Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing too high?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No. Houses cost more. Thats it. 
Not true mate. Petrol costs more, bus journeys and train journeys cost more. Parking is more, I can park all day in St Helens for £5, in Gloucester it’s £15. Council tax is more because houses are worth more and this is where they work out the bandings. Peoples general transport costs are higher here than in the north west because here there is a lot of distance between towns and villages where as up north things are relatively close together... Towns border one another with little or no countryside in between (I appreciate this isn’t always true and down south has the same thing in places) so people tend to work closer to home. The same as we charge more builders and plumbers etc charge more so there is another expense. Smaller independent shops also need to charge more for the same reasons. It starts with house prices but it leaks into loads of other areas.

The only things I can think are cheaper... Home insurance and Car insurance, that certainly doesn’t counteract the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your day to day costs are the same, food and utilities are the same. Houses are more expensive but they are an investment so will become an asset in later life. 
Thanks to large retail brands like Tesco, Matalan, sports direct etc etc etc they are indeed. I took the kids on the London eye a few years back, found a Tesco express right across from the Houses of Parliament so got lunch for £3 each instead of the ridiculous prices you pay elsewhere

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Not true mate. Petrol costs more, bus journeys and train journeys cost more. Parking is more, I can park all day in St Helens for £5, in Gloucester it’s £15. Council tax is more because houses are worth more and this is where they work out the bandings. Peoples general transport costs are higher here than in the north west because here there is a lot of distance between towns and villages where as up north things are relatively close together... Towns border one another with little or no countryside in between (I appreciate this isn’t always true and down south has the same thing in places) so people tend to work closer to home. The same as we charge more builders and plumbers etc charge more so there is another expense. Smaller independent shops also need to charge more for the same reasons. It starts with house prices but it leaks into loads of other areas.

The only things I can think are cheaper... Home insurance and Car insurance, that certainly doesn’t counteract the above.

Cheapest petrol I ever see is at Brent Cross London, last stop before M1.   Parking here is £1 for 30 mins, Same as Balham in London,  my mates £700'000 apartment in london is £800 per year council tax.  My home in the midlands is £1400...   and on and on.  

Everything cost the same, McDonalds is the same, Coke is the same,  High Street chains are the same cinema tickets and on and on and on. 

Cheapest petrol I ever see is at Brent Cross London, last stop before M1.   Parking here is £1 for 30 mins, Same as Balham in London,  my mates £700'000 apartment in london is £800 per year council tax.  My home in the midlands is £1400...   and on and on.  

Everything cost the same, McDonalds is the same, Coke is the same,  High Street chains are the same cinema tickets and on and on and on. 
I'm not talking about finding some cheap petrol in London once, on average the prices are cheaper up north.... case in point;

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-costs/fuel-prices

I had a look and amazingly Balham has a maximum charge of £1500... Bargain. Brent council on the other hand have a maximum charge of £3000 for anyone living in a property over 320k.... So basically every house in the area and a lot of the flats.

I agree major chains ensure a lot of day to day costs are the same, otherwise the south would be a barren wasteland as everyone would move up north. You can pick particular examples to suit any cause but when you look at averages the cost of living down south is higher. You should be a politician Darren ?

Your day to day costs are the same, food and utilities are the same. Houses are more expensive but they are an investment so will become an asset in later life. 

Thats not true tesco in Helston where I live are considerably dearer than tesco in Redruth ( approximately 10 miles apart ) Redruth is Seen as a deprived area so they price there stuff cheaper , likewise if you go to tesco in Truro they are dearer as Truro is a city and considered an affluent area , most supermarkets adopt the same approach around hear , we have friends in Newcastle and every time we visit them we are amazed how much cheaper most food stuff is in supermarkets up there compared to hear the cost of living is considerably dearer down in the south west , my 3 bed detached house is around £300k again that almost twice the price of its equivalent up north , the south west has the highest water charges in the country . The only way we would benefit would be to sell up down hear and move up north and buy a cheaper property, also the distances we have to travel to get decent shopping is far greater the town I live in you cannot buy a pair of shoes or jeans unless you want a supermarket brand so it costs us a lot in travel and parking charges , again up north cannot remember the name of the shopping centre in Newcastle but it’s free parking we regularly pay between £2:50 -5:00 to park this soon adds up so this is why we have to earn more . 

Is that tesco by whitefield school or the shell on staples corner?

Both are expensive compared to me 28 miles north

It will always be more expensive in rural areas, the transportation of goods is more expensive. This won't apply to large populated areas. I am fairly certain that tourist areas will also attract higher costs, the Lake District is very expensive and in the North West. 

Generally food and fuel costs across the country, in areas of high population, are comparable. 

The shopping complex is the Metro Centre

Jeez everywhere seems more expensive then here. £1.24 a litre petrol £1.27 diesel, my house was 67k (2 reception rooms, huge bathroom with separate bath and shower, 3 bed, one is a 20ftx12ft loft conversion, backs onto school, 1 mile from city centre, and a drive). Still would charge £12 for that house.

Jeez everywhere seems more expensive then here. £1.24 a litre petrol £1.27 diesel, my house was 67k (2 reception rooms, huge bathroom with separate bath and shower, 3 bed, one is a 20ftx12ft loft conversion, backs onto school, 1 mile from city centre, and a drive). Still would charge £12 for that house.
My 4 bed semi was £32k, 2 miles from city centre, and 200 yards from open countryside. Mind that was in 1983 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It all comes down to a word called economics, which means "the transfer of wealth" Talking to the buyer from Levis and he was saying that they sell same jeans all over the world but at different prices. He told me that you can get a pair of jeans for £15 in Portugal which will cost £25 in the UK. I asked why sell so cheap in Portugal? He replied if we charge £25 then we wouldn't sell any because they wouldn't pay £25 a pair. So if we want to sell our jeans in that country then we have no choice but to cut our prices. There is only 3 prices in anything, cheap, optimum and expensive. Marketing works out how many and how much an area will be willing to pay for the product. A guy I know built a fantastic stereo system and he couldn't give it away at £90. Someone bought one of them and told him it was the best sound system he had heard and told him the reason they weren't selling, they were too cheap. He automatically put the price up to £150 a unit and he sold out. These two facts were told to me 30yrs ago. In the end I realized the product and the marketing go hand in hand, if that was not the case, BMW, Audi, Mercedes would not need to spend millions on advertising. When I watch a football match, I mostly pay attention to the adverts around the pitch. They say they have a gambling problem in football, pay attention to the adverts when watching your next game and you will understand why. :1f609:

Thats not true tesco in Helston where I live are considerably dearer than tesco in Redruth ( approximately 10 miles apart ) Redruth is Seen as a deprived area so they price there stuff cheaper , likewise if you go to tesco in Truro they are dearer as Truro is a city and considered an affluent area , most supermarkets adopt the same approach around hear , we have friends in Newcastle and every time we visit them we are amazed how much cheaper most food stuff is in supermarkets up there compared to hear the cost of living is considerably dearer down in the south west , my 3 bed detached house is around £300k again that almost twice the price of its equivalent up north , the south west has the highest water charges in the country . The only way we would benefit would be to sell up down hear and move up north and buy a cheaper property, also the distances we have to travel to get decent shopping is far greater the town I live in you cannot buy a pair of shoes or jeans unless you want a supermarket brand so it costs us a lot in travel and parking charges , again up north cannot remember the name of the shopping centre in Newcastle but it’s free parking we regularly pay between £2:50 -5:00 to park this soon adds up so this is why we have to earn more . 
Tesco Express does charge more than a regular tesco or a tesco extra this is common practice for their smaller 'convenience' stores however if your claiming that a can of Heinz Beanz or a can of Coke in your regular Tesco is more expensive than my regular Tesco then you need to stop smoking the funny fags mate!    That is just twaddle.   Tesco online shopping is the same price as in their physical regular stores- are you saying their web gurus have come up with some dark magic to show you in the south a different price to my mate in the heart of London to me here in the midlands to our cousins in Scotland?  Don't be daft. 

Tesco Express does charge more than a regular tesco or a tesco extra this is common practice for their smaller 'convenience' stores however if your claiming that a can of Heinz Beanz or a can of Coke in your regular Tesco is more expensive than my regular Tesco then you need to stop smoking the funny fags mate!    That is just twaddle.   Tesco online shopping is the same price as in their physical regular stores- are you saying their web gurus have come up with some dark magic to show you in the south a different price to my mate in the heart of London to me here in the midlands to our cousins in Scotland?  Don't be daft. 

Ime not talking  about tesco extra Ime talking about the normal main tesco what I have put in my post is accurate and a fact it was evan in the local press saying about the price difference between towns locally , petrol at the two sites is also different prices  , what it’s like where you are I cannot comment but hear it’s fact 

Its the Tesco manager that can change things, he or she is ultimately in charge of his or her shop. The HQ can overrule them of course but they both have the same goal. Turning a profit.

You're right all Tesco stores charge the same on deal items. The deals can change from area to area, for example you might have pringles for £1 this week and that deal may only come to another county a few weeks later. Thats all based on what's happening locally. Some schools break up at different times for example. If you go to a Tesco near Glastonbury just before the festival nothing is on offer except the national offers. I know this because I was a phone shop manager for them from 2010-2013. The express stores are basicallty your corner shop types and charge a premium, the metro stores are city centre small supermarkets and also charge more but your normal Tesco and Tesco extra will all be a similar price, sometimes not at the same time but the prices are always similar. The only exception is London which has a small increase on pretty much everything except the deal items.

Mcdonalds on the other hand charge different prices wherever you go. Normally this is because of location and they have grown wise to the fact they can whack a quid on for the tourists. Also some are franchised nowadays so they charge different prices. I know this is true because I just bought my boy a medium big mac meal for £5.49!!!!!

Its the Tesco manager that can change things, he or she is ultimately in charge of his or her shop. The HQ can overrule them of course but they both have the same goal. Turning a profit.
They can't. They can request certain lines that customers have asked for but every Tesco store is the same as the next(ish) they are far too busy doing the things head office tell them to break the mould. That's the business model!

Funny you should mention McDonalds. Economists now compare the price of a Big Mac all around the world as a level of inflation and how well the area is doing. Last week I sold a scaffold and delivered it to a place called Barrow. The guy said the place is booming and you need to wait a month for a tradesman to do any work. Does anyone know why?

They can't. They can request certain lines that customers have asked for but every Tesco store is the same as the next(ish) they are far too busy doing the things head office tell them to break the mould. That's the business model!

So that's the reason Tesco is in such a mess, no Local knowledge. That's why our police and fire are in a mess, became national and took away local knowledge, no one cares now and points the blame at the snp Gov who don't know what to do now. No one in the fire or police will help them so it turns to bitterness.

So that's the reason Tesco is in such a mess, no Local knowledge. That's why our police and fire are in a mess, became national and took away local knowledge, no one cares now and points the blame at the snp Gov who don't know what to do now. No one in the fire or police will help them so it turns to bitterness.
What you're talking about is far to nicey nicey for them. The model is set up to make as much money as possible in the most effective way. It has no room for the community in it haha.

Back