Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing too high?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's a good idea @Clisty1989 don't offer 8 week cleans. If they ask then try and persuade them that its not beneficial having dirt on the glass more than a month as its harder to come off. They used to do the cleans up here every 2 weeks but all my customers were happy to change to monthly. Monthly or every 4 weeks seems to be the optimum now. The reason I like beginning of every month is because folk usually get paid then. :1f609:  

Lol i try not to but when i am quoting and say "i take it you are you looking for a regular service then " and they say " yeah what did you think" and i then say "well every 4 weeks is the norm" .... and they give me that look like im on ACID, i then say "well i could come every 8 weeks but we do charge 50% extra for that" then they usually say " yeah no 8 weeks sounds right i just can't see us needing it done EVERY month .

Hmmmm goal for rest of this week is to get 2 monthly customers on board and don't offer 8 weekly option. See how it goes

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Like i say i dont mind the extra money that the 8 weekly brings in.... but ultimately id like more monthlys. Why are you guys against 8 weekly by the way? You guys have so many custys that you can afford to charge more and take 8 weeklys on? Or is there a real sticking reason why you dont like them? Id really be keen to know as i could be setting myself up for a disaster. The only negative i can see is scheduling problems ?

once a month sounds better than 4weekly,which more or less the same thing but doesnt sound like it

Once a month gives you 12 cleans a year. Every 4 weeks gives you 13 cleans most years.

I'm new too and im finding all my customers are going for 8 weeks frequency. I actually think this is great though because i do charge 50% extra and so when i get to my full capacity, ill be earning an extra 50% every month for the exact same customers and practically the same amount of work.... which would be a huge difference in terms of earnings. Only trouble is itll take ages to get there but will be well worth it. Lucky i still have the odd day of freelancing to take on every now and again (from my past career industry) to bring some money in if i need.

Gone are the days when we used to clean every 2 weeks traditionally.  Every 4 weeks was the exception and every 8 weeks was in the words of John McEnroe "you can't be serious.'

The best advice I have every read was this "You will never make it without a plan" 8 weekly is inconsistent with my monthly rota. I like to keep things simple which works well with a simple lad. :1f609:

Yes and monthly would be practically impossible to schedule and take payment wouldnt it as the day will keep changing etc ? 4 weekly is like see you in 4 wednesdays time (whatever the actual date may be)...or in my case 8 wednesdays time ?

The best advice I have every read was this "You will never make it without a plan" 8 weekly is inconsistent with my monthly rota. I like to keep things simple which works well with a simple lad. :1f609:
Sounds good

its leaves time for hols as well on monthly!!!!

Ahhhhh [emoji848]

That's a good idea @Clisty1989 don't offer 8 week cleans. If they ask then try and persuade them that its not beneficial having dirt on the glass more than a month as its harder to come off. They used to do the cleans up here every 2 weeks but all my customers were happy to change to monthly. Monthly or every 4 weeks seems to be the optimum now. The reason I like beginning of every month is because folk usually get paid then. :1f609:  

When we changed to wfp our 2 weeklies started the old, 'can you leave it this time as the windows are still clean?' In those days we were desperate for work so put up with the nonsence. When the credit crunch came we had 'can you leave it this time with 4 weeks.' I decided to put them all on 6 weeks as we canvassed like mad to get more work. The every 8 weeklies became 12 weeklies. Then the complaints started that the windows were dirty, where have we been? Answer? 'we left you for next time.' We are looking after our 6 weekly customers.

Yeah i see where you are coming from and i agree. I'm still trying to get a custumer base built though so am not going to say take it or leave it JUST yet....but may do in the future when i have a bit more room to play. People seem to think that cleaning windows every 4 weeks is completely unnecessary and wont go for it. I guess i can kind of see their side too but would be great to get them on board monthly if i could. Its all very interesting stuff.

Again i think this depends  where in the country you are 90% + of my domestic are 4 weekly , that’s what I offer if they say every other month I will do it providing it’s financial viable but most want 4 weekly 

4 weekly is the norm, But I will happily do 8 weekly which I only have a handful I am the only cleaner I know to be happy to do 8 weekly but I charge 50% extra and people are happy that as they are making saving even if it's a small one. 

It definitely depends on where abouts in the country are.

While canvassing a new job, practically every time after accepting the price they pause, then look at me suspiciously and say how often do you come? 

They are quite relieved when I say every 4 weeks as fortnightly cleans are still common in Yorkshire and certainly in recent memory for most.

Adjust your pricing until you hit the % of closes you are after.

But don't run before you can walk, get a full round first then refine it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now only offer 8 weekly  and that’s if I want the job or pass it all on to my mate/  regarding pricing Imo it’s all about how you come across to your potential new customer, be friendly chatty /win them over gain there confidence and explain how your system works and 90% of the time you will get the work [ Domestic]  and tell them how wonderful the garden looks or what a lovely property you live in ? 

So so wrong.  Its as simple as that I.G. 
If you went round some of the new build estates I clean 2 bed with 4 windows a front door and patio doors you can't price them high I charge £5.50 and my prices are higher than lads in my area and the older 3 beds not a hope you could charge £15.00 up here when lads are doing them for £5.00 

If you went round some of the new build estates I clean 2 bed with 4 windows a front door and patio doors you can't price them high I charge £5.50 and my prices are higher than lads in my area and the older 3 beds not a hope you could charge £15.00 up here when lads are doing them for £5.00 
But I do and our books are getting fatter day by day. 

A franchisor will normally take 20% royalty from each job, so you could immediately charge 20% less than them and be on an even keel with the actual cleaner. You could head a canvassing campaign with this in mind- you could even use THEIR pricing structure. If you are close to one of these operations this is what I would do in your shoes and needing to build a round.  

Absolutely no hope of getting that price within my county let alone the town I cover.

County Durham Lad

I do a new estate with houses pretty much identical in Rotherham, S.yorks for £7 and earn over £50 an hour on them (very compact work i.e. move van once in a day). Green pro would have to charge more to get the same rate as I seem to remember his work is more spread out in Derbyshire. But on those houses we'd probably earn a similar amount per hour.

I've found though, that new estates don't always follow the prices of the area they are in. People feel like they've upgraded from the old rough estate and almost expect to pay more. As a result, you can get away with updating to modern pricing on them easier than on old council estates. My mum lives a few minutes away from this estate and the local windy does most of her street for £3 for a 3 bed semi. 

I'd be interested to know what percentage of your quotes at £5.50 get accepted on that estate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back