Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quotes for Customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks Jango for your Reply . I def get that pole then with a couple of you guys suggesting it . I get both pencil and fan try and get use to both of them . It does help so much to get peoples thoughts . Especially when you just starting up . Thanks again 
You will get the help you need on here. Really lovely helpful people. I Vw learned so much on here. Always helpful. 
Hope all goes well for you. 
your right to get both. With the new jet capsules you can swap them so easy now. 

You will get the help you need on here. Really lovely helpful people. I Vw learned so much on here. Always helpful. 
Hope all goes well for you. 
your right to get both. With the new jet capsules you can swap them so easy now. 
I have a look on the site . I have learnt more in last 2 hours than I ever thought I would.  Just asking about 1 thing can lead to so much about the job . Amazing 

Thanks Mate what Company sell that Brush that's just come out . Yeah there is so much Divide in Poles and Brushes . I did read with the Fan it has to be close to the window and you can rinse as you go so will save you water 
I probably wouldn't start out with as wide a brush as 35cm. Treat the agitation process and the rinse process as two separate processes or you will have problems with dirt being left behind on the glass. I have a short video of my technique on YouTube : 100 degree fan jets in action. The devil is in the detail to get it right. From start to finish the brush never leaves the window. Every bit of the frames and glass gets brushed over at least three times with a fairly high flow rate. There is no need to scrub unless there is dried in dirt or bird muck. Lightly, thoroughly and quickly does it. There's no need to wear a hole in the glass or to kill the brush. Let the bristles do the work. You're generally only washing off a bit of dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to cut the bristles away a bit, when using the jets. It tells you on Gardiner website, that’s why you haven’t got on with them with the flocked. That’s the brush I’ve got them on and like. 
mots so true many different opinions, that’s why you have to try everything for yourself. I’m tempted by that new brush you speak about. But these last 6 months I’ve bought 4 new brushes, I’m getting like you always spending???
So that's how the fan jets didn't work. I only use the old sill brush for pvc cleans now. Gardiner is bringing out a 35cm extreme sill brush which should be an all round winner in the future. I have 5 poles now and 7 brushes but only really use 2 poles and two tepertape 35cm brushes now because nothing comes close in speed and result. fwiw

I probably wouldn't start out with as wide a brush as 35cm. Treat the agitation process and the rinse process as two separate processes or you will have problems with dirt being left behind on the glass. I have a short video of my technique on YouTube : 100 degree fan jets in action. The devil is in the detail to get it right. From start to finish the brush never leaves the window. Every bit of the frames and glass gets brushed over at least three times with a fairly high flow rate. There is no need to scrub unless there is dried in dirt or bird muck. Lightly, thoroughly and quickly does it. There's no need to wear a hole in the glass or to kill the brush. You're generally only washing off a bit of dust.
I see what you mean I just watched the video .the brush never comes away 

I see what you mean I just watched the video .the brush never comes away 
There are a few yt videos that show the difference between the jet types, including one by Alex Gardiner, a former window cleaner who is now the main pole and brush designer/supplier in the UK. I'd suggest concentrate more on what you can see than on the comments.

Until a 2 weeks for 12 years I had used pencil jets and used the smallest I could get my hands on even 1mm welding tips and because of what some people had said in the past about fan jets been no good and having issues and stuck with my pencil jets until @Davy G convinced me otherwise, straight off I took to using x2 50 degree fan jets these currently are ideal for me as I do a fair amount of work on new build housing estates which are still developing so I am cautious about having too much water potentially bringing a lot of dust and dirt off the window reveals which might be an issue and ongoing for sometime I could be wrong who knows ?

benefits of using fan jets at the right flow are a faster rinse with a higher flow but also I am using a bit less water some days depends on the jobs new builds or not, the fan jets give a less powerful into trickle vents due to there spray pattern which is also a bonus as you can blast the dirt out without water going through the vents into the inside of a window which is what can happen with pencil jets. 

To answer the authors question I do give some prices face to face if it's a walk up whilst I am out working, but as most of my work comes through Fb then whatsApp and email I archive the chats so everything is saved Fb saves the chats forever if you mark the chat as done WhatsApp you have to tap on the 3 dots to get the option to archive the chat as for emails I do eventually delete them

Until a 2 weeks for 12 years I had used pencil jets and used the smallest I could get my hands on even 1mm welding tips and because of what some people had said in the past about fan jets been no good and having issues and stuck with my pencil jets until @Davy G convinced me otherwise, straight off I took to using x2 50 degree fan jets these currently are ideal for me as I do a fair amount of work on new build housing estates which are still developing so I am cautious about having too much water potentially bringing a lot of dust and dirt off the window reveals which might be an issue and ongoing for sometime I could be wrong who knows ?

benefits of using fan jets at the right flow are a faster rinse with a higher flow but also I am using a bit less water some days depends on the jobs new builds or not, the fan jets give a less powerful into trickle vents due to there spray pattern which is also a bonus as you can blast the dirt out without water going through the vents into the inside of a window which is what can happen with pencil jets. 

To answer the authors question I do give some prices face to face if it's a walk up whilst I am out working, but as most of my work comes through Fb then whatsApp and email I archive the chats so everything is saved Fb saves the chats forever if you mark the chat as done WhatsApp you have to tap on the 3 dots to get the option to archive the chat as for emails I do eventually delete them
Hi thanks for your Reply . Yeah the guy I worked with he said that's the only thing with Pencil Jets on a high Flow check to make sure the water has not gone inside and keep away from the vents if they look ok dont brush them . My Area will be hardly any New Builds . On one video the guy said the other problem with fan jets is the noise it creates on the window . But again I think it's what you said about getting the flow right . It's all learning.  I worry when I see More water on the inside the window than outside  then I know I am doing something wrong ?

Hi thanks for your Reply . Yeah the guy I worked with he said that's the only thing with Pencil Jets on a high Flow check to make sure the water has not gone inside and keep away from the vents if they look ok dont brush them . My Area will be hardly any New Builds . On one video the guy said the other problem with fan jets is the noise it creates on the window . But again I think it's what you said about getting the flow right . It's all learning.  I worry when I see More water on the inside the window than outside  then I know I am doing something wrong ?
Anyone who says stay away from vents is wrong give them a thorough clean first time and maintain there cleanliness each time just like the rest of the window this is by far the best way, of course there will be some expectations I have some that look ready to fall out and crumble before your eyes with the slightest touch so these I tend to just give these a rinse and not put the brush anywhere near them it's a trail and error thing with certain jobs. 

Anyone who says stay away from vents is wrong give them a thorough clean first time and maintain there cleanliness each time just like the rest of the window this is by far the best way, of course there will be some expectations I have some that look ready to fall out and crumble before your eyes with the slightest touch so these I tend to just give these a rinse and not put the brush anywhere near them it's a trail and error thing with certain jobs. 
Ok I do that . See this is where u learn on here .everytime I went near them or touched them . I got told you are to close they are fine they dont need to be cleaned . I did think why am I cleaning all the window apart from the vent . I watched darren on Green Pro and he said clean all the dirt away give it a good brush . Just check the water has not gone inside.  But If it has the vent is  defective . 

Ok I do that . See this is where u learn on here .everytime I went near them or touched them . I got told you are to close they are fine they dont need to be cleaned . I did think why am I cleaning all the window apart from the vent . I watched darren on Green Pro and he said clean all the dirt away give it a good brush . Just check the water has not gone inside.  But If it has the vent is  defective . 
Quite a number of houses built in the last 10 years the water will potentially go inside on a first clean it's almost unavoidable as the vents have got cheaper and more flimsy over the years with house builders penny pinching

I keep all this this does help a lot . This is all I have been doing is picking people brains and watching you tube videos . These forums really help with guys with years of experience . Helps the Newbies thanks again . I will pick your brain one more time sorry . What pole do you think is the best around at moment and do you use pencil jets or fan spray . 
I have just invested in my first wfp. After a lot of research I opted for the ova8 pole. Great design and I'm really happy with it. Take a look on the streamline website. Give them a call and speak to Ziggy; he is really switched on and they are a great company to deal with.

John

I have just invested in my first wfp. After a lot of research I opted for the ova8 pole. Great design and I'm really happy with it. Take a look on the streamline website. Give them a call and speak to Ziggy; he is really switched on and they are a great company to deal with.

John
Thanks John i have a look . Good luck as well 

Thanks John i have a look . Good luck as well 
That's ok. I'm still mainly trad but decided to invest in the wfp ova8, the unger hydropower s and the bigboy backpack. I've been running my window cleaning business for nearly 8 years now and still loving it. No pressure and I have a great customer base. It's a happy business to be in. 

Good luck.

John

mupps said:
That's ok. I'm still mainly trad but decided to invest in the wfp ova8, the unger hydropower s and the bigboy backpack. I've been running my window cleaning business for nearly 8 years now and still loving it. No pressure and I have a great customer base. It's a happy business to be in.

John

Good luck.

John
Thanks as I said earlier I could not stand office work anymore . people telling me I am 5 min late after dropping kids off at school running to the train jumping on the train rushing in  . As your work colleagues look at the clock as it says 9.35 and telling u . The boss has just been in 6 min ago to see who was in  . Never have a day of sick for nearly 3 years straight and no.pay rise just a email to say well done . No more of that . And yeah I have ordered a big boy Backpack . Think it's useful to have in some areas . Thanks again 

Hi Mark, people sometimes get strange ideas in their heads and close their minds to new or different things. There are various reasons for this. Sometimes it's because they feel secure with the familiar. Sometimes they worry about trying something different. Sometimes they don't give a different way a fair trial and get to grips with it. Sometimes it's pride or stubbornness. Sometimes it's because the way they are already doing things suits them perfectly and they don't feel the need for change. Good for them. Long live diversity. ?

I like to think differently about things, make my own decisions and try different approaches. I coach sea kayaking to a very high standard. I use my own, free thinking, home brew developed methods and techniques, very successfully. Less than ten percent of the kayaking instruction videos by so called experts on YT are correct and I'm sorry to say it's the same for WFP. There are some good ones. For example Squeeky Clean Dave is a gem and a gentleman.

The worry about water getting in through the vents : over the last few years, I've occasionally seen a few drops get through. Never more than a few drops and only on the first (intense) wash. No big deal. I've been able to see it and stop washing out the vent. I get right in amongst it on the first wash. Subsequent washes the vents just get a quick wash out or over.

Jet noise : Again, no big deal. I like the sound of the jets fizzing. It shows that work is going on. The same as when someone is using a jet washer on a car or drive. Though nowhere near as loud of course. About the same volume as a firework sparkler. I can see from the customers that they are impressed with the equipment we use and the sound it makes. It's something different. Sometimes I think people are afraid of their own shadow. ?

Embrace the fizz my friend. ??

Hi Mark, people sometimes get strange ideas in their heads and close their minds to new or different things. There are various reasons for this. Sometimes it's because they feel secure with the familiar. Sometimes they worry about trying something different. Sometimes they don't give a different way a fair trial and get to grips with it. Sometimes it's pride or stubbornness. Sometimes it's because the way they are already doing things suits them perfectly and they don't feel the need for change. Good for them. Long live diversity. ?

I like to think differently about things, make my own decisions and try different approaches. I coach sea kayaking to a very high standard. I use my own, free thinking, home brew developed methods and techniques, very successfully. Less than ten percent of the kayaking instruction videos by so called experts on YT are correct and I'm sorry to say it's the same for WFP. There are some good ones. For example Squeeky Clean Dave is a gem and a gentleman.

The worry about water getting in through the vents : over the last few years, I've occasionally seen a few drops get through. Never more than a few drops and only on the first (intense) wash. No big deal. I've been able to see it and stop washing out the vent. I get right in amongst it on the first wash. Subsequent washes the vents just get a quick wash out or over.

Jet noise : Again, no big deal. I like the sound of the jets fizzing. It shows that work is going on. The same as when someone is using a jet washer on a car or drive. Though nowhere near as loud of course. About the same volume as a firework sparkler. I can see from the customers that they are impressed with the equipment we use and the sound it makes. It's something different. Sometimes I think people are afraid of their own shadow. ?

Embrace the fizz my friend. ??
Are fan jets ok for rinsing when doing gfs cleans ?. How do  you determine what angle fan jets you need , I see they come with several options ?.. 

Are fan jets ok for rinsing when doing gfs cleans ?. How do  you determine what angle fan jets you need , I see they come with several options ?.. 
We find the 100s perfect for everything, Paul, including the gfs. They fan the full width of the brush and put the water density exactly where we want it. In the immediate and near vicinity of the brush. 50s are good too but the 100s get my vote. We won't entertain anything else, including rinse bars.

We find the 100s perfect for everything, Paul, including the gfs. They fan the full width of the brush and put the water density exactly where we want it. In the immediate and near vicinity of the brush. 50s are good too but the 100s get my vote. We won't entertain anything else, including rinse bars.
I tried fan jets years ago hated them found they sprayed water everywhere, are the newer ones better ? I have tried rinse bars and again don’t  like them at all , we have 2mm pencils on all brushes and like them , are you saying with the fans that you rinse on the glass and it puts water above the brush ? So you can sort of clean and rinse at the same time ?  

Latest Posts

Back