Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Old advertising text removal

WCF

Help Support WCF:

To me the OP's images seem to show, what looks like internal sign writing that has been removed but the adhesive is somehow embedded into the glass. You can make out some letters!

Hopefully we will find out if there is a solution to remove it.

I did wonder if when the glass was made if it ran along something lattice like and it left marks on the glass , when it’s dry it looks fine it’s only when wet or damp misty that it showed up ???? 
It's very possible. It happens in the heating process.

I will see if I still have the video of glass manufacturing process.

To me the OP's images seem to show, what looks like internal sign writing that has been removed but the adhesive is somehow embedded into the glass. You can make out some letters!

Your eyes are way better then mine ????

This is gonna sound strange but hang in with me here. I would use Tcut scratch remover, the thick stuff not the liquid one. The reason I say that is when I removed the lettering from my old van it was the only thing that would remove the marks where they had been and polish it up like the rest of the van. I imagine it would be a similar process for the window, they're marks where something has been that need polishing out instead of something that needs to be scrubbed off if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

@DeLaCruz....I throw on a my good pair reading glasses, because of @ched999ukpost, I can see the letters faintly, if the window doesn't have any treatment on the glass just take some cerium oxide (hard water stain remover powder) and a scrub pad that wont scratch glass. It should take it right off if it is on the glass (not ghosted into the glass.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to a glazier in Newquay today who lives nearby - he said that glass is porous so can be effected by mistreatment. The previous occupants had hand painted the glass - I have been there today and cleaned the glass with iso alcohol and industrial degreaser seperately, then I traded the whole lot - there is nothing on the glass but the ghost lettering remains and hasn’t been touched by cleaning - it shows up clearly when I steam a kettle up beneath it

View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

Sounds like on an almost microscopic level there is paint in the 'pores' of the glass. Only thing that might work, but I doubt it, is some sort of paint remover like nitromorse. 

Think the custy will only be able to get rid by replacing the glass but that's not going to be cheap as it will be toughened plate glass!

Maybe simpler way is for them to have some decals made up promoting themselves to cover the top strip?

Great that you found out what is causing the issues and letting us know.

I wasn’t aware that it can absorb chemicals below the top layer so readily that can effect its structure whilst remaining clear and apparently in good condition to the naked eye - no, sorry about that ?
It's all good no blood no foul. ?

I just never understood people not understanding the core of their trade. 

Maybe it's just me (I'm very very OCD) I would never do a job that I didnt fully understand.

I learn stuff every day, I dont know it all, but I research like you have here with this post.

I give you a pat on the back for searching for the answer to your situation. 

But hey it just window cleaning, right! ??

Just in case anyone didn't know, technically glass is not a liquid or a solid at normal temps it's an amorphous solid! So somewhere between a liquid and a solid!! ?

It's all good no blood no foul. ?

I just never understood people not understanding the core of their trade. 

Maybe it's just me (I'm very very OCD) I would never do a job that I didnt fully understand.

I learn stuff every day, I dont know it all, but I research like you have here with this post.

I give you a pat on the back for searching for the answer to your situation. 

But hey it just window cleaning, right! ??
Of course no worries just was trying to get to the bottom of the problem - the lack of science in the (window cleaning) trade is pretty interesting bc its been done for so long without people having to study it on a deeper level - learning that glass could change like this is definitely an eye opener for me. On a side note I have started an Evernote compilation of cool bits and bobs i pick as i learn the trade so i can always reference it on the job - would recommend this a good way to compile knowledge ( app works on both PCs and smart phones and allows notes to be synchronized )

I did wonder if when the glass was made if it ran along something lattice like and it left marks on the glass , when it’s dry it looks fine it’s only when wet or damp misty that it showed up ???? 
Hey @PjjI looked for the video from the glass manufacturing process but couldnt located in my video archives must of got deleted. If I come across it again I'll post it up so everyone can view it.

@DeLaCruzso were you able to solve the issue for this client?

Hey @PjjI looked for the video from the glass manufacturing process but couldnt located in my video archives must of got deleted. If I come across it again I'll post it up so everyone can view it.

@DeLaCruzso were you able to solve the issue for this client?
No this ended up being a problem I couldn’t solve - the client is a friend and has since decided to use some fans in the times when it gets steamed up to combat it

As said before I think it’s more the stickers have protected the glass from the grease in the cafe.

go get a tub of the pink stuff paste from any supermarket ( costs £1 ), rub it onto the glass around the area using a cloth, leave it a few minutes and give the area a good scrub. 
now I already no ur thinking it’s never going to work and I would be thinking the same if I didn’t know better, but it’s defo worth a go...... 

I cleaned some windows ( pic below ) that hadn’t been cleaned in 10 years and after first 2 cleans they was still a mess with staining and the glass had gone cloudy. The stains on the pic had been cleaned and scraped a few times but just kept coming back, and am not being defeated, even tho I felt 3-0 down at this point. 
the paste done the trick so give it a go 

I wouldn’t use ammonia inside a restaurant of any sort and u have to be careful what chemicals can be used in food environments 

78C6C6B2-F002-419D-8EEC-36B5561B4249.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back