Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problem with low pressure, slow flow.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Looking at your pump there are a few tips that might help.

First off use a hair dryer to warm up the inlet and outlet hoses as warmer hoses are easier to remove.

The barb fittings that screw into the pump need a good few turns of plumbers ptfe tape. Wind the tape clockwise when looking at the end that screws into the pump (ie same way as you are going to screw it in). Don't allow the ptfe to block the hole in the fitting that screws into the pump.

It looks a nice easy job, undo jubilee clamps either side of pump, warm hoses, gently pull hoses off pump barbs (you might need to encourage the pipes off with a screwdriver, but remember the barbs are plastic so be gentle). 

Unplug the pump cables (after tanking a few photos so you know where the wires go). Unbolt the 4 bolts that secure pump to tank. Unscrew the barb fittings.

Then clean off old ptfe, apply a good few turns of ptfe onto the barbs and screw into new pump. Bolt in pump, connect wires, connect hoses and tighten it all up. Ideally let the pump pump water to a short outlet pipe to make it easy for the pump to clear the air out.

Should be as simple as that.

There will be a good few 'tutorials' on youtube about replacing Shurflo pumps - mainly on motor homes but the principal should be very similar.

Good Luck.
You don't need to take the  barbs off the hose....I left mine on and just lifted the lock thing on the pump itself....it saves having to mess about trying to pull the barb off the hoses....

I had similar issue & when ordered new pump still didn't work. Then noticed a small fuse had burnt out probably cos it got damp & so slowly affected running of pump. Something so small just didn't expect it

It's going to be something simple.

We have van ports with tap connectors. The hose to the hose reel was fitted with female stop Hozelok hose connectors. This hose had been working fine for at least 6 months. Then suddenly half way through the day a dribble of water. 

I spent at least half an hour trying to source the problem. I eventually believed it was a battery problem even although running the engine with a scr didn't solve the problem. I even tried to use the second pump but the problem persisted.

I drove home, had lunch, then started to trouble shoot. It took me an hour to focus in on that hose with the connectors. I had another hose in the van so used that. Perfect. I felt like an idiot for driving all the way home and spending ages trying to find the issue when I had a solution on the van. I found that suddenly the stop in the female hose connector wasn't releasing even although nothing had changed in the last 6 months.

I removed the stop on every hose connector and never had the problem again.

So the new pump came today and I was just about to start the process of switching them out when I realised the wires on the new pump don't have the connectors attached it's just bare wire so I'm not going to be able to connect it up the same as the old one.

Screenshot_20220203-141010_Discord.jpg

So the new pump came today and I was just about to start the process of switching them out when I realised the wires on the new pump don't have the connectors attached it's just bare wire so I'm not going to be able to connect it up the same as the old one.

View attachment 26377
Tried to repurpose some of my old ones but it seems once they are crimped there is no going back, surprised they didn't supply me with these tbh. Where can you get these connectors?

Hi Gary

Your local Screwfix or electrical shop will stock bullet connectors Please see the following links

https://www.screwfix.com/p/crimp-terminal-set-500-piece-set/84674

Or

https://www.screwfix.com/p/insulated-red-0-5-1-5mm-crimp-butt-100-pack/94616

I would also suggest buying a crimping tool and avoid using plyers as these will crush and cut the bullet rather tnan crimp it securely on to the cable core 

Cheers
Thanks Ian, I found some at my local Toolstation so I'll get on with the job now and report back.

Installed the new pump, it was a lot easier then I thought it would be thanks to the tips I've received here!

Everything is working great again, excellent water pressure and the new pump is so quiet I didn't realise how loud mine had gotten over the years ? 

Thanks for all your help guys, couldn't have done it without you. Learnt some good lessons here!

Installed the new pump, it was a lot easier then I thought it would be thanks to the tips I've received here!

Everything is working great again, excellent water pressure and the new pump is so quiet I didn't realise how loud mine had gotten over the years ? 

Thanks for all your help guys, couldn't have done it without you. Learnt some good lessons here!
Glad you have got it sorted. Many repair their pumps, put new bushes in etc, good  idea for a spare, if it’s worth it. It drives you mad dealing with this kind of thing so frustrating. I had it a while ago then found I had a loose wire going into the connector on the battery. 

I guess we all learn from others problems. The thing is that 2 of my current Shurflo pumps on my van are over 15 years old and its the last thing I would ever have thought would be the problem if it happened to me.

Anyway, well done for identifying and sorting the problem. ?

Glad you have got it sorted. Many repair their pumps, put new bushes in etc, good  idea for a spare, if it’s worth it. It drives you mad dealing with this kind of thing so frustrating. I had it a while ago then found I had a loose wire going into the connector on the battery. 
I put a new diaphgragm in an old shurflo pump and it worked like new after they are around £30 but cheaper than a the cost of a new pump.

I put a new diaphgragm in an old shurflo pump and it worked like new after they are around £30 but cheaper than a the cost of a new pump.
You can't get replacement carbon brushes though. ? And that's where it goes crazy as they are only available as part of the motor, which was 50% more than the cost of a new pump.

I’m sure a friend of mine had his repaired including new brushes for £20 in Leeds. 
Having said that it’s probably doubled In Price now with all what’s going on?

Maybe best to get a new one, who knows. I have had mine 4 1/2 years and it’s fine, if I dare say. I do try hard to look after my stuff. 

I’m sure a friend of mine had his repaired including new brushes for £20 in Leeds. 
Having said that it’s probably doubled In Price now with all what’s going on?

Maybe best to get a new one, who knows. I have had mine 4 1/2 years and it’s fine, if I dare say. I do try hard to look after my stuff. 
I agree I have just replaced 2 pumps after 6 years very heavy use with hot water they were still working fine but flow rate was starting to drop and had to increase the flow on the controllers , after that amount of use I am more than happy to replace them , I think trying to re ferb  them is false  economy if one were to brake down  loss of earnings would far out way the cost of a pump .

I agree I have just replaced 2 pumps after 6 years very heavy use with hot water they were still working fine but flow rate was starting to drop and had to increase the flow on the controllers , after that amount of use I am more than happy to replace them , I think trying to re ferb  them is false  economy if one were to brake down  loss of earnings would far out way the cost of a pump .
I agree. If either of my pumps failed now, I would replace it.

You can't get replacement carbon brushes though. ? And that's where it goes crazy as they are only available as part of the motor, which was 50% more than the cost of a new pump.
The prices have increased quite a bit, the pump I refurb that was 3-4 years ago and the the part was £17 back then 

Latest Posts

Back