Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump suddenly broke need help !!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The description on these PWM controllers are so misleading.

I bought a 20 amp controller to run a Shurflo pump I have in another application. It's similar to this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-9-60V-20A-Amp-Pulse-Width-Modulator-PWM-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller/402589033899?hash=item5dbc2d25ab:g:9JwAAOSwD75fZYek

The instructions say it has a continuous rating of 8amps. This one says 18 amps which doesn't seem right to me.
It is difficult to get one that actually works with the pumps current requirements. The additional problem the OP had was trying to get a replacement in the box! 

As others have said best to buy better more suitable kit unless you know how it all works and can solder etc...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those little pumps work just fine as long as their weak point is accounted for when setting them up. 

Their weakness, from our point of view, is the small microswitch inside the pressure switch. These pumps are made to work with faucets in caravans and the like and only operated a few times a day.  We have taken them and applied them to our trade where they are required to switch on and off maybe hundreds of times a day.  It's like taking a domestic vacuum cleaner and expecting it to do industrial work and wondering why it doesn't last.

The solution is, to either use a controller that can be calibrated to switch the pump off before the pressure switch activates, or wire it up using a 40amp auto relay to carry the switching current which is what destroys the small microswitch in the pump with repeated use.

To help reduce the weight of my PF trolley, I replaced the big Sureflo with one of these pumps a few years ago.  My trolley is used all day for 3-4 and occasionally 5 days a week.  At first I was going through a pump about every two months until I figured out what was going on with the help of the forums.  I went with the 40amp relay method as suggested by someone on the forum and I've had no issues since. Three years on and the last pump is still going strong. 

I think you're probably right. It was nearly the same price as the one you've sent me aswell. Is that the one you use ? What kind of battery would you recommend for it ? I think what's broken the pump might be the flow controller lever as I kept it on a low flow and it would stutter alot so I think it's damaged the pressure switch as it must have kept switching on and off constantly. Does this sound likely to you guys ?

Thanks for all the help
Stuttering/spulttering indicates a air lock whack it on full to push the airlock out, running a real low flow to save water is counter productive it takes you longer to clean and an insufficient rinse could cause poor results. 

I use the pump and controller on a PF installed system but not the exact pump board I use this battery https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/numax/xv31mf/

I'd really appreciate some links to some pumps and kits that you guys use if you can everyone.

Thanks
How do you work? i.e. a van mounted tank or a trolley type setup? If a trolley type then look at Gardiners backback at about £120 inc vat. If van mounted tank then the 'standard' pump is the Shurflo 100psi pump and a Spring pump speed controller like these: https://www.daqua.co.uk/pumps_controllers.htm pump and controller about £190 inc strainer and connectors. Plus you will need a leisure battery (12v lead acid 100Ah or more - Halfords or Eurocar parts (with discount code) - quickest). You will need a fuse to protect cable going to speed controller and then a way to recharge the battery each night.

Hope that helps?

How do you work? i.e. a van mounted tank or a trolley type setup? If a trolley type then look at Gardiners backback at about £120 inc vat. If van mounted tank then the 'standard' pump is the Shurflo 100psi pump and a Spring pump speed controller like these: https://www.daqua.co.uk/pumps_controllers.htm pump and controller about £190 inc strainer and connectors. Plus you will need a leisure battery (12v lead acid 100Ah or more - Halfords or Eurocar parts (with discount code) - quickest). You will need a fuse to protect cable going to speed controller and then a way to recharge the battery each night.

Hope that helps?
Someone mentioned a Shurflo 100psi pump before so I think I'm gonna go with that. Was just looking for batteries on the Halfords site with 100ah but there doesn't seem to be any ? Can you link one because none seems to be over 85ah.

Thanks

Someone mentioned a Shurflo 100psi pump before so I think I'm gonna go with that. Was just looking for batteries on the Halfords site with 100ah but there doesn't seem to be any ? Can you link one because none seems to be over 85ah.

Thanks
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/leisure-batteries/ is the page. I would go for the HLB700 as it's 100Ah and it's a Class B which is mid range sort of. they have 2 year guarantee and should be easy to exchange if there is an issue (probably best not to mention it's for windy use ? ).

Controller wise better to go with the V16 as it has slightly better controller and  reverse polarity protection in case you connect it up wrong way round!

Hope that helps?
How exactly would I charge the battery then ?

I'd really appreciate some links to some pumps and kits that you guys use if you can everyone.

Thanks
I already linked a mounted kit a few days ago, if you don't have much of clue how to set up and mount a pump and controller then a pre mounted one is best then all you need to do is mount the set up on a board or ply lining maybe over the wheel arch of your van for example. 

Also you need hose to run from the tank outlet to the pump inlet and then from the pump outlet to your hose reel, Halfords batteries are ok but they will fail before the warranty is up. 

Yeah that's the one I've decided to get but does it have a port where you can actually insert a charger is all I'm asking ? as that's what my old one had.

Thanks
The wiring from the controller needs connecting to a leisure battery, it may come with crocodile clips so you can connect to the battery to power the controller and pump,  you will also need to buy a battery charger which Halfords sell if you are buying a battery from there make sure you buy a suitable charger. 

Brilliant found a charger on the Halfords site that uses crocodile clips that should do the job. Just to let you all know aswell back to the original problem I discovered it was a broken solder joint on the speed controller on closer inspection. Not sure how it could have happened but it's probably because its low quality equipment as someone said earlier. Anyway I've soldered the joint back together and now it's all working fine again so I'm gonna put this one down as solved. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in future. Thanks for all the great advice and comments you've all been really helpful and I'll definitely be upgrading to the Shurflo pump.

Cheers everyone

Brilliant found a charger on the Halfords site that uses crocodile clips that should do the job. Just to let you all know aswell back to the original problem I discovered it was a broken solder joint on the speed controller on closer inspection. Not sure how it could have happened but it's probably because its low quality equipment as someone said earlier. Anyway I've soldered the joint back together and now it's all working fine again so I'm gonna put this one down as solved. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in future. Thanks for all the great advice and comments you've all been really helpful and I'll definitely be upgrading to the Shurflo pump.

Cheers everyone
Great that you solved it plus you learned a few things.

Hi 

Sorry to open this up again but could any of you tell me what this is please ? I know it's a diode but not sure what kind or anything so can't buy a replacement. Thanks 

IMG_20210208_225404.jpg

They are resistors. The colours indicate the ohms value. Do a search on resistor colour codes. One thing to note is you need at least the same power rating or more. Generally power rating isn't written in the colour code but you can guess by physical size if in doubt go bigger wattage. 

I assume it's the speed selection on a basic pump controller? 

I did a colour code check and I think it's 510 ohm as it's green brown brown. So do I just buy a 510 resistor ? Yes it's for the speed controller.
Looks like it is 510 ohms. If you have a multimeter you can check the others.

I assume you can see a damages one? The speed controller should work in positions before the broken component. 

Resistors should be less than £1 for a few on ebay so worth a try. 

Personally I would be inclined to get a better speed controller with dead end detection etc mainly just so you have something that is reliable as when it fails it will probably cost you at least a day's work. 

If its a backup or a short term fix try a new resistor. 

Back