Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure Water Filter Setup / Storage (HELP) Please :)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

FD760

I am looking to setup a small start water fed window cleaning round.

I've purchased my Big Boy backpack system and 22' Pole/Brush.

The only thing I am struggling with at the moment is producing pure water. I am in the North West and the water here is around 300PPM, What is the best/cheapest method to produce my own pure water?

I am looking at for now just driving to a Spotless Water Filling Station to begin with and filling a tank in my van, its around a 15mile drive there.

Is it legal to carry a 1000L tank filled with water in terms of weight? I drive a Vito Van. I was just going to keep the tank filled in the van and then fill my backpack/jerry cans each time it needed topping up.

How many litres would you expect to use on a standard 2/3 bedroom house front & back?

I am just trying to work out the costs travelling to fill up and cleaning windows for now, I know its not the most cost effective method but it's just whilst I get started and figure a way to purify my own water :)

You get about 2 average size houses done with a back pack, would be very tine consuming with only that. The trolleys that have more water aren't exactly light to get moving with though.

For storage I have 2 1000 litre ibc tote tanks out the back garden that I pump water from into the tank in the van.

As a guess the Vito has a payload of around 1050 kg depending on model,so filling a 1000 lbc you will definitely be well over weight with other stuff in the van , also how are you securing the tank ? Use the search bar at the top for of info about safely securing tanks

As a guess the Vito has a payload of around 1050 kg depending on model,so filling a 1000 lbc you will definitely be well over weight with other stuff in the van , also how are you securing the tank ? Use the search bar at the top for of info about safely securing tanks

I have 2 ibc totes in my back garden, I fill them with pure water. Then pump the water into the tank in my van, I'm not driving about with an ibc tote tank lol

You get about 2 average size houses done with a back pack, would be very tine consuming with only that. The trolleys that have more water aren't exactly light to get moving with though.

For storage I have 2 1000 litre ibc tote tanks out the back garden that I pump water from into the tank in the van.
I think 2 average houses out of a backpack is pushing it.
Are you talking about 3 bedroom semi’s?

I have 2 ibc totes in my back garden, I fill them with pure water. Then pump the water into the tank in my van, I'm not driving about with an ibc tote tank lol
What pump and transfer hose do you use from tanks to van? I'm just trying to switch my setup and bought a sub pump but on first use the hose kinks and restricted the flow/made it intermittent. Pump too powerful or dodgy hose? Not sure but any recommendations for transfer hose would be appreciated...

I am looking to setup a small start water fed window cleaning round.

I've purchased my Big Boy backpack system and 22' Pole/Brush.

The only thing I am struggling with at the moment is producing pure water. I am in the North West and the water here is around 300PPM, What is the best/cheapest method to produce my own pure water?

I am looking at for now just driving to a Spotless Water Filling Station to begin with and filling a tank in my van, its around a 15mile drive there.

Is it legal to carry a 1000L tank filled with water in terms of weight? I drive a Vito Van. I was just going to keep the tank filled in the van and then fill my backpack/jerry cans each time it needed topping up.

How many litres would you expect to use on a standard 2/3 bedroom house front & back?

I am just trying to work out the costs travelling to fill up and cleaning windows for now, I know its not the most cost effective method but it's just whilst I get started and figure a way to purify my own water :)
I'm a daily backpack user. I use it on full power always and find that I get about 15 minutes - 20 minutes solid use before i run out. I can normally get a 3 bed semi done comfortably, but two would be pushing it. I use the Gardiner backpack.

What pump and transfer hose do you use from tanks to van? I'm just trying to switch my setup and bought a sub pump but on first use the hose kinks and restricted the flow/made it intermittent. Pump too powerful or dodgy hose? Not sure but any recommendations for transfer hose would be appreciated...

Got 1 of these in each of the totes.

Have 30 metre of pond pump hose to run it to the van. It still comes out at a very cast pace

I'm a daily backpack user. I use it on full power always and find that I get about 15 minutes - 20 minutes solid use before i run out. I can normally get a 3 bed semi done comfortably, but two would be pushing it. I use the Gardiner backpack.
Hi Bart90

Just been reading up on some posts trying to find an answer. I started about 2 months ago using the facelift big boy backpack and pole.
Not sure if I am doing wrong but of the 2 on switches I usually use the side where you can adjust the flow. I just can't seem to go fast enough and/or save water.
I did an 8 window/glass door house today, took me the best part of 45 minutes (I did have to walk around the terrace to get to the back which didn't help) and probably used up 25 litres. It was a first clean but nothing more than cobwebs and spiders nests.
I know I need to fit a univalve but when I've tried pinching the hose, all it does is blow apart at the backpack/hose connection.
I feel like I'm missing something and at best the 100 litres I'm able to purify at a time (a work in progress at the moment) are going to do me a maximum of 4 houses.
My question I guess to you or anybody else, how the heck does someone with a backpack get quicker (without getting a van ?) and preserve water?

Ta

Hi Bart90

Just been reading up on some posts trying to find an answer. I started about 2 months ago using the facelift big boy backpack and pole.
Not sure if I am doing wrong but of the 2 on switches I usually use the side where you can adjust the flow. I just can't seem to go fast enough and/or save water.
I did an 8 window/glass door house today, took me the best part of 45 minutes (I did have to walk around the terrace to get to the back which didn't help) and probably used up 25 litres. It was a first clean but nothing more than cobwebs and spiders nests.
I know I need to fit a univalve but when I've tried pinching the hose, all it does is blow apart at the backpack/hose connection.
I feel like I'm missing something and at best the 100 litres I'm able to purify at a time (a work in progress at the moment) are going to do me a maximum of 4 houses.
My question I guess to you or anybody else, how the heck does someone with a backpack get quicker (without getting a van ?) and preserve water?

Ta
I started with a backpack (Gardiners). First cleans probably take twice as much water and twice as much time as maintenance cleans. Speed will come with experience, tyring to go too fast will just produce poor results which you don't want.
If the connections are blowing apart when you pinch the hose then either the Big Boy doesn't have a pressure switch to cut the pump when the hose is pinched or your connectors are not right. What connectors are you using? Hozeloc or rectus? A picy might help.

As requested ?. It all came together from window cleaning warehouse.
View attachment 28786
The hozeloc fitting should be fine with reasonable pressure. I assume it's not the black hose popping off the pink fitting is it as most people have an o clip to firmly fix the hose on.
One minor thing, it might not be a great idea to use a bungie to hold 30kg onto a trolley. Use something more secure like a little ratchet strap or Tie down straps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The hozeloc fitting should be fine with reasonable pressure. I assume it's not the black hose popping off the pink fitting is it as most people have an o clip to firmly fix the hose on.
One minor thing, it might not be a great idea to use a bungie to hold 30kg onto a trolley. Use something more secure like a little ratchet strap or Tie down straps.
It's the pink and the orange fitting coming apart. Yea, the bungie is temporary, along with a lot of other parts to my set up at the moment ?. Thank you

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If it's the pink and orange disconnecting then they are not connecting properly. Take the pink bit out and double check the o ring is intact and there is no debris around the male part. Double check the hozelock (orange part) is clean of debris the collar slides and all 2 or 3 claws inside it are intact.

Those connectors should easily take the pressure from a backpack pump.

Hi Bart90

Ta
IMO trying to save water is a mistake. Max flow on backpack is max speed as i work as fast as the backpack delivers if you get me. That does come with years of practice though so just keep going and you'll get better. That said turning the flow down a bit while you master your technique won't do any harm. A univalve is absolutely essential. First cleans will 100% take you much longer though. Using 25L of water on a first clean even just for 8 windows doesn't sound too excessive to me. See how long it takes you next time and report back. Best of luck.

Latest Posts

Back