Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump flow / pressure problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’m getting well confused . On our van mount we have a varistream controller with a 100 psi shurflo pump . The pressure switch is disconnected . It works perfect . Now on the pure freedom nano trolley . It is a newer different controller with the pressure switch still connected to the pump . Can’t get as good a flow as the van mount , also there is sometimes a delay when I open the tap . Would it be better to disconnect the pressure switch . But pure freedom send them out like this ? Any advice . By the way I have recalibrated it on every setting . Just can’t get it right . 

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce since disconnecting the pressure switch I have also replaced the hose reel 100 meters. Flow at brush head has been a lot better than it was but still having problems when very cold and hard to get good steady constant flow even when trying to re calibrate. The set up I have got is far from perfect and am wondering if it could be battery related ? While in operation the varistream shows the flow number and often flashes between the letters L or P. When trying to make the pressure settings higher recently u has been displayed and system shuts down, however if I turn it back on and lower the settings it works fine again. For convenience of charging and space (in old van) I chose a 36ah golf battery my reason in this is that pure freedom use a
24ah battery in there trolleys however just thinking on this the trolleys are not generally used with 100 meters of hose.
Do you think a 70ah leisure battery would would be better ? Would go bigger but can't charge in van due to parking and don't do enough miles a day for a split charge relay to be beneficial

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

P = shut off pressure reached

L = Low battery voltage

U = under voltage and the controller will shut down at 10.3 vdc.

A 36 amp battery may sound ok for a days work but in time it will loose capacity. Judging by your description,  it would indicate that the battery is your problem.

A Shurflo pump will draw between 4.5 and 5.5 amps an hour. The higher the flow setting the more current the pump will demand. So slowing the pump down will reduce current demand and it could possibly be that the battery is just strong enough to sustain that demand at the lower flow.

Yes, you need a bigger battery - A 70 amp will do a single operator, but you will need the proper charger and you will need to charge it every night for battery longevity. Batteries don't like to go below 50% charge, and if they do they need to be recharged asap. So in reality a 70 amp battery only has a 35 amp capacity.

You mention you have replaced the hose on the hose reel but you didn't say what hose you are using. Microbore has a smaller inside diamt than minibore. The pump has the work harder pushing water through microbore. In this cold weather its even worse.

Now added to this is that in winter a battery isn't as efficient as it is in summer. Its colder so more 'sluggish.' I read once that a battery can loose up to 25% of its summer efficiency in winter, but there was no mention of the temperature extremes where is applies.

I’m getting well confused . On our van mount we have a varistream controller with a 100 psi shurflo pump . The pressure switch is disconnected . It works perfect . Now on the pure freedom nano trolley . It is a newer different controller with the pressure switch still connected to the pump . Can’t get as good a flow as the van mount , also there is sometimes a delay when I open the tap . Would it be better to disconnect the pressure switch . But pure freedom send them out like this ? Any advice . By the way I have recalibrated it on every setting . Just can’t get it right . 

Sorry, I did read this but was busy and forgot to reply.

Spring controllers recommend that the pressure switch is left in the circuit. But that isn't set in stone, They just add that as an extra precaution.

I would remove the p/s from the circuit and see if it makes a difference.

If the contacts in the microswitch are burnt, then a resistance at that point can mess with the controller. (resistance means voltage drop.)

I'm afraid we all have to put up with the 4 sec delay whether we use a Spring controller (in its many variants) or a Varistream. The hoses are cold now with cold water flowing through them and are much stiffer. As there is less expansion in the hose, we notice the delay more now than in summer. Sometimes that 4 seconds seems like eternity.

You can't change it.

Thanks for that as per usual well explained reply . I'm learning to live with the 4 second delay . It sometimes flows as I am washing the top frame so not so bad . Cheers 

New battery has made no difference. The hose is microbore so going to change that to minibore. Makes sense really as you say about the pump working harder with a smaller diameter hose. Going to rip the whole lot out next spring fit bigger tank and get things how I want them. On that note im off to the pub !

Changed hose to minibore this morning then did big commercial job. Noticed much improved flow at brush head, really cold outside and no problems like before. Hose seems a bit bulky but should get use to it.

Back