Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Powered hose reel killing battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Most people I've seen don't use manual reels correctly. Some lift them out, unreel and wind back while bent over to reach ground level. Others leave them in the van but stand almost directly in front to wind in. This means the arm and shoulder have to pump/crank. More often than not the reels are fairly stiff causing unnecessary effort to be needed.

We leave the reels loose but tethered in the van. Both clover type reels are modified with threaded bar through the sides, one side to the other. This holds the sides from pushing out against the ends of the spindle which can cause a lot of unnecessary friction. We stand slightly to the side of the reel instead of in front. This way we can simply spin the reels using just the lower arm (like spinning a conker on a string as if it were a propeller). The effort needed is almost nothing. Once it's going the reel develops a flywheel effect and it can nearly be done with a thumb and one finger. Done right the effort needed with a manual reel is less than light exercise and the speed is something to behold.

One of the main topics of discussion on the forum is electric reels and the problems associated with them: cost, reliability, batteries and charging. I don't need them.

Another main topic is diesel water heating systems and the problems associated with them: cost, servicing, breakdown, batteries and charging. I don't want or need them either.

Each to their own, as we've said before. ??
Think that’s a very good post ?.

I too agree that there’s a lot of people who use their manual reels incorrectly.

I also have zero interest in electric reels as mine are an absolute doddle to use.

I had them custom fitted by grippa to bolt on either side of my tank at just under chest height. So no lifting in or out or bending over to reel in or out.

The reels and rollers are regularly oiled so everything glides.

Just pull up, open either of the side doors, grab a pole that’s constantly connected to the reel, and off you trot.

I like your analogy of the conker on a string, because that’s how easy it is standing upright and just flicking the wrist. Nice and easy ??‍?

I had them custom fitted by grippa to bolt on either side of my tank at just under chest height. So no lifting in or out or bending over to reel in or out.

The reels and rollers are regularly oiled so everything glides.

Just pull up, open either of the side doors, grab a pole that’s constantly connected to the reel, and off you trot.
So Steve, you have the same setup on either side of the tank, a reel and pole already connected up so that I guess depending on which side of the road the house is, you can use the pole and hose reel closest to the job? And its a one man setup? Hadn't thought of that mate...if that's how it is ? Nice idea.

So Steve, you have the same setup on either side of the tank, a reel and pole already connected up so that I guess depending on which side of the road the house is, you can use the pole and hose reel closest to the job? And its a one man setup? Hadn't thought of that mate...if that's how it is ? Nice idea.
You can use it as a two man set up by just throwing a length of hose under the van then reconnecting to the pole, but I also have a trolley system and backpack in the back of the van which my former employee liked to use ??‍?

Back