Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problem with Waterworks system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have two smart chargers one is 6amps the other is 4amp.

@spruce I use the 4 amp to charge my leisure battery every day looks like I won’t overload the recommended charge rate thanks for letting me know ?
If you keep on top of your battery charging then you should be ok. If you have a 110 amp leisure battery and you need to recharge it after having drawn say 60 amps, you will need well over 15 hours to recharge it. (The fuller the battery gets the lower the recharge rate it will accept.)

They recommend my 10 amp Numax charger for leisure batteries of no more than 165 amps. @dazmondhad his diesel heater fitted at Grippatank. They fitted a second 110 amp leisure battery and supplied him with a 20 amp charger.

That's a point as well I've got a Deisel heater fitted, although I haven't used it yet this year.  Wonder if that little display that is always on drains much battery?

That's a point as well I've got a Deisel heater fitted, although I haven't used it yet this year.  Wonder if that little display that is always on drains much battery?
If you have a diesel heater then you are going to be pulling lots of amps this winter. With 2 pumps, 2 elec reels and a diesel heater I think you really need 220Ah of batteries minimum and if you are only driving a few miles a day you will need to mains charge each night to stop the batteries being killed. 

Can you get an extension cable to the van? If so then get a decent mains powered charger set up. Something like ctek 10 Amp or Numax 10 A Charger  while they only give out 10 Amps, overnight that should easily give you 110Amps back in your batteries. i.e. 2 x 110Ah batts 50% capacity = 110Amps. 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a diesel heater then you are going to be pulling lots of amps this winter. With 2 pumps, 2 elec reels and a diesel heater I think you really need 220Ah of batteries minimum and if you are only driving a few miles a day you will need to mains charge each night to stop the batteries being killed. 

Can you get an extension cable to the van? If so then get a decent mains powered charger set up. Something like ctek 10 Amp or Numax 10 A Charger  while they only give out 10 Amps, overnight that should easily give you 110Amps back in your batteries. i.e. 2 x 110Ah batts 50% capacity = 110Amps. 
I've got this one here :

https://tinyurl.com/y5p84db6

I can't run a lead to the van, I've been taking them inside and charging.

No idea how/where I would put another van battery but will look into it cheers.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The display will draw minimal current. Where you need to be careful in winter is using the frostat settings if you have them on your controller. That controller could start the heater for 10 minutes a few times a night depending on how low the temps get.

Yes, its drawing just under 20 amps to start the heater each time for 2 or 3 minutes and then 6 amps for the rest of the time but you are still taking power from the battery. If your heater restarts numerous times a day due to your working pattern, then there is a big demand on your battery just from the heater alone. Add 20 or 30 seconds of 25amp current draw 15 times a day using an electric reel will soon drain that leisure battery. We haven't thought about a Shurflo pump drawing 4 to 5 amps an hour while working.

IMHO a leisure battery supplying power for a working diesel heater and electric hose reel needs to be recharged every night.

I've got this one here :

https://tinyurl.com/y5p84db6

I can't run a lead to the van, I've been taking them inside and charging.

No idea how/where I would put another van battery but will look into it cheers.
I didn't read this until after I posted the previous comment.

The diesel heater itself is no issue in freezing temperatures as you should have a good mixture of antifreeze in the header tank.

The issue is the pure water in the heat exchanger side as that could freeze. You need to protect that/those heat exchanger/exchangers.

If you can't get power out to the van then you have to consider a second battery and swap them over each night.

The display will draw minimal current. Where you need to be careful in winter is using the frostat settings if you have them on your controller. That controller could start the heater for 10 minutes a few times a night depending on how low the temps get.

Yes, its drawing just under 20 amps to start the heater each time for 2 or 3 minutes and then 6 amps for the rest of the time but you are still taking power from the battery. If your heater restarts numerous times a day due to your working pattern, then there is a big demand on your battery just from the heater alone. Add 20 or 30 seconds of 25amp current draw 15 times a day using an electric reel will soon drain that leisure battery. We haven't thought about a Shurflo pump drawing 4 to 5 amps an hour while working.

IMHO a leisure battery supplying power for a working diesel heater and electric hose reel needs to be recharged every night.
Well I did use the heater last winter only on the coldest of nights, on around 7 p.m till 7 battery was fine then, but yeah I see now with the 2 reels and other bits it will be drained.  Looks like 1 or 2 new batteries then and just bring them inside every night.

Well I did use the heater last winter only on the coldest of nights, on around 7 p.m till 7 battery was fine then, but yeah I see now with the 2 reels and other bits it will be drained.  Looks like 1 or 2 new batteries then and just bring them inside every night.
If you have to run your heater at night then exchange a less charged battery at night for a fully charged one and swap them over the following eveniing.

Back