Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public Liability Insurance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you want to quote for schools for example you need £5-mill, If you decide to do a add on job and aren't properly covered or damage expensive grey aluminium frames some people are having fitted then are in for a big bill. 

What reply did you get, mate?

Looking for alternatives myself...
Well I was in email contact with a Gleaming manager, I told him my situation, sole trader, no employees, no keys to hold, no chemicals used. I wanted cover for any damage I could cause to a property or car including the windows I was working on.

He told me 2nd Feb they were launching a new product that would work out cheaper as we could choose which elements we wanted cover for. I checked and got the same quote, emailed him again and then he told me that there is not going to be a new product, I cut and pasted my original email and his reply, he apologised and said the new date for this product launch was 19th Feb, I checked the website again on the 20th and still no new option. So I  emailed him again asking if the launch date was postponed and have had no reply, this is about 10 days ago. I give up.

APlan and Hiscox and all the others I contacted informed me that they did not cover for the windows that were being worked on, I think that is important, to me it is anyway.

Aplan cover for the work you are undertaking(Damage to glass)I specifically asked this and it's part of my policy.

They are quite knowledgeable on window cleaning for PL and van insurance.They can even supply wfp courtesy vans with you van insurance now.

What’s the point of insurance if your not covered properly!

I’ve had to claim once when a lad caused 4K worth of damage cleaning, replaced the next day!!!

Get proper cover some of you guys that bill would cripple if you didn’t have the right cover we did so it cost me £250 excess

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Who was that with if you don't mind me asking? cheers

Aplan cover for the work you are undertaking(Damage to glass)I specifically asked this and it's part of my policy.

They are quite knowledgeable on window cleaning for PL and van insurance.They can even supply wfp courtesy vans with you van insurance now.
As I only started trading in January I waited until the new financial year to get P/L insurance.

I called A Plan (who I am sure you know is just a Broker) and at the end of giving all my details I asked if it covered the glass or Conservatory I was cleaning and was told, "No".

He was supposed to call back over an hour ago, so it looks like I will go with Gleaming.

As I only started trading in January I waited until the new financial year to get P/L insurance.

I called A Plan (who I am sure you know is just a Broker) and at the end of giving all my details I asked if it covered the glass or Conservatory I was cleaning and was told, "No".

He was supposed to call back over an hour ago, so it looks like I will go with Gleaming.

My policy maybe different to others but mine is £5million covers wfp and ladder work it also says under type of cover contract related property cover and one of the excess fees relate to property damage.

it may just be the type of insurance you want and what they can get you.Mine covers for items worked on but my policy is more tailored for commercial window cleaning.

My policy maybe different to others but mine is £5million covers wfp and ladder work it also says under type of cover contract related property cover and one of the excess fees relate to property damage.

it may just be the type of insurance you want and what they can get you.Mine covers for items worked on but my policy is more tailored for commercial window cleaning.
Damage to property is totally different to damage to item being worked on which is much more specific as I am pretty sure you will be aware off. 

The only one I've seen that covers the item being cleaned is gleaming but they're expensive. I've just taken out bog standard PL insurance with quotelinedirect for £49 annual price. In 12 years the only things I've broken are two plant pots and a £1 bird feeder that sticks to the glass.

The only thing I'm really bothered about being covered for as a small time windy doing 90% domestic is damage I may do to a car, whacking someone on the head with my pole or in case someone trips/slips and you can get that with any pl insurance company.

I gave up on pl insurance. Didn't renew it.. no issues so far..

Lol I can hear someone screaming ..lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I gave up on pl insurance. Didn't renew it.. no issues so far..

Lol I can hear someone screaming ..lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Your choice for the sake of £80.00 hope you don't end up regretting it , Pure madness

County Durham Lad

Who was that with if you don't mind me asking? cheers
Sorry we have it all through a bespoke insurance package

Buildings

fleet

liability

all together with our own business manager Im sure it works out a lot more expensive but I prefer the fact its one point of call for anything, have a meeting every year to discuss any changes that are needed and to check im covered for everything.

Welll I’ve never had to claim in 22 years!! But never say never I guess. 

I havent had house insurance for about 10 years now! Got Public Liability thou. 
Would advise getting house insurance especially if your house is connected to other houses and I will tell you why. Say you are in a semi-detached house and the house through the wall goes on fire and destroys yours then you would think their insurance would pay to rebuild your house? No is the answer. You would only be left with your plot of land, the other insurers are not obligated to rebuild your home even if their policy holder caused it. Not a lot of people know this. Insurance law is not like criminal law. ?

Do you know the householder should have adequate insurance cover for when working on there property, known as premises liability insurance  incase you have a accident  & it is there fault, It is not advisable thou to ask them if they have the cover before you comence work , I once did , the lady was a judge, , she never phoned again for her windows cleaned, LOL

Would advise getting house insurance especially if your house is connected to other houses and I will tell you why. Say you are in a semi-detached house and the house through the wall goes on fire and destroys yours then you would think their insurance would pay to rebuild your house? No is the answer. You would only be left with your plot of land, the other insurers are not obligated to rebuild your home even if their policy holder caused it. Not a lot of people know this. Insurance law is not like criminal law. ?
Are you saying if someone burns your house down they have no liability? 

Are you saying if someone burns your house down they have no liability? 
A woman was on the radio telling her sad story. She owned a semi detached thatch cottage and was trying to save money so she cancelled her £900 a year home / building insurance. The cottage next door went on fire and also destroyed her home. The other house was rebuilt but she was left with the remains because her home was not insured. The other insurance was not obligated to rebuild her cottage so they didn't. The neighbours chipped in and bought her a portacabin which sits on her lawn. This is a true story and the facts are in insurance law. fwiw

i'm with APlan, just basic cover for 1mill, £60 a year.
Hiya, do you just do it all online? is it all set up there and then or a bit of a mission. I have heard APlan a few times. I am just water fed pole on my own form my car. Just want basic cover to any damage to customers house or car etc, Ill prob like to pay out my pocket if not much than rely on insurance,but nice to have it there. Any advice be great.  

Hiya, do you just do it all online? is it all set up there and then or a bit of a mission. I have heard APlan a few times. I am just water fed pole on my own form my car. Just want basic cover to any damage to customers house or car etc, Ill prob like to pay out my pocket if not much than rely on insurance,but nice to have it there. Any advice be great.  
Call Aplan at 0121 711 1711 and it should be less than £70, if you are going to be doing commercial work then go for £5 million in cover at around £90 a year.

Back