Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pickup Truck purchase and hmrc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Stratf01

I've been consider changing vehicle from a van to a pickup for a while now for various reasons.

I know a few here manage quite well with this setup.

My question is, is it possible to claim for the vehicle for capital allowance or plant and machinery for expenses? It's a bit of a minefield for me and wondered if any would mind sharing what they have been able to claim. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a new pickup, it would be about 2016 year so a used vehicle using a loan.

I understand the running expenses side of things but it's the purchasing the vehicle side im more interested in.

Thanks very much in advance for any pointers.

I've been consider changing vehicle from a van to a pickup for a while now for various reasons.

I know a few here manage quite well with this setup.

My question is, is it possible to claim for the vehicle for capital allowance or plant and machinery for expenses? It's a bit of a minefield for me and wondered if any would mind sharing what they have been able to claim. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a new pickup, it would be about 2016 year so a used vehicle using a loan.

I understand the running expenses side of things but it's the purchasing the vehicle side im more interested in.

Thanks very much in advance for any pointers.

is it possible to claim for the vehicle for capital allowance or plant and machinery for expenses?

You need to speak to an accountant or even phone the Receiver and ask them. At one time we could claim write down allowance, but they changed it to AIA (annual investment allowance). This allows you to claim the full vehicle purchase against tax, but that probably isn't the way forward for you as the vehicle's purchase price will be more than the benefit of the allowance.

I would imagine it would be classed as a commercial vehicle, but this would also be a question you should ask.

I don’t understand why anyone in our industry would want to do this.
Easier for the water to freeze, and everything is vulnerable to thieves?

I'm inclined to agree but it's also personal circumstances. I would be space limited using a pickup. In my situation, I wouldn't consider a pickup. But others may find it a necessity.
We had a spurt of people buying 4x4 's when council gritting in winter was curtailed. Some of our estates are on hills.

If you are in the Scottish Highlands, then maybe a 4x4 pickup is a necessity. (Then again the o/p has just said a pickup, so that may not be a 4x4.)
A pickup will have a higher ground clearance, which ever it is.

No different to buying a van, the only difference would be convincing HMRC that it is only used for work if you try and claim 100%. I have been warned, by my Accountant that if the vehicle is claimed for work only your insurance should be for work only

As a sole trader, i think you would find it difficult to convince hrmc it was only used for business anyway.

I seem to remember that hrmc said that if we used the van to go down to the chippy at lunch time just once, that's private use.

This is the reason my percentage of private is 10% to 90% business. It's proved pretty accurate over there years.

As a sole trader, i think you would find it difficult to convince hrmc it was only used for business anyway.

I seem to remember that hrmc said that if we used the van to go down to the chippy at lunch time just once, that's private use.

This is the reason my percentage of private is 10% to 90% business. It's proved pretty accurate over there years.
Only chance would be if you had sole access to another car

I would happily argue that one with HMRC. I go to my local Chinese now and again in the van as it saves unlocking gates to get the car out. When they saw the sign written van they asked for a quote to clean their windows! I now do their windows regularly. So by using the van I am actively marketing my business and I can prove it has worked at least once! :)

Any vehicle can be business use only even a car depending on your job . I know ones that have motor homes and use them exclusively for business use to save hotel accommodation , HMRC don’t have any issue providing you can prove ware you have been and the reason for the stay there .

I would happily argue that one with HMRC. I go to my local Chinese now and again in the van as it saves unlocking gates to get the car out. When they saw the sign written van they asked for a quote to clean their windows! I now do their windows regularly. So by using the van I am actively marketing my business and I can prove it has worked at least once! :)
Yes mr HMRC i was visiting the fish and chip shop to give them a quote , whilst there they offered me tea , very difficult to prove otherwise, they aren’t interested in such trivia it’s being pedantic taking it to the enth degree

Yes mr HMRC i was visiting the fish and chip shop to give them a quote , whilst there they offered me tea , very difficult to prove otherwise, they aren’t interested in such trivia it’s being pedantic taking it to the enth degree
I'm always going to shops to provide quotes I usually come out with food and beer ?

I'm inclined to agree but it's also personal circumstances. I would be space limited using a pickup. In my situation, I wouldn't consider a pickup. But others may find it a necessity.
We had a spurt of people buying 4x4 's when council gritting in winter was curtailed. Some of our estates are on hills.

If you are in the Scottish Highlands, then maybe a 4x4 pickup is a necessity. (Then again the o/p has just said a pickup, so that may not be a 4x4.)
A pickup will have a higher ground clearance, which ever it is.
It’s really disappointing manufactures don’t offer vans with AWD anymore. I get it, they obviously weren’t selling that well in the UK so wasn’t worth the tooling, but it’s still disappointing. Found out recently my van, Peugeot Expert, can be had as a AWD in Euro left hand drive. Honestly think, if money isn’t too tight, lads that are considering a pickup may want to consider a import instead ??‍♂️

It’s really disappointing manufactures don’t offer vans with AWD anymore. I get it, they obviously weren’t selling that well in the UK so wasn’t worth the tooling, but it’s still disappointing. Found out recently my van, Peugeot Expert, can be had as a AWD in Euro left hand drive. Honestly think, if money isn’t too tight, lads that are considering a pickup may want to consider a import instead ??‍♂️
You can there are several 4x4 or awd vans available, MAN TGE , ford transit awd just to name a couple

series 111 or even a defender, land rover will do all you will ever need mate, as an added bonus you get tyre whine when driving, (reminds you of the missus) erratic steering and a heater that is well erm, doesn't good in summer though, get the right one an its tax and mot exempt.
@Dave B used to work on these i think i used to bend em he mended em so the phrase went.

I don’t understand why anyone in our industry would want to do this.
Easier for the water to freeze, and everything is vulnerable to thieves?
I can personally see the appeal, I currently have a car and my work van - the car sits on the drive 99% of the time as the Mrs doesn't drive, but it is essential as I have a child and the van isn't suitable for family days out, trips with the dogs etc. Of course a crew cab van is an option but I'd rather pull up to the pub in a nice ford ranger than a van, crew cab or not although a lot of the crew cab vans are quite smart these days

I can personally see the appeal, I currently have a car and my work van - the car sits on the drive 99% of the time as the Mrs doesn't drive, but it is essential as I have a child and the van isn't suitable for family days out, trips with the dogs etc. Of course a crew cab van is an option but I'd rather pull up to the pub in a nice ford ranger than a van, crew cab or not although a lot of the crew cab vans are quite smart these days
If you’re driving to the pub, no point going ??

These are usually factory options made to order. In the old days, you basically paid for the vehicle upfront and waited months for delivery.

Back