Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Powering a gutter vac

WCF

Help Support WCF:

My mate has just bought a gutter vac and has a query which I can't answer, but am hoping someone on here may be able to.

He currently is using customers power to run it however is trying to work out a way of powering it if they're not in. Obviously a generator would be the best option but budget currently won't allow.

My thought was is there way to use the van engine as a generator?? In theory if the alternator was powerful enough surely he could use an inverter to power it, either direct off the battery or via the 12v socket.

However would that give enough power to run a 3000w vac, especially on start up? Or is there another way I've not thought of?

Any input would be fantastic guys, thanks in advance
To run a gutter vac with an overall estimated wattage of 3400w,

You would need a commercial sine wave inverter weighing at around 25kg and a maximum wattage of 5kw because you always allow more peak than normal usage with resistive loads.

In short you would pay around £3000 for a quality made Inverter which wouldn't be cost effective for you and cheaper to buy a decent 4kw generator 

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate has just bought a gutter vac and has a query which I can't answer, but am hoping someone on here may be able to.

He currently is using customers power to run it however is trying to work out a way of powering it if they're not in. Obviously a generator would be the best option but budget currently won't allow.

My thought was is there way to use the van engine as a generator?? In theory if the alternator was powerful enough surely he could use an inverter to power it, either direct off the battery or via the 12v socket.

However would that give enough power to run a 3000w vac, especially on start up? Or is there another way I've not thought of?

Any input would be fantastic guys, thanks in advance
A fair few houses now have an "Outside Waterproof Electrical Connection"?.

Does it come apart at all PJJ
You can take the drum off it but that’s it , I am very surprised how easy it is tk move about and get in and out of the van on you own , if you tip it onto the back wheels then push the front wheels into the van then lift up  the handle it’s in the van easy and simple no ramps needed , I do accept it’s a bigger vac but if doing tiny houses probably better off with a mains powered Grippatank vac but if doing medium houses upwards I would thoroughly recommend it , no electric needed at all nice little engine one pull and it’s running work anywhere , it is a typical Honda noisy engine but I have found that can work to our advantage as the neighbours hear it running and come out to see what’s going in and quite often then want there’s doing as well ?????  

If you had a sky vac atom hypotheticly speaking,,and you had to take it somewhere awkward where your intersepter wouldnt go,could you use the intersepters honda engine to power the atom?

If you had a sky vac atom hypotheticly speaking,,and you had to take it somewhere awkward where your intersepter wouldnt go,could you use the intersepters honda engine to power the atom?
No you can’t , I have a Grippatank small mains powered vac as well that I use for shop fronts or difficult access going through a terraced house kind of thing , but apart from that haven’t found a job where I cannot get the interceptor 

To run a gutter vac with an overall estimated wattage of 3400w,

You would need a commercial sine wave inverter weighing at around 25kg and a maximum wattage of 5kw because you always allow more peak than normal usage with resistive loads.

In short you would pay around £3000 for a quality made Inverter which wouldn't be cost effective for you and cheaper to buy a decent 4kw generator 
Thanks! thats great advice, I think ill just use clients power for now unless larger commercial contracts come up. 

Thanks! thats great advice, I think ill just use clients power for now unless larger commercial contracts come up. 
I dont see why there's such a big deal, regarding Gutter Vac power supply. Extension lead, plug in, obviously mindful of the rain. Away ya go??.

I dont see why there's such a big deal, regarding Gutter Vac power supply. Extension lead, plug in, obviously mindful of the rain. Away ya go??.
Customer has to be in unless they have an outside socket , friend of mine used the socket in the customers garage and blew the trip didn’t realise what had happened as he was packing up , a few days later had a very irate customer on the phone as all his stuff in the freezer had defrosted ??? was a very costly mistake 

I've been clearing gutters for years and only ever need to hire a genny once - industrial site at weekend - looked into getting a genny but as has been said you need a top end (heavy/expensive) one, I was advised by Grippa at LEAST 6.5KVA  (2.5xyour vacs max draw - i think was their calc) then you have to lug it around so need the space or get it fitted in back of van and run power from there.

But do you 'really' need one ? About 80% at least, of houses in my area now have outside powerpoints (alot have them in multiple locations around the house) - ask at quote/booking in stage - if no joy - list the options - custy's extension reel plugged in and socket end feed thru a catflap/letterbox/fanlight windows/under garage door etc, switched on and wrapped in a plastic bag. Loan them a reel , if then don't have one) or could they possibly ask a neighbour? 

Eitherway ask them to test the socket you will use to ensure it's 'switched' on inside/not duff - had a few of those gotchas.

You need to ensure you have a long enough reel/s or daisy chain them - but make sure they are heavy duty ones with good sized core not thin cheap ones which could overheat (best get electricians adviceon that - Q someone on here) but to be fair i dont leave mine running all the time a lot of on/off so no overheat issues.

Use a RCD directly into the custy's socket to protect custy's internal circuity from tripping.

Works like a charm 99.9% of the time - costs you nothing - what's not to like

I've been clearing gutters for years and only ever need to hire a genny once - industrial site at weekend - looked into getting a genny but as has been said you need a top end (heavy/expensive) one, I was advised by Grippa at LEAST 6.5KVA  (2.5xyour vacs max draw - i think was their calc) then you have to lug it around so need the space or get it fitted in back of van and run power from there.

But do you 'really' need one ? About 80% at least, of houses in my area now have outside powerpoints (alot have them in multiple locations around the house) - ask at quote/booking in stage - if no joy - list the options - custy's extension reel plugged in and socket end feed thru a catflap/letterbox/fanlight windows/under garage door etc, switched on and wrapped in a plastic bag. Loan them a reel , if then don't have one) or could they possibly ask a neighbour? 

Eitherway ask them to test the socket you will use to ensure it's 'switched' on inside/not duff - had a few of those gotchas.

You need to ensure you have a long enough reel/s or daisy chain them - but make sure they are heavy duty ones with good sized core not thin cheap ones which could overheat (best get electricians adviceon that - Q someone on here) but to be fair i dont leave mine running all the time a lot of on/off so no overheat issues.

Use a RCD directly into the custy's socket to protect custy's internal circuity from tripping.

Works like a charm 99.9% of the time - costs you nothing - what's not to like
There are alot of people that do not understand electricity and they just see a generator as 230v and that's it.

No understanding of the amperage and flaws with inverter based generators.

I strongly advise that "Daisy chaining" leads together is a big risk.

With most of the large capacity twin and triple motor machines running at around 3600w you'll be needing a 6.5kva at minimum.

Also most of the shelve B&Q 30m jojo extension leads are only fused and rated at 10amps, also guys having long leads still spooled will heat up and burn up in no time.

When I have 5 mins ill create a gutter vac power guide for the most popular models on the market listing their power requirements and matched generator pairing and the best heavy duty extension leads available 

Might help alot of people 

When I have 5 mins ill create a gutter vac power guide for the most popular models on the market listing their power requirements and matched generator pairing and the best heavy duty extension leads available 

Might help alot of people 
Did you manage to get round to doing this?

Apw how's that gutter vac power guide going?? keen to garner from your knowledge (btw still love your back/trolley pack) Easy to pull down harder to build up ?  

Don't buy a generator from Amazon. Plenty of small independent equipment suppliers in the UK who would appreciate your custom during these times 
The only thing that's putting me off any generator is the weight....40kg to be heaving in and out the little van seems to be too much....is it possible to get anything that will power the skyvac Atom at more around 25kg?

The only thing that's putting me off any generator is the weight....40kg to be heaving in and out the little van seems to be too much....is it possible to get anything that will power the skyvac Atom at more around 25kg?
That’s the problem to run these vacs the genies are big and heavy , that’s the reason I bought the interceptor it looks big and heavy , but it’s easy to get in and out of the van on your own and doesn’t need a genie or any other power source . 

Back