Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question about conservatory roofs...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just do as described, with cold water. We only use purefied, heated water for the final glass rinse down.
Is there anything off the shelves I could buy before Saturday? To spray on the roofs first. That cleaner off Amazon said it had 5 hours left for next day delivery but now says it's gone ?. So wondering if there's anything I could buy from Halfords or b and q or anything that I could cover the roof in on Saturday before I get some proper stuff . If m really worried about causing any reaction to the poly roof or any discolouring ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything off the shelves I could buy before Saturday? To spray on the roofs first. That cleaner off Amazon said it had 5 hours left for next day delivery but now says it's gone ?. So wondering if there's anything I could buy from Halfords or b and q or anything that I could cover the roof in on Saturday before I get some proper stuff . If m really worried about causing any reaction to the poly roof or any discolouring ?
I've only ever used Chemex Superplus and Fairy Liquid.

Screwfix sell degreaser which says it's OK on plastic and glass. I haven't used it myself but I have read others use it for first cleans. Might be worth looking at if you have a screwfix locally to you. Toolstation might do some?

For this lichen and similar marks; buy a tucker brush DuPont.

gardiner super-lite is also good as there is a compact density of bristles but tucker ones are just turbo fast at cleaning these marks off.

we keep one in each van for this sort of thing and really applied solar panels.

well worth the premium paid and could be a worthwhile consideration for this sort of specific issue if you come across it a lot. 

Screwfix sell degreaser which says it's OK on plastic and glass. I haven't used it myself but I have read others use it for first cleans. Might be worth looking at if you have a screwfix locally to you. Toolstation might do some?
Yeh just bought some so will pick it up tommorrow. Was £9 and got alot of good reviews and says the degreaser is good for plastics and glass so hopefully will do a good enough job for Saturday. 

I've got to be honest, it sounds like you have no experience of any window cleaning equipment or products, how do you actually manage to do it for a job if you don't know anything about anything.. I know that sounds harsh and quite abrupt but it does seem to be the most honest observation. I don't think you should be doing conservatory roofs until you are perfectly clear on the correct equipment, the correct detergents and their safety guidance and the best process as I think you may do some damage that could end up being costly. 

I don't do conservatory roofs anymore. If they ask me I tell them they are better off having the damn thing demolished and having a proper extention built.

Having said that, on the rare occasion that I do start a conservatory roof clean, I would recommend using bio washing powder, that's fantastic at bringing it back to white. 

My starting price is £350.. so I don't get much asking now..It's a good job really...i'd happily demolish the thing for free..?

I've got to be honest, it sounds like you have no experience of any window cleaning equipment or products, how do you actually manage to do it for a job if you don't know anything about anything.. I know that sounds harsh and quite abrupt but it does seem to be the most honest observation. I don't think you should be doing conservatory roofs until you are perfectly clear on the correct equipment, the correct detergents and their safety guidance and the best process as I think you may do some damage that could end up being costly. 
To be fair mate went great and customer is very happy. As have all my customers. Been going 4 months and 147 customers a month now and only lost 1 so far....

As much as I understand what your saying, conservatory roof cleaning isn't rocket science. I ask alot of questions so I don't damage someone's roof, and that's why I'm here asking so I can learn and do a professional job......ever heard of the phrase 'theres no stupid question? 

My customer this morning was extremely happy with there roof and all it took was my wfp and some pink stuff and elbow grease.....1.5 hours and £100 in back pocket. I think I'll keep doing things my way if you don't mind as it seems to be working for me. Having said that I value everyone's opinion on this board and always take time to reflect. 

Thanks

Pics from this morning....

IMG-20200905-WA0002.jpeg

IMG_20200905_091753.jpg

To be fair mate went great and customer is very happy. As have all my customers. Been going 4 months and 147 customers a month now and only lost 1 so far....

As much as I understand what your saying, conservatory roof cleaning isn't rocket science. I ask alot of questions so I don't damage someone's roof, and that's why I'm here asking so I can learn and do a professional job......ever heard of the phrase 'theres no stupid question? 

My customer this morning was extremely happy with there roof and all it took was my wfp and some pink stuff and elbow grease.....1.5 hours and £100 in back pocket. I think I'll keep doing things my way if you don't mind as it seems to be working for me. Having said that I value everyone's opinion on this board and always take time to reflect. 

Thanks

Pics from this morning....

View attachment 21762

View attachment 21763
I never doubted your finished article from this morning, I was merely stating the questions you were asking didn't fill me with Confidence that you should even be touching windows let alone a conservatory roof. 

And yes, cleaning a conservatory roof isn't rocket science but the suggestion of strapping washing up brushes to your pole actually makes it sound like it may be as distant as rocket science for you. 

You are right, that learning is part of it but like I said with 147 customers and the question you were asking, should have been asked as part of your research before you gained 147 customers...

Again this is only my opinion and you should definitely just treat it as that, just winds me up when people act first then ask questions later. 

But you carry on not having a clue about any chemicals, processes and strapping washing up brushes to the end of your pole. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I never doubted your finished article from this morning, I was merely stating the questions you were asking didn't fill me with Confidence that you should even be touching windows let alone a conservatory roof. 

And yes, cleaning a conservatory roof isn't rocket science but the suggestion of strapping washing up brushes to your pole actually makes it sound like it may be as distant as rocket science for you. 

You are right, that learning is part of it but like I said with 147 customers and the question you were asking, should have been asked as part of your research before you gained 147 customers...

Again this is only my opinion and you should definitely just treat it as that, just winds me up when people act first then ask questions later. 

But you carry on not having a clue about any chemicals, processes and strapping washing up brushes to the end of your pole. 
Like I said...I've asked questions about chemicals on here and what abrasives I should or should not use because I respect people's opinions on here, and I want to learn. 

How do you expect someone to learn until they ask? 

Like I said...I've asked questions about chemicals on here and what abrasives I should or should not use because I respect people's opinions on here, and I want to learn. 

How do you expect someone to learn until they ask? 
No problem whatsoever with anyone asking things and learning, perhaps it may be more prudent in the future to seek the answers before the task, after all conservatory roofs aren't cheap.... Can't put yourself into a public forum and spit the dummy out at a truthful and observational reply. Alas however, if I'm honest had I known how tiresome the back and forth would have been I'd have just kept my mouth shut and let you strap two washing up brushes to your pole. 

No problem whatsoever with anyone asking things and learning, perhaps it may be more prudent in the future to seek the answers before the task, after all conservatory roofs aren't cheap.... Can't put yourself into a public forum and spit the dummy out at a truthful and observational reply. Alas however, if I'm honest had I known how tiresome the back and forth would have been I'd have just kept my mouth shut and let you strap two washing up brushes to your pole. 
Ok

Back