pump issues again!!

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by colinvansmith, Nov 21, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. I recently hooked up a new di vessel when i turned my pump on i could see that it wasnt drawing water from the tank although it was making all the correct noises etc. i recalibrated it and again it was making all the right noises but not pumpinng water. i unhooked my pump from the digital flow controler and hooked it straight to my battery at a lower level than my tank sits at it then pump water no bother and now seems to be working any ideas?

Few questions for you guys

1) sometimes my pump doesnt turn on straight away the pump, flow controller and wiring all seem to be fine any ideas

2) my pump currently sits at a level just above my tank is this two high

3) what does it mean by priming a pump i thouught the surflos were automatic

4) how is the pump affected if the water tank runs out of water

is there anyone who has a decent knowledge about the pumps can advise me as i have been plagued with problems with my pump since buying it but there doesnt seem to be any pattern to it

Advertisement
  2. charlie tapper

hi it sounds to me like your pump is not pulling the water the pump so poss an air block . i have the same prob sometimes water gets low then slushes around which pulls the water out of the pump then struggles to get it back in the pump when i turn it back on again, after filling it and leaving pump running it eventually after many attempts pulled the water threw and then started to flow again.
    i cant answer all questions and are only suggestions as i am not fully clued up my self .
    the pump is supposed to be fitted as low as possible i am not totally sure why tho but i have had this told to me.
    i shouldnt think it does the pump any good if the water tank runs out of water as it wont be pulling any water threw and burn out the pump.

sorry if reply is no good for you

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

Some pumps can run dry but as the above post states needs the water to help keep it cool (not sure how that works if your using heated water) Your pump may work better below the water level of the tank if you can fix it lower as it wont have to work as hard to draw water through.Never had a problem with the pump running after the water has ran out.

4. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Thats hard Col, wish i could help, but i aint no expert either!. For what its worth, in the 2.5 years ive been cleaning windows, ive never had pump problems apart from right at the start when i was just getting to grips with the set up. For a short time i had the di vessel between the tank and the pump and after changing the resin, i would have problems getting the pump to pick up the water again. But since i swapped positions, its been fine, touchwood!. All i do know is you should aim to have as short a hose as possible between the tank outlet and pump, preferably with no joins, as air might get in through them. With regards to the height your pump is mounted, i was not aware of any 'rules', though i suppose it makes sense to have it mounted low, and mine is mounted below the top of the tank. I have also heard that some pumps are not as good as others, but as you are refer to surflo, im assuming thats what you have. Im still using the same 100psi surflo i started with. As for drawing air, i have unintentionally done this a few times, but never suffered any problems. I switch off the pump asap, get some more water in, or drive up on to a kerb or something, to get all the water left in the tank down to the appropriate corner, and she fires up again fine!. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

5. RaH

RaH Guest

I'd be looking to the controller, Never used 1 in 9 yrs nor will I. Can you not remove it and try to run without it ?

Rob.

6. how many litres per minute does it pump when hooked straight to the battery. Does it not wear your pump out when it on and the water not flowing

7. nearlyclean

Supplier

it stops pumping when you stop the water flow and actually the pumps are designed to be run flat out.I had the same pump for about 18 months without a controller and is fine

8. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Yes, using a pump without a controller works fine, but you will go through heaps more water than you need. A pump without the controller will basically go flat out, or at its maximum flow rate, and while there is a valve, if you try to turn it down, the pump wont run properly. I started with a 1000 litre system, because thats what i was advised i needed by a local window cleaner, and indeed some days i would use at least 850 of that. Now, with a pump controller, i use a 500 litre tank, with no reduction in standard of cleaning and only on one of my days am i ever getting close to finishing it. So you can either use a pump without a controller, use heaps more water, need a bigger tank, have bigger van, and have bigger running costs than necessary, or have a pump controller!. Incidentally, all the controller is doing is reducing the voltage to the pump, which in turn reduces your water consumption. I am not saying that the controller isnt the problem, but i havnt had any problems whatsoever with mine in the 18months ive been using it, the guy who trained me has been using one without problems for 4 years, and the window cleaner who told me i would need a 1000 litre system?, well he now has also seen the light, and has gone down to a 650 litre system with a pump controller!. I use at least 35% less water, and my smaller van gives me 41mpg instead of the 29mpg i got from my old van, as far as im concerned, its a no brainer.

9. nearlyclean

Supplier

controller is a personally thing I manage to use about 180 l a day,I think turning the water off between windows and with experience you find you'll use less water.do the same amount of work 2 years ago I would use about 250 l. It's just one less thing to go wrong,mine broke and never got round to replace and now I know I don't really need it.using 6 mm hose against 8 mm seems to save me water as well and I only run a 4.5 l per minute pump but when this packs up I probably replace with a 2 or 3 l per minute. But I found the weakest link was the controller.just my personal experience
    did the problem get resovled?

10. Thanks guys i think i'll stick with the controller and pump, my vans only have payloads of 900kg's each is fitted with a 350 litre tank and that usually does at least one full day they are petrol lpg combo's which saves me a fortune on fuel as lpg is half the price of diesel so i don't fancy changing vans.

:)

Advertisement