Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Petrol van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CMcB

Hello,
Does anyone use a petrol van? My work is all in the city and I rarely drive long high speed journeys and I've now had 2 vans with engine problems that my mechanic and research have both said are related to not driving long distances. There are things that I'm planning on doing to change this, but I was recommended to use a petrol van if possible. Does anyone here use one for city driving? How do you find it? A lower payload is no problem as I just use 350L tank and that is sufficient for me.
Any advice welcome.

Hello,
Does anyone use a petrol van? My work is all in the city and I rarely drive long high speed journeys and I've now had 2 vans with engine problems that my mechanic and research have both said are related to not driving long distances. There are things that I'm planning on doing to change this, but I was recommended to use a petrol van if possible. Does anyone here use one for city driving? How do you find it? A lower payload is no problem as I just use 350L tank and that is sufficient for me.
Any advice welcome.

With all these emission controls, petrol for short distances starts to make sense.
At one time, a used petrol van was worthless. But times are changing.

@CMcB I have a diesel but wouldn't have one again. Had issues with emissions and messing about with adblue and also needing to take it longer journeys every so often as I do lots of short ones. Far too much faff. Petrol is much better for the short, stop and start journeys window cleaners do.

Local window cleaner near me has a little Petrol Corsa Van with an LPG conversion. Happy to do short journeys and costs less than a diesel would with all the stop/start trips. Surprising high payload for such a little thing too.

Admittedly, with him carring 350L and me with 500L in my diesel van, its painfully slow to follow him out of a junction, but then if you are just in the city 0-60 times are hardly a concern.

Might be silly money but have you looked at Electric vans? I don't think you pay road tax on electric vans. Although that is changing in 2025.
The Nissan ENV200 has a payload of about 660kg and a range of 170 miles in summer empty!

Might be silly money but have you looked at Electric vans? I don't think you pay road tax on electric vans. Although that is changing in 2025.
The Nissan ENV200 has a payload of about 660kg and a range of 170 miles in summer empty!
Have you seen the 2nd hand value of electric vehicles, cars lose 50% in first 3 years. Don't know if this applies to vans as well but I'd be very wary

My 4.5 year old van has halved in value. There has been a huge change recently in the resale value of electric cars in auctions, usually leased vehicles.
Try and buy a decent 3yr old petrol car for half price, and I'm not talking high milers
My Audi was around 50- 60% of its new price after 36 months it’s a diesel none of that electric rubbish ????that was trad in prices not retail price , I think vans are a bit of a different kettle of fish , I was offered 10 k more after 6 months of ownership of my current van by the dealership that sold it to me

My 4.5 year old van has halved in value. There has been a huge change recently in the resale value of electric cars in auctions, usually leased vehicles.
Try and buy a decent 3yr old petrol car for half price, and I'm not talking high milers
Just been looking at a Honda CRV it’s over 52k , they have said it will be worth 50-55% of it’s original value after 3 years it’s a petrol hybrid, no intention of buying it but we do the dealership and just got talking to the owner , I think the current car market is a volatile place and anything could happen in 2-5 years with prices , looking at a merc GLC that’s around 67k and they are quoting around 50-65% after 3-4 years depending what happens with the current market what ever that means ???? and they put that in an email

My Audi was around 50- 60% of its new price after 36 months it’s a diesel none of that electric rubbish ????that was trad in prices not retail price , I think vans are a bit of a different kettle of fish , I was offered 10 k more after 6 months of ownership of my current van by the dealership that sold it to me
A year ago I could've sold my 2 year old Traffic for more money and my 3.5 year old van for 3k less than I paid for it but van prices have started to fall as there's deals starting again on new vans.
Big cars always depreciate quickly as not many private buyers are wanting to spend, or have the finances to, buy a 3yr old car for £40k

@CMcB I have a diesel but wouldn't have one again. Had issues with emissions and messing about with adblue and also needing to take it longer journeys every so often as I do lots of short ones. Far too much faff. Petrol is much better for the short, stop and start journeys window cleaners do.
Sounds exactly like my past few months!

@ched999uk An electric van would be ideal, although expensive, if it wasn't for living in a flat.

Just been looking at a Honda CRV it’s over 52k , they have said it will be worth 50-55% of it’s original value after 3 years it’s a petrol hybrid, no intention of buying it but we do the dealership and just got talking to the owner , I think the current car market is a volatile place and anything could happen in 2-5 years with prices , looking at a merc GLC that’s around 67k and they are quoting around 50-65% after 3-4 years depending what happens with the current market what ever that means ???? and they put that in an email
Your laughing emoji is stuck again ?

Hello,
Any advice welcome.
No but i would go petrol if i were to buy again, diesel isnt for short trip and cold engines all day.

Trade in prices are terrible they try to have your pants down.Most people don’t bus cars and vans outright now and take out PCP or lease deals.
3 year old cars you can get a good deal as this is when most lease and pcp people switch contracts.

I would imagine Petrol vans are holding good money with low emissions zones popping up everywhere.

New vans are still crazy money the price I’ve seen which some are paying for the new transit buying outright or on a monthly payment is scary.

Hello,
Any advice welcome.

I've never had problems driving diesel vans and short distances,my van is a 2017 connect euro6 with DPF too...I stop,start all day and do around 3,000-4000 miles per year

Latest Posts

Back