Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rain and windows getting dirty

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How heavy do you let it get Steve? 
Don’t work if it’s really heavy.

I bought a pvc jacket about a year ago, I wear that in normal rain.

Blimey, the wife’s just put the tv on itv. Carol vorderman, wouldn’t mind slipping that a length ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell them it’s all a bit of a myth really. Then explain that rain only marks windows that are already dusty! Rain itself is pretty much pure water falling from the heavens, so if it falls on the windows straight after my clean it won’t mark them! 

That's why @spruceshouldn't wash windows when it's raining and a westerly wind, get all the  :1f4a9: from ICI Wilton, or whatever it's called now 

I'm not sure ICI was/is a problem tbh. British Steel and Tata were the problem. The blast furnace was supposed to have dust catchers on the 'chimney' but the number of times we saw clouds of red dust asending meant those catchers didn't work often. That settled down on our window cleaning area. The issue stopped when British Steel closed but started again when Tata started up again. Now its all mainly dormant we don't seem to have an issue with that atm.

Sahara sand also effects us but I'm sure most of the east side of the UK suffers from that. We got a dumping on about 10 days ago.

We have an oily residue that gets blown in off the Tees bay. They say it comes from the ship's exhausts as they wait for a berth to load/unload at Teesport. We also have salt spray that's carried into a few miles inland and deposited on our customer's north facing windows.

We have the main Boulby saltmines railwayline that runs down the coast. The closer our customers are to the line the worse their windows are. The salt dust seems to damage the plastic window frames. It leaves tiny pitmarks in them.

The polution from ICI was blamed by the Germans in the 80's for causing all the damage to the Black Forest. It still seems today that whenever they have a burnoff its always done at night. My feeling it that no one can see the polution that being sent into the atmosphere with the bright coloured flame. But I'm getting more cynical with age.

I generally do NOT work in the rain. If I'm cleaning a customers windows and it starts to rain..I'll finish it. If that happens and the customer is in I'll apologise and try to explain that the rain shouldn't make any difference to the clean and to let me know if they're not happy and I'll re-do them once it's stopped. 

I honestly do not feel comfortable working in the rain as I know if I had a window cleaner and he turned up in the rain I simply wouldn't be happy about it. Truth. Therefore, I simply won't work in it. That's just my own personal opinion. Very slight drizzle...yes I'll continue. Anything heavier than that and I'll wait it out or call it a day depending on how the forecast is looking. I believe you/I can lose customers from doing so...even if you give them the schpiel about how it's OK to work in it. The schpiel doesn't matter, if they have it in their heads they don't want their windows cleaned in the rain and you turn up and start to clean, there's a real chance you could pi** them off and lose them. Not worth it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally do NOT work in the rain. If I'm cleaning a customers windows and it starts to rain..I'll finish it. If that happens and the customer is in I'll apologise and try to explain that the rain shouldn't make any difference to the clean and to let me know if they're not happy and I'll re-do them once it's stopped. 

I honestly do not feel comfortable working in the rain as I know if I had a window cleaner and he turned up in the rain I simply wouldn't be happy about it. Truth. Therefore, I simply won't work in it. That's just my own personal opinion. Very slight drizzle...yes I'll continue. Anything heavier than that and I'll wait it out or call it a day depending on how the forecast is looking. I believe you/I can lose customers from doing so...even if you give them the schpiel about how it's OK to work in it. The schpiel doesn't matter, if they have it in their heads they don't want their windows cleaned in the rain and you turn up and start to clean, there's a real chance you could pi** them off and lose them. Not worth it for me.

If any customer told me not to do them I would ask them do they tell the decorator, plumber, electrician etc how to do their job? The only time I had a particularly anti rain customer I just said you're paying me to keep your windows clean so let me do it when I know it's safe to do so and if I don't then by all means get someone else to do them. Never had a peep out of her since. Again this all depends on your personal financial circumstances.  

Quite true. I once started a job one Xmas eve - it was well overcast, and when I got halfway thru the heavens opened up to torrential rain. It was my last job on Xmas eve and I wanted that 20 quid, so I just carried on and finished off. We were kinda friends as we supported the same football team, but I never heard from her again! I didn’t mind so much as it was one of them where she had to be off work to let me thru the garage to get to the backs. 

Got to define 'Rain'  

I work in the mist, drizzle or a light passing shower but I really don't care for working in heavy rain, don't really need to either.  Same as wind and temperature, once the conditions become uncomfortable then that's time to knock it on the head.  No point making yourself miserable. 

Dealing with customers with the rain is simple really 'I give you my word they will dry absolutely perfectly once the rain stops and if they don't then just call and I'll come and re-do them on the house'  no need to bore them with long winded explanations and if they aren't happy with that then they aren't worth (regardless of price) messing about with. 

My attitude to this may change when i'm full every day but i'm half with you. If I see a raised eyebrow about the rain or have a complaint that they don't want them cleaned when it's raining I might just duck them and fit them in somewhere else. I give them all the talk when I sign them up but I wouldn't push it. I think if someone is desperate and they ''have to'' work in the rain they are not running the business right. I am not talking about the likes of the ginger ninja and PT as above, i'm talking about people newer to the game. If you are desperate for the cash and that's the motivator for working in the rain then you're probably taking every penny out of the business. These people won't be able to pay the tax bill when it comes in, they won't be able to replace important equipment when it breaks etc. I believe you need to take a wage each month from a new business and leave the rest in an account. Give yourself a pay rise every few months as the business grows. If you keep an eye on what your expected regular income is you can work out what to pay yourself pretty easily and all of a sudden you aren't bothered about putting a customer back a few days because you know it will be done and the money will get to you in the end.

If any customer told me not to do them I would ask them do they tell the decorator, plumber, electrician etc how to do their job? The only time I had a particularly anti rain customer I just said you're paying me to keep your windows clean so let me do it when I know it's safe to do so and if I don't then by all means get someone else to do them. Never had a peep out of her since. Again this all depends on your personal financial circumstances.  

I kind of agree and disagree on this one. Comparing our job to decorators, plumbers etc is kind of like comparing apples to oranges imo. Those guys don't have those factors like weather to stop them doing their job really. For me, again, it's a personal thing. I just think if I clean their windows in the rain..they're thinking that they're wasting their money and paying me through gritted teeth. It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure plenty of you disagree with me. But yeah, I also agree if you are in hard times financially and desperately need to put food on the table or pay your heating bill...do it! In that case...I would do it too make no mistake. I'm just generalizing here. 

My attitude to this may change when i'm full every day but i'm half with you. If I see a raised eyebrow about the rain or have a complaint that they don't want them cleaned when it's raining I might just duck them and fit them in somewhere else. I give them all the talk when I sign them up but I wouldn't push it. I think if someone is desperate and they ''have to'' work in the rain they are not running the business right. I am not talking about the likes of the ginger ninja and PT as above, i'm talking about people newer to the game. If you are desperate for the cash and that's the motivator for working in the rain then you're probably taking every penny out of the business. These people won't be able to pay the tax bill when it comes in, they won't be able to replace important equipment when it breaks etc. I believe you need to take a wage each month from a new business and leave the rest in an account. Give yourself a pay rise every few months as the business grows. If you keep an eye on what your expected regular income is you can work out what to pay yourself pretty easily and all of a sudden you aren't bothered about putting a customer back a few days because you know it will be done and the money will get to you in the end.

Some good points made there mate and I totally agree. I think we all know our picky customers and those who are the more laid back ones. If I did NEED to work in the rain, I would most likely cherry pick those laid back ones that I know I could get away with. Leaving the not so ones for a better day.

Some good points made there mate and I totally agree. I think we all know our picky customers and those who are the more laid back ones. If I did NEED to work in the rain, I would most likely cherry pick those laid back ones that I know I could get away with. Leaving the not so ones for a better day.
If someone needs to work in the rain they need to rethink this, get a flexible part time job until window cleaning pays the bills. Most of us will have been on our ar5e at some point but if people want a long term sustainable business then cleaning in a monsoon is not the way to build it. Still I have no problem cleaning in light rain. If its gonna be on and off all day I just sit in the van when its pouring and watch something on Netflix. That is assuming I haven't got anything to be getting on with at home.

Got to define 'Rain'  

I work in the mist, drizzle or a light passing shower but I really don't care for working in heavy rain, don't really need to either.  Same as wind and temperature, once the conditions become uncomfortable then that's time to knock it on the head.  No point making yourself miserable. 

Dealing with customers with the rain is simple really 'I give you my word they will dry absolutely perfectly once the rain stops and if they don't then just call and I'll come and re-do them on the house'  no need to bore them with long winded explanations and if they aren't happy with that then they aren't worth (regardless of price) messing about with. 
It wasnt raining when i was out today its because it had been forecast. It hammered down in the afternoon but i was on my way home then. She said I ain't paying to have them done because they get dirty straight away with this weather lol. Pain in the **** I've cleared them all off my round now anyway.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I kind of agree and disagree on this one. Comparing our job to decorators, plumbers etc is kind of like comparing apples to oranges imo.
They are paid to do a job and so are we, I'm not suggesting working in torrential rain or heavy rain and strong winds. If you can work with a jacket and the rain isn't bouncing off the windows then it is perfectly safe to clean them. The trouble you will find is once they tell you when you can do their windows the criteria of when you're allowed will narrow. 

@P4dstarwhat would happen if we have 2 weeks of rain, it's not necessary for me to work when it's raining. The principle is I run my own business and within reason I will work when I want to, and especially when I think its suitable for me to do so. At the end of the day we supply a service that can be cancelled at anytime, however we also can stop offering our services as well. 

I guess one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to clean in the rain is that 80-85% of my round is fortnightly customers. I'd be a lot more willing to clean customers who are bi monthly or more in the rain as then I'd feel I could justify the clean more. I only have 2 customers on bi monthly as I tend to do fortnightly and monthly cleans.

@P4dstarwhat would happen if we have 2 weeks of rain, it's not necessary for me to work when it's raining. The principle is I run my own business and within reason I will work when I want to, and especially when I think its suitable for me to do so. At the end of the day we supply a service that can be cancelled at anytime, however we also can stop offering our services as well. 
I agree completely mate, we should all be able to dictate when we clean. This is similar to the conversations we have on slow payers though, some people can't afford to drop the ones who mess them around because of a bit of rain, thats something we need to remember.

What i'm getting at is people should plan for problems especially in the early days. If you leave yourself so reliant on cleaning that one customers on that one day that you try and do it in a hailstorm then you're probably gonna be told to sling your hook. If people plan their business and finances a little it can really help. Similarly you need to leave yourself with a degree of flexibility. Garwood has previously said not to let them demand you turn on the 6th Monday at 3pm etc. If you know you can do that customer a couple of days later then you won't go out in horrific weather to clean them and if you plan financially that won't matter.

I guess one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to clean in the rain is that 80-85% of my round is fortnightly customers. I'd be a lot more willing to clean customers who are bi monthly or more in the rain as then I'd feel I could justify the clean more. I only have 2 customers on bi monthly as I tend to do fortnightly and monthly cleans.
How the hell have you got a whole round of 2 weekly customers?!! ? Good on yer!

How the hell have you got a whole round of 2 weekly customers?!! ? Good on yer!

It's just the norm for where I live mate. However, now when I'm taking on new customers I'm only giving them the monthly option as I feel that's the way things are going. Unless the customer absolutely insists on fortnightly that is.

Latest Posts

Back