Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

francie

I used to work for a company few years ago who had the whole setup in van,all i had to do was put tap water into the tank an it went through the system an pure out the brush.
I only seen one pump in the van so my question is,did the system only require one pump to push the tap water through?

I mostly had the controller at 60 so im wondering how did it produce the pure effectivley whenever the ro requires more psi than 60?
an also im wondering did the pump push through the ro an di or pull it through,i never checked lol
My tds fluctuates between 80 an 140,i will always fill at house tho i just want to streamline production as it was less hassle than filling a tank then transferring
Thanks in advance

I used to work for a company few years ago who had the whole setup in van,all i had to do was put tap water into the tank an it went through the system an pure out the brush.
I only seen one pump in the van so my question is,did the system only require one pump to push the tap water through?

I mostly had the controller at 60 so im wondering how did it produce the pure effectivley whenever the ro requires more psi than 60?
an also im wondering did the pump push through the ro an di or pull it through,i never checked lol
My tds fluctuates between 80 an 140,i will always fill at house tho i just want to streamline production as it was less hassle than filling a tank then transferring
Thanks in advance
Setting your controller at 60 has nothing to do with pressure (psi). 60 is the flow rate, broken up into 100 sections where 1 is very slow and 100 is full motor speed. It's confusing because a Shurflo pump is set at the factory to cut out at 100psi. Earlier Shurflo pumps were set at 65psi. You could still run that pump at a flow rate of 100, although not very successfully.

When you were running the system, you had a tap water supply, but what happened to the waste?

Many years ago there was a Youtube video showing a 12v Shurflo pump delivering water to a 4040 and the pure output being used to clean the windows. I seem to remember they got a flow of 1.5lpm of pure. My 4040 uses about 4.5 litres of tap water a minute to produce a little less than 2 lpm of pure. So it's doable.

This way of working is acceptable in America with a window cleaner connecting up to the customer's outside tap, using the outside drain and using the customer's electricity to run a 110v booster pump. Some have a rather small tank in their vans and also use a customer's water to top up their tanks in the van.

I was all over the nw of Ireland so i couldnt go back to belfast to fill up with pure thats why it had that certain system
Setting your controller at 60 has nothing to do with pressure (psi). 60 is the flow rate, broken up into 100 sections where 1 is very slow and 100 is full motor speed. It's confusing because a Shurflo pump is set at the factory to cut out at 100psi. Earlier Shurflo pumps were set at 65psi. You could still run that pump at a flow rate of 100, although not very successfully.

When you were running the system, you had a tap water supply, but what happened to the waste?
Thank you for the reply spruce,i dont actually know it must have run out under the van somewhere i didnt notice,im wondering now tho lol

I was all over the nw of Ireland so i couldnt go back to belfast to fill up with pure thats why it had that certain system

Thank you for the reply spruce,i dont actually know it must have run out under the van somewhere i didnt notice,im wondering now tho lol
You would have had to connect to a customer's tap. You would have parked your van on hard ground/tarmac, so you would have noticed waste water running everywhere. At best, a 4040 r/o will produce say 2 litres of pure and over 2 litres of waste water in any given minute. If it takes 20 litres to clean a 3 bed semi, then that 25 litres of waste is going to be very noticeable.

You would also have had an r/o on board, usually a tube 21" or 40" inches long and 4" in diameter.

There was a cleaning business that was based in Newcastle Upon Tyne, and they cleaned council property for Redcar and Cleveland council. They used to fill their tanks with tap water at the council's depot and were cleaning on demand with purified water from onboard DI vessels. Often the resin in their di vessels was spent, and they were just cleaning with 150ppm tap water, but no one cared.

I spoke to one 'cleaner' who had just finished cleaning a local library and was sitting in his van at lunchtime. I pointed out all the dried watermarks on the windows he had just cleaned. He just shrugged his shoulders.

If your water in Ireland was soft, then it would be using a di vessel only.

@Pjj has some big commercial jobs they have to couple up to their customers water supply to replenish the water in their tank as they clean with on board r/o's. They have to park near a water source (tap) and a drain to 'dispose' of the waste water.

Spruce i was an industrial cleaner doing care homes,fire stations,retail shops,big flats etc it was an on board ro to di vessel mate, it was a 11 litre di, i didnt have to change it,funny enough i wasnt supplied with a tds meter i went an bought it myself,one of the superviors was coming behind me checking when i started,he met up with me after three months to check van etc an i told him the tds was six an he said crack on.
he then changed it three months later when inspecting the van again an thats how it went mate

Spruce i was an industrial cleaner doing care homes,fire stations,retail shops,big flats etc it was an on board ro to di vessel mate, it was a 11 litre di, i didnt have to change it,funny enough i wasnt supplied with a tds meter i went an bought it myself,one of the superviors was coming behind me checking when i started,he met up with me after three months to check van etc an i told him the tds was six an he said crack on.
he then changed it three months later when inspecting the van again an thats how it went mate

Latest Posts

Back