 4040 fitted in the van? Some of these can produce 400 to 500 ltrs of water in 1 1/2 hrs, rather than the usual 12-15 hrs a 300 gpd RO would take. So all you would have to do is hook up a hosepipe to the RO in the van from your inside tap for an hour half. Is that feasible? Other than that it sounds like quite a tricky one.

Generally the water supply at the stopcock and water meter belongs to the Water Authority. Our stopcock is on the pavement outside our boundary. We had a letter come round from the Water Board a number of years ago selling water pipe repairs at a monthly rate. They added a picture which stated that the home owner is responsible for repairs to his supply from the stopcock into the house.
A subsequent letter showed that the Water board was responsible for the repairs up to the boundary of our property in the street. Everything from the boundary was our responsibility.

If the supply from your water meter is on your property then you are able to take a supply from after it. My son has a house that has a supply to the house and one that branches off the supply to the outhouse. The pipe work is Tee'd off underground before it goes into the house. All the properties in the area are the same. (So the supply to the outhouse isn't switched off at the mains under the kitchen sink.)

What you need is an r/o as your water tds is high. You are better having an r/o in your garden as it would be more convenient filling your vehicle from there.
Well that's the issue, the water meter is at the house but the supply is at the end of the garden (about 80 metres away) so we can't tap into the garden supply as it's before the meter.

We would fit an outside tap but it's a listed building so I doubt we'd be allowed. (We're not allowed a satellite dish).

What about getting an RO 4040 fitted in the van? Some of these can produce 400 to 500 ltrs of water in 1 1/2 hrs, rather than the usual 12-15 hrs a 300 gpd RO would take. So all you would have to do is hook up a hosepipe to the RO in the van from your inside tap for an hour half. Is that feasible? Other than that it sounds like quite a tricky one.

That could work. How much are they?

That could work. How much are they?

The cheapest one I have seen is on EBay for £359.99. They range from that price up to £700. Might be worth finding out your water pressure as there is two different types of RO4040, HF4 and HF5, the HF5 works better if your pressure isn't great, but is more expensive. You obviously want to get the right one if you want to produce quickly.

sorry I'm a little bit confused. Where are you storing rain water now? Is it across the road or in a garden right outside your house? do you have a garden outside your window? Or only the one outside the street? And how close can your get your van to your house without having to cross a busy road?

Back